Taylor McConnell, 3B, Poquoson, VA, Poquoson, Marshall

Shawn Morimando, LHP, Virginia Beach, VA, East Carolina

David Spinosa, RHP, Charlottesville, VA, St. Anne's-Belfield

Nick Thompson, INF, Chesapeake, VA, Western Branch, East Carolina

Kenny Towns, INF, Burke, VA, Lake Braddock, Virginia

Joseph Vanderplas, LHP, Fairfax, VA, Fairfax, Tennessee

Kevin White, C, Charlottesville, VA, St. Anne's-Belfield, Michigan

Luke Willis, OF, Vienna, VA, Oakton, Coastal Carolina

The list, along with other info about the players and a map of where they're from, is at: http://rivals.yahoo.com/virgin...g/rankings/rank-2841

I corrected one position, inserted RH/LH for the pitchers, and added one or two commitments that have appeared in this forum.

Geographic distribution: 8 from Tidewater (4 each from Peninsula and southside); 6 NOVA; 2 Richmond area; 2 Charlottesville.

Only 3 of these players are staying in state. I have no idea what that says (if anything) about how in-state programs are recruiting or how the people compiling this list esteem out-of-state commitments. But it does kind of stand out.

Any surprises? Who got overlooked? Other comments?
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

First, I'll congratulate Will Brown of the Virginia Cardinals! For Will to get this recognition after getting so few chances with Matoaca last spring indicates how many heads he turned on the travel circuit this past summer and fall. He went from off the RADAR to being pursued by Duke, Boston College and others before accepting with Georgetown.

But second: If this is a top 20 list, it has room for 2 more. And one of the additions would have to be Josh Gardiner.

Josh was AA first team all state as a junior at Eastern View (Culpeper) in 2010, where he led his team to the state tournament. He played with the Cardinals from June to October and was the heart and soul of our team. In addition to having all the tools, he plays pedal to the metal at all times and tacitly challenges all his teammates to play the same way. I don't know anyone who ever saw us play who didn't come away asking, who's THAT kid?

The boy hits for average, hits for power, hits in the clutch, has 6.7 speed, steals bases, is an outstanding fielder, and has enough arm to crank it up to 88 on the mound if needed. As for the "sixth tool", makeup, give me 9 Josh Gardiners and I will mop up any team you care to put on the field.

Since we have no players on the list west of Charlottesville, maybe we can fix that hole on the list as well.

I think this kid is going to hold a lot of Radford records before he's done, and will undoubtedly be a pro draft in 2014 if not this year.
Class of 2011-Cream of the CropHere is the free link for the complete list, check back early and often for corrections, additions, updates, etc.

Since this is a free link, prefer you use the link rather than copy and paste the info here. We don't charge for viewing this page, but your page views will help our site, with about .00001 cent per view in ad revenue. Trust me, it is about that small.

Thanks for your interest in our site, and we always welcome comments and feedback. We really appreciate all of the coaches, scouts, etc, that provided input for the composition of this list. Watch for the 2012 list coming soon!

http://rivals.yahoo.com/virgin...CGXzMl41TJB4]VaPreps Class of 2011 Cream of the Crop![/URL]

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.