Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Western Branch 2 Grassfield 1. WB avenged its earlier season loss to Grassfield tonight. In a well pitched game, Ingrahm (6 hits, 1 ER, 0 BB, 5Ks) for GF and Thompson (4 hits, 1 ER, 1 BB, 7Ks) for WB threw complete games. GF scored its only run in the top of the 1st; Jordan Miller reached on a FC, advanced to second on a ground out and scored on Rian Ellis' single up the middle. WB responded in the bottom of the 4th with a single run and scored the go-ahead run in the bottom of the 5th on a single by James Fiorella, 2 bunts and a sac fly by Shane Johnsonbaugh. Six Bruins had hits.
Last edited by WB Reporter
Cox 10- GR 1

GR hung tough early and jumped out to an early 1-0 lead, but with only ~12 players on the team, its obvious they have to have a few guys playing out of position. The kids never quit though and the coaches seemed to stay positive. Hopefully the team will continue to improve. The first step is to field a JV team to feed the varsity. They are 3-0 outside of district play so that gives them some success to build on
Indian River 17 - Nansemond River 3 (5 inn)

The first 12 Braves reached base (the first 7 faced VMI-bound E. Keeton) in a 10-run first inning.

Chris Cartwright & Will Heath hit back-to-back home runs to chase Keeton while Justin Shockley blasted his 3rd & 4th HRs of the season (J. Pitt hit a solo for NR).

Dean Ali finished 4-for-4 (and earned the win), Heath 3-3 (HR), Shockley 3-4 (2 HR), while Matt Dickason, Josh Carter, & Clayton Inskeep all finished with 2 hits.

The Braves will play Grassfield Wednesday April 22nd (today) at Harbor Park.
quote:
Originally posted by WB Reporter:
Western Branch 2 Grassfield 1. WB avenged its earlier season loss to Grassfield tonight. In a well pitched game, Ingrahm (6 hits, 1 ER, 0 BB, 5Ks) for GF and Thompson (4 hits, 1 ER, 1 BB, 7Ks) for WB threw complete games. GF scored its only run in the top of the 1st; Nykolai Ellis singled to RF, advanced to 2B on a FC and scored on Rian Ellis' single up the middle. WB responded in the bottom of the 4th with a single run and scored the go-ahead run in the bottom of the 5th on a single by James Fiorella, 2 bunts and a sac fly by Shane Johnsonbaugh. Six Bruins had hits.

WB - my book showed that the pitch runner (for Nykolai’s hit) was thrown out on a questionable FC call at second and Rian Ellis hit a 3B (2 for 3) to score Jordan Miller. Other offensive contributors were Nykolai Ellis 2 for 3 and Jason Carter 1 for 3. My book also has Ingram with only 5 hits.
WB - my book showed that the pitch runner (for Nykolai’s hit) was thrown out on a questionable FC call at second and Rian Ellis hit a 3B (2 for 3) to score Jordan Miller. Other offensive contributors were Nykolai Ellis 2 for 3 and Jason Carter 1 for 3. My book also has Ingram with only 5 hits.[/QUOTE]

Agreed that Nykolai's pinch runner did not score, was forced out at 2b on a call that did not look questionable from the 3b line or from the view of the umpire who was closer to the play than either of us. Jordan Miller scored on a single by Rian Ellis which was misplayed/got by the WB CF allowing Rian to advance to 3B. Don't see how Rian was 2 for 3 when his first AB was the just mentioned hit, on his 2nd AB the ball one-hopped to the WB third baseman who sailed it over the first baseman before the runner got there and on the third AB he flew out to CF. The official book kept by the home team (and not by me) showed 4 hits for GF and 6 hits for WB.
Granted I was not at the game but saw the book that was kept and was told by others. However, you are correct that WB was home team and “official book.” That doesn’t mean that we have to agree with the particular call made on the field or decisions made by the “Home team”. Many times “Fans” from the sideline see things differently (right or wrong) and I’m sure you have not agreed with every call that was made against your team. It doesn’t matter at this point – what the official calls .. that’s what it is. As far as hits, those close ones are judgmental calls. Therefore, it was the judgment of the bookkeeper that Ellis hit the ball past the CF and he would have beaten out the throw from 3B. Therefore, in my opinion 5 hits. Defensively in the four, the shortstop made a throwing error to allow Shane on first. Two out later, SS made another error that allowed the run to score. Hence, the unearned run, WB 5hits. Well, at this point I don’t believe nothing more positive can come from this, therefore I will close by saying I shall agree to disagree.
Last edited by GF
Never said Shane's run was earned. Agree that it was not earned. Hence the reason the report showed GF pitcher as giving up ONE ER. According to WB web site, WB scorer credited Garrett Brooks (who runs a 6.6 60 and who has bunted for hits on a number of occasions) with a hit on the bunt in the 5th inning. Interesting how it can be said that he "would have beaten out the throw" when the throw passed over the first baseman's head before the runner got to first. Fortunately, the final score is not a judgment call.
quote:
Originally posted by WB Reporter:
Never said Shane's run was earned. Agree that it was not earned. Hence the reason the report showed GF pitcher as giving up ONE ER. According to WB web site, WB scorer credited Garrett Brooks (who runs a 6.6 60 and who has bunted for hits on a number of occasions) with a hit on the bunt in the 5th inning. Interesting how it can be said that he "would have beaten out the throw" when the throw passed over the first baseman's head before the runner got to first. Fortunately, the final score is not a judgment call.

I misread the box under Garrett, so ok with the hit. Although the "bunt" was a flyball that the 3b should of caught and the pitcher and 3b miscommunicated. Also, I never diagreed with your statement concerning one ER, so i have no idea with that particular comment came from. finally about your final comment about a judgment call on the final score.. DUH!
I know Garret is fast, who timed him?
Last edited by GF
quote:
Originally posted by Chris Taylor:
quote:
Originally posted by no way:
sorry meant Patriots oops....

That's ok, when I wrestled for FC way back in the late '70's, my singlet said "PATROITS" on the front. Never realized it until it was mentioned in the paper late in the season Smile

Chris,Didnt know you went to FC....all the more reason you should have put us in your preseason top 10!!!! Smile

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.