Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Matt Dickason & Dean Ali are uncommitted. They have some offers they are mulling, but probably going to hold off until October.

A couple that I haven't heard committing:

Michael Cole (CF/C - Deep Creek) - that kid can play.
Rian Ellis (P/IF - Grassfield) - someone with the Richmond Braves may be able to provide info here.

Also... I mentioned him in another post, but a relatively unknown (compared to Ali & Dickason) at IR is 3B Josh Carter. He was 1st team All-SED and after hitting no HRs this spring, batted over .400 with 5 HRs (a couple of legit 400+ footers) & 20 RBI in 60 ABs or so in Legion this summer. He hasn't done a showcase or travel team, but hopefully he'll find a home by the time spring ends.
Last edited by RiverBaseball24
Without going into tooo much detail, Ali & Dickason are wide open at this point, but have had contact or an outright offer from VMI, ODU, W&M, NSU, CNU.

I have to say on Ali's behalf, his rep as a pitcher has has almost gone against him as it has underrated his offensive production/potential. UVA & Tech took a look at him primarily as a pitcher and at 82-84 on their guns, they weren't sold for "ACC material" yet.

However, he clocked out at 87-88 at Harbor Park in the spring & although he's 6'2, he's only 158 lbs (has a projectible frame).

And although he may very easily add velocity as a pitcher, he is running a 6.7 - 60 (baseball clearinghouse showcase) & was SED POY due to his pitching but also his BAT as he hit .475, 5 HRs, 29 RBI, 13 SBs in 61 ABs (he added 3 doubles, 3 HRs, 5 SBs in 24 ABs w Legion team). With some work on his throws (carries his 3-quarters slot with him), he should develop into a D-1 outfielder with speed and power.

He and Dickason are still making the rounds with the Richmond Braves 17U team and as I said, letting the entire summer play out before sitting down and weighing options.
Question RB24, as competitive as IR has been over the past 2 years, it seems like much of the attention has been given to Ali and Dickason.. along with Carter who you mentioned, are there any other 'dark horse' players that have college potential? ( '10 '11 or '12 )

and WBReporter, i know thompson is.. '11 if i`m not mistaken? but are there any college level kids coming up at WB?

and anybody know about GB? i've heard about a.... stokes, pitcher i believe?
Well.. other than those main 3, one guy who could "come out of nowhere" in the spring is C/P Will Heath ('10). He made 2nd-Team DH this past spring (.364, 1 HR), but hopefully will be a major contributer on the mound in 2010.

He's a similar story size-wise as Ali... but he's taller, at 6'4 but only around 155-160 lbs (PLENTY of room to add). He's been a career C, but last offseason we put him on the bump and went to work. He contributed a little this past year (8.1 IP, 3 BB, 12 K) as a junior, getting his feet wet. This summer, he got a lot more work, and was very effective (1.73 ERA, 28.1 IP, just 6 BB). He REALLY showed up in the legion district tourney as he tossed a 109-pitch, 9-inning CG vs Granby in the 1st round. He walked the first batter of the game, then none the rest of the way.

He's borderline D-3 at this point as he is around 80-82 tops as of right now, but although he is very raw, he throws a lot of strikes (13.2 p/inn this summer)... it's a matter of getting more out of his body and working in some secondary pitches to miss more bats.

One guy who is improving more and more is Dickason's successor at SS/P, Roger Hall (c/o '12). He got a taste of playing with the big boys this summer with Legion and played well (10 IP, .162 opp BA, 12 K & ended the summer starting to figure out the pitching, going 5 for his last 9).

He is already touching 80 with a very sharp breaking ball, he just needs more work repeating his delivery (11 BB in the 10 IP this summer). He is a very solid defensive SS with an above avg bat (.364, 16 RBI, only 4 K in 55 AB as frosh w JV this spring). He has the potential to make big strides quickly.
I'll throw out some of the best not yet committed 10's that I can think of of the top of my head. I am sure that a lot of these names are near the top on recruiting lists and soon to be taken.

Logan Walker,MIF Matoaca
Evan Houde, RHP Brooke Point
Conner Kaufman, RHP LC Byrd
Dylan Payne OF Massaponax
Travis Payne, MIF Spotsylvania
Jordan Tarsovich, MIF Trinity
Charles O'Neil, RHP Mountain View
Walker Turner, C Broadway
Ryan McBroom, 1B Courtland
Brandon Scott, MIF Eastern View
Danny Mooney, RHP Cosby
Dalton Renick, MIF Deep Run
Landon Prentis, MIF/OF Henrico
Patrick Arnold, LHP/OF Lord Botetourt
I am interested in a few names of players who impressed me in summer 2009--have not heard where they are going:

1. Nate Hoffa--was with Canes at one point; Manassas Park pitcher; very good.

2. Ryan Weatherholtz--pitches for Osborne Park.

3. Lem Zeigler--played for PVI and now with BI.

4. Nick McGovern--played for both PVI and Lee; was a superstud pitcher way back with Mazda Mets; suffered football injuries.

5. Nate White (maybe a 2009)--big hitter; tons of talent; clutch too.

Most of these guys played for Stan Wilson's No Va Patriots. Any word on any of the other guys from Stan's teams?

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.