Skip to main content

Per an email my son got this a.m., I read that the 2012 Stamford All Stars Camp will be held on June 28 - July 1, 2012. This is at the same time as the 18 U WWBA. (June 28 - July 6). Looking back, it seems this overlap happens in most years. Do players do both? Or are most kids at the Stanford Camp age group more likely to be in the 17U WWBa?

In reading about Stamford Camp on HHBBW, it sounds like it is an oportunity not to be missed.

IF my 2013 RHP son has the opportunity/ is lucky enough to be selected for Stanford Camp (and I know that is a big "if"!!, I understand that it sells out, etc.), but his team is very likely to do the 18U WWBA (because we may have 1-2 kids who will age us out of the 17U), do folks have any suggestions about which path to take? I realize there are lots of variables in this!

byw, This connects to another question I had asked in another thread about the relative benefits of 18 vs 17 WWBA, for a rising senior. How do teams decide which tournament is best for a team?

I really appreciate any discussion on the topic, so we can start thinking this through. Maybe others will be thinking about the same issue(s). Thank you!
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Agree with TR. Look at the previous years coaches to see if they are from the schools your son is targeting. I believe the WWB 17U is the preferred event. Don't forget about Headfirst as this is a good alternative to Stanford. My son did Stanford but not Headfirst. Stanford is a huge event so there is a chance that he can be lost in the numbers there, I also believe there is more teaching/learning happening there also. The other event for high academic kids is the Az Fall Classic Academic game. You are from NE so I am sure there are more regional events that might be closer to home and less costly for you. Not putting down Stanford at all, but flying across the country makes it a pretty expensive event so I would ask TR, fenwaysouth, and some others experience from the East Coast for their input on a high academic player.
TR -I totally agree, which is why Stanford appeals. Yet BOF, to your point, we can do Head First in NY in Aug with very min expense. It just sounds like the experience at Stanford is outstanding.

DLock, those are tough choices to make for sure!

I hope to hear more about that 17U vs 18U WWBA. Most of our team will be rising seniors, some younger, but we have two that will be over 18 and graduated from HS by that time.

Thanks, Folks, keep the input coming!
mom,

I can tell you the Stanford experience is wonderful, so often however everyone here is just focused on the exposure. Players stay in the dorms, the instruction is great, they are kept moving the whole time, each team is run by a college coach, Coach Stotz is one of a kind and is an absolute kick to listen to, and your son will quickly figure out where he fits in the whole baseball recruiting world. I also believe all teams play one game at the sunken diamond. For all of this it is worth the price, as long as it is budgeted and part of your plan - go for it. If you are coming from the east then you have to also spend some time in San Francisco, one of the most unique cities in the USA. By all means come on out, our state can use the additional revenue!
Baseballmometcetc,

By the sound of things I think you've got your mind made up to go and imo you've made a good choice.

My son went twice and its simply a great experience. Besides the high academic schools that are listed, quite a number of recuiters from non-listed schools show up as well.

As others rightly pointed out, especially coming from the east, you can get the same exposure for less $$ with Headfirst but the camp is something you and your son will always remember.

And on a personal note, in a round about way, the camp was pivotal in determing where my son ending up going so it has pleasant memories all the way around for us.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.