Skip to main content

Indian River 4 - Western Branch 1

IR clinches a district title with the win.

Dean Ali earned his 7th win as he tosses an 87-pitch, 0 walk, 4-hitter and C Justin Shockley's 2-run double in the first proved to be the clincher.

Chris Cartwright provided the insurance run with an RBI single in the 3rd.

Shockley - 1-3, 2B, 2 RBI
Carter - 2-3, 2B
Ali - 1-2, run, HBP - 7 IP, 4 H, 1 R, 0 BB, 5 K, Win
Dickason - 1-2, 2 runs, BB
Cartwright - 1-3, run, RBI
Inskeep - 1-2, BB

Ali has been very impressive down the stretch. Over last 6 Appearances:
5-0, 29 IP, 23 H, 4 ER, 8 BB, 27 K, 0.97 ERA.

S. Johnsonbaugh for WB settled down after a 3-run 1st inning to throw a good game for the Bruins. The kid is just a freshman... this WB team is definitely one that will rise quickly with how much young talent they have...

ALSO ... wanted to mention... IR's CF Sean Wolfe (who will sign with Albemarle this weekend) broke his hand during Monday's game vs Lakeland and is out for the remainder of the season. It's a huge loss for the Braves... and a tough break for a genuinely fantastic kid.
Last edited {1}
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Wow... Amazing.

Every single foul ball was marked in the book and the pitching chart (for example, the 4 hit with 2 strikes by J. Kidd to lead off the game)... 87 pitches... both records matched.

I am telling you a fact... 87 pitches.

Why in the world would you try and say the official home team book & pitching charts are wrong? Were you there keeping a pitch-by-pitch tally? If someone was, PERHAPS a parent/fan in the stands were wrong with anything other than 87.

...And why would it be so important to try and point out something different???

I thought we agreed to never comment on each other again... Roll Eyes
Last edited by RiverBaseball24
quote:
Originally posted by earlydawn:
I have one other game I missed -- do you know what happened with the first game between Grassfield and Kings Fork? Thanks...

Spoke with a Grassfield parent on Monday, 5/11. That parent said that they had not played King's Fork either game, other than 1 inning or so when the game was called due to weather. Saw in the paper today that King's Fork beat Grassfield on Tuesday, 5/12. So it appears that there is a Grassfield / King's Fork game which has not been played.
quote:
Originally posted by 3up-3down:
Excuse me, I didn't hear you I was polishing my National Championship Trophy.

Do you play? Haha

Congrats on the National Championship. I see you handle it with class. In our age group, we finished higher than the Braves in every tourney we played. They have talented teams and so do we.

No, I don't play. I coach but I like how you deflected the question without answering it.

I'm not sure our age group Braves are playing in the same tourneys as my team. If you are intent on playing the Canes, call the tourney director and request them in your schedule. Again, my team is willing to play anyone, at any age group.
Last edited by redbird5
HR Fan, agree with your comment about WB. If you kept the preseason poll from the Pilot, it listed
Cox, GC, IR, GB, Maury, Kellam, PA, NR, OL and Landstown.
The most recent poll by the Pilot had GC, IR, Cox, Kellam, Maury, FC, Hickory, WB, GB and OL.

Congrats to all teams and those headed to the playoffs, especially First Colonial, Hickory and Western Branch who have exceeded (other's) expectations.
quote:
Too bad about NR's troubles, the paper article shed some light.

I think the newapaper article was a red herring to place the blame where it doesn't belong. Believe me that article didn't tell the whole story. NR didn't come anywhere near pre season expectations from their very first game. Find out who contacted the Pilot, what was their agenda? Talk to others about the parties involved. It's pretty hard to take a guy who donated over $100,000 to a program and make him a bad guy, especially since he's given so much to so many other individuals and programs without drawing attention to himself but they did it.
I'd say it's a classic case of shifting blame to divert attention from the real cause of the problem, and to say antything about his son who's a great kid and good enough ball player to play on any team in this area is low.
quote:
Originally posted by El gato:
HR Fan, agree with your comment about WB. If you kept the preseason poll from the Pilot, it listed
Cox, GC, IR, GB, Maury, Kellam, PA, NR, OL and Landstown.
The most recent poll by the Pilot had GC, IR, Cox, Kellam, Maury, FC, Hickory, WB, GB and OL.

Congrats to all teams and those headed to the playoffs, especially First Colonial, Hickory and Western Branch who have exceeded (other's) expectations.

And that was the inspiration for FC, not being
ranked. Sure lit a fire under a great group of kids
who play and give 110%......
To follow up on Can-O-Corn’s remarks, whenever this reporter had reason to be at NR, this reporter observed John Miller, and only John Miller, weeding the beds, wacking the grass, spraying for bugs, etc. He was always doing something at that field. He obtained professional hitting lessons for many of the NR players. MANY Western Branch parents and supporters spent long hours raising over $80,000 to build a hitting dome. John Miller virtually single handedly raised the funds and contributed many thousands of his own money to build a cinder block hitting facility which appears to be so well constructed one could probably live in it. When did NR send Mr. Miller a written acknowledgment of his donation of time, labor and money? If they did not acknowledge it, maybe they, too, thought it was on loan. Yes, Mr. Miller may have removed some tangible items (loaned?) such as L-screens, netting, even turf which through his connections he had obtained. But he left behind an expensive building as a permanent improvement. Maybe some other NR parents can donate long hours to raise the funds for the (relatively) inexpensive items Mr. Miller removed.
Last edited by WB Reporter
Hey I am not saying Mr. Miller is the issue. Far from it. He should be commended. I do not know him, but I know 2 of the others who also donated heavily for that project without any personal agenda. I have no reason to believe him to be any different.

If my post implied that I am truly sorry.

I just think NR was unable "to be all they could be". And that is a shame.
HR Fan
My rant was not directed towards you, sorry if it came off that way. It was directed to the reporter who was duped into making the report where a good man was slurred to further someone elses agenda. I just think the reporter was used, and the real truth didn't come out. John Miller ended up in the article looking like the villain and I think the opposite is true.

I too think NR was unable to be all they could be, and there in lies the problem, who to blame.
Last edited by can-o-corn
Redbird,
Don't you like the ad on TV?
Lighten up and have some fun. Our boys will be grown men before you know it.

Our Braves'10 team has never played any Canes team,ever. Maybe the stars will align and our paths will cross this summer. I am sure that most of the boys on each team know each other and would have a great time playing each other. My son trained with two Canes this past winter and they became good friends. Probably because they share the same passion for the game they love.

That is good that the '12 teams will play at UVA in July. They might as well get used to it because most of these boys will see each other again many times all the way through college.

Best of luck in your inaugural season with the Canes organization.
3up

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.