Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I like the Henderson kid, but he hasn't seen the pitching being that he plays for a private school.
quote:
Originally posted by MUFan:
Who are the top 2012 hitters in Virginia that attend public school and the top 2012 hitters from the private school arena? I guess Josh Henderson is a given although I know he is home schooled.
I have to go with Vann, Lowe, Blake, and Cody as the best hitters I've seen all year. Lowe and Vann can hit oppo and are dying to see a curve or change-up thrown at em.
quote:
Originally posted by LDRIVE:
When looking at this topic, look at the whole kid, not can he hit bombs, but can he hit the breaking ball and off speed pitch's
quote:
Originally posted by Bubba12:
I like the Henderson kid, but he hasn't seen the pitching being that he plays for a private school.

You couldn't be more wrong. Josh excelled during the summer against the highest level pitching playing for the Canes and at National level events like PG All American game. The pitching at these events are significantly greater than what he would face in HS.

Conversely, a hitter like Vann has fed off mediocre to decent HS pitching and hasn't faced the National level type pitching on a consistent basis.
Last edited by redbird5
IT's obvious you are one of the cane coaches, but I don't have an interest in any one hitter. Why would you single out one kid out of the list given?
quote:
Originally posted by redbird5:
quote:

You couldn't be more wrong. Josh excelled during the summer against the highest level pitching playing for the Canes and at National level events like PG All American game. The pitching at these events are significantly greater than what he would face in HS.

Conversely, a hitter like Vann has fed off mediocre to decent HS pitching and hasn't faced the National level type pitching on a consistent basis.
quote:
quote:

Obviously, what you have stated is absolutely true. However, when looking at both Josh and Zach swing it, my personal observation is that Vann would have no problem hitting well against top tier pitching. I tend to believe that if he saw a Connor Jones type of arm more regularly, more balls would be flying out of the ballpark. He is a top-level hitter, there is no doubt in my mind.
Last edited by GoHeels
quote:
IT's obvious you are one of the cane coaches, but I don't have an interest in any one hitter. Why would you single out one kid out of the list given?

What gave away that I am a Canes coach?!?

I mentioned the 2 hitters because you mentioned Josh. The two hitters I mentioned are in completely separate classes. Josh is elite - so much so that he is being considered a high draft pick. Vann is not. It's not a slight to Vann. It's just a fact.
Last edited by redbird5
quote:
Originally posted by GoHeels:

Obviously, what you have stated is absolutely true. However, when looking at both Josh and Zach swing it, my personal observation is that Vann would have no problem hitting well against top tier pitching. I tend to believe that if he saw a Connor Jones type of arm more regularly, more balls would be flying out of the ballpark. He is a top-level hitter, there is no doubt in my mind.

I will keep my opinion until Vann proves me wrong. We see different things.
Only problem I had with this whole vann Henderson thing is, You never brought up the other kid's i mentioned...is there a hidden message here?
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by GoHeels:

I will keep my opinion until Vann proves me wrong. We see different things.
They are all good hitters. They all do things better then one another. Henderson is a great hitter and so is Vann. Vann has proved it at the high school level and Henderson with the Canes. I beleive given the chance Vann would crush Canes pitching as well. Henderson is such a shelterd kid who knows what he would have done in HS. Vann on the other hand has basically owned every pitcher in the SED this year? What else is their to prove redbird???? If you look from the start of the season to now in regional play the kid is hitting **** near .500. 3-3 Monday, in the District lose to GB last week the team had 9 hits guess who had 4 of them?(Vann). When Henderson was playing in the Red/Black Games in the early spring with River, Scouts were asking about Vann as well so their you have it.
quote:
Only problem I had with this whole vann Henderson thing is, You never brought up the other kid's i mentioned...is there a hidden message here?

No hidden message at all. In fact, it is very out in the open. I do not think he is as good as you (an obvious NR homer).

Blake is in the same boat. He hasn't proven he can handle top notch pitching consistently.
quote:
Originally posted by nrbb07:
They are all good hitters. They all do things better then one another. Henderson is a great hitter and so is Vann. Vann has proved it at the high school level and Henderson with the Canes. I beleive given the chance Vann would crush Canes pitching as well. Henderson is such a shelterd kid who knows what he would have done in HS. Vann on the other hand has basically owned every pitcher in the SED this year? What else is their to prove redbird???? If you look from the start of the season to now in regional play the kid is hitting **** near .500. 3-3 Monday, in the District lose to GB last week the team had 9 hits guess who had 4 of them?(Vann). When Henderson was playing in the Red/Black Games in the early spring with River, Scouts were asking about Vann as well so their you have it.

Hitting 80-84mph HS pitching is quite different than 86-88 with secondary stuff. It's night and day. I'll take the kids who have proven they can hit it consistently. Until a hitter shows he can do that, he's not a "great" hitter in my book. A scout "asking" about a player is MUCH different than in home visits, calling in Cross Checkers, etc.

Again, we see things differently.
quote:
quote:

This is a key perspective. As good as folks want to make the SED pitching and it is pretty good for HS at least for 3-4 teams every year there are not that many kids that are going and becoming big time pitchers beyond HS.

If you look over the last few seasons here are a few pitchers from SED and what's happened to them this season:

Van Asche 4-7 4.08 Norfolk State
Ali 3-4 2.32 ODU
Harris 0-2 5.73 ODU
McCarthey 0-5 8.19 ODU
Flarherty 3-1 3.04 Army
Cox 7-1 3.39 Louisberg JC
Thompson - Not a pitcher in college

Everyone needs to remember to be a dominant HS pitcher all you need is the ability to spot 84 and a curve you can get over a little more than a 1/3 of the time. You won't see any of that kind of pitching in big time college ball or professionally becasue it would get hammered. In HS it retires about 70-80% of the hitters routinely.
quote:
Originally posted by luv baseball:

This is a key perspective. As good as folks want to make the SED pitching and it is pretty good for HS at least for 3-4 teams every year there are not that many kids that are going and becoming big time pitchers beyond HS.

I don't necessarily disagree, but isn't this true for every district in the state or even the country? I've watched a significant amount of college baseball this year (I'm talking SEC and ACC) and I think your statement would also ring true if you said not that many (college) kids are going and becoming big time pitchers beyond college.

There are a lot of pitchers at the collegiate level that I've seen on TV throwing 84 to 86. They most likely have better offspeed stuff than the top level HS pitcher, but they also have more years of additional development under their belts.

I guess I'm not sure comparing HS pitchers to collegiate pitchers or collegiate to professional as I did is entirely fair. Now of course there are exceptions to the rule, for instance Rodon from NC State or even Nathan Kirby from James River.
Last edited by Go Dawgs
Go Dawgs - Yes it is true and that is Redbirds point which I am agreeing with and amplfying. Most HS hitters will either never face or see maybe one or two true big time pitchers for their whole career.

Redbirds point is there are thouusands of kids every year that can bang an 83 MPH fastball from the typical HS pitcher that can't get any breaking ball over and he is putting it 2 or 3" into the plate. There are hundreds that can hit the 86+. There are dozens that can hit 86+ and the breaking ball. There are a couple of handfuls that will do that with power.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.