Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

A player is interested in and has interest from a college, after video , emails and contact with players HS and Travel coaches.  The player believes that there is a strong possibility he will have an opportunity to verbally commit to that school when he attends their camp this fall. He likes the school but would like to explore other opportunities before making a decision. Should he go to the camp? and if so how should he handle the conversation without giving a commitment, but letting the school know he is very interested in the school?  Is he better off putting off going to the camp until the spring or summer?

Originally Posted by JABMK:

A player is interested in and has interest from a college, after video , emails and contact with players HS and Travel coaches.  The player believes that there is a strong possibility he will have an opportunity to verbally commit to that school when he attends their camp this fall. He likes the school but would like to explore other opportunities before making a decision. Should he go to the camp? and if so how should he handle the conversation without giving a commitment, but letting the school know he is very interested in the school?  Is he better off putting off going to the camp until the spring or summer?

I would attend the camp and then be honest in the conversation about what you're thinking.  It very well could prompt the coach to be more open as well...giving his own time line and constraints.

I've said this many times on here...if you simply communicate honestly with people whether its a scout, a college coach or your HS or travel coach...you will nearly always be appreciated for it and get honest communication in return.

2015 I hear this is when(fall) when  most upper D1  schools finish their recruiting process and move on to 2016 during the upcoming summer. Not to say it is to late for 2015 as this class will begin to  sign Lower d 1 and d2 signings etc....  This is what I heard for a few people hanging at the ball field. Any validity to that statement?

Originally Posted by thegrind:

2015 I hear this is when(fall) when  most upper D1  schools finish their recruiting process and move on to 2016 during the upcoming summer. Not to say it is to late for 2015 as this class will begin to  sign Lower d 1 and d2 signings etc....  This is what I heard for a few people hanging at the ball field. Any validity to that statement?

I don't think you can make a blanket statement like that.  There are a lot of very good D1's who are still working on their 2015 class.  The PG WWBA was just last week and an awful lot of talented 2015's just showed up on some D1 radars after that.  Heck, there are some good pretty D1's still signing 2014's right now.  A friend of my son's got an offer as a pitcher last week....after basically having no D1 contact of any kind until about a month ago after a showcase. 

Isn't it amazing how exaggerated some things can get on the baseball field sideline? "Full rides," "early commitments," "radar gun readings," "60 times," "pop times," "so-and-so is being recruited by Top 10 University," etc. Before you know it, recruiting panic has begun to spread from the first to the top row of the stands.

The by-phrase there might more appropriately be, "Mistrust, but verify."

Originally Posted by Prepster:

Isn't it amazing how exaggerated some things can get on the baseball field sideline? "Full rides," "early commitments," "radar gun readings," "60 times," "pop times," "so-and-so is being recruited by Top 10 University," etc. Before you know it, recruiting panic has begun to spread from the first to the top row of the stands.

The by-phrase there might more appropriately be, "Mistrust, but verify."

No kidding!

Originally Posted by Proud Praent:

Dangerous in my opinion, to many things can happen between now an then.  Coaches leave, they find a better fit for them.  People need to think long an hard about this.  My two cents.

Think long and hard about what?  Early commitments?  Making a commitment on a camp visit?

Just trying to understand your point.

Originally Posted by JABMK:

This is refreshing! Usually kids (parents) are wondering about which camps to attend to maximize offers. In this situation there is concern about maybe not attending a camp because the player might get an offer.

I think you have answered your own question when you said, "how should he handle the conversation without giving a commitment, but letting the school know he is very interested in the school?"

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.