Skip to main content

Let's start the debate!

Any preseason/early season predictions on which will be the top teams in the 2006 WCAC? The usual contenders are always the easy picks to occupy the top four spots --- St. John's, Dematha, Good Counsel and Paul VI --- but which is most likely to have the pitching and power to win the league? What about Gonzaga, O'Connell and McNamara this year? Any surprises with some good returning players and maybe some new kids? Will these teams knock off some of the usual powerhouses? Maybe Ireton's, Ryken's and Carroll's prospects are looking up this year?

What do you think? Who are the players to watch -- the pitchers to fear, the hitters to walk and the fielders to hit where they ain't?

I have my favorites, of course, but so do you!! Let's hear about them!

Pray for warm weather!!
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Well, playin' on the JV team, I got to workout with many of the guys on Varsity- I gotta say Gonzaga's prospects look pretty good. I mean we just beat Riverdale Baptist 10-0 (very exciting)! We also have a couple Div I signings and an extremely experienced varsity team having only JRs and Srs on the team. As for DeMatha- I know a ton of guys over there and they also knabbed a few transfers- they just are always a contender. And McNamara- they have Ryan Harris, a sophomore who is really good (we used to play together).
Last edited by Gon2rE22
For the 2006 WCAC, many expect a DM vs StJ final, again... (really going out on a limb here).

WCAC Players to enjoy watching:

Campbell DM C/SS
Pearce DM P
Rivers DM Inf/Of
Scholtz DM P (RI x-fer)
Martinez StJ Inf (heard suspension is lifted)
Hoes StJ Inf/Of
Moreland StJ P/Of
Hoehn StJ P
Newman StJ P (if healthy)
two underclass StJ P's
Ulacky GC P/1b
Shultz GC P/1b
Bottengal GC Of
Moore PVI P
Polcari PVI P
Lamas PVI Inf/Of
Sprague Ire P
Haskins Ire Inf/Of
Cooper GnZ C
a few others McN, Car, OC, Ryk

Appears to be excellent arms in 2006, from
public schools, and Balt-Cath league.
RB may become, if not already, a rising B-Ball school!

regards
Bear
Last edited by Bear
Thanks, Bear. As always, appreciate your well-informed insights. All of the players you mention are great kids and, yes, all are joys to watch.

BUT, you have left out at least one player (and maybe more) who is certainly worthy of mention. I know of one WCAC kid NOT on your list who will receive a 2/3 ride at a $35K per year A-10 school (DI schools). No, it's not the SEC, PAC10 or top tier ACC, but it's nothing to sneeze at either. So, maybe during the course of the upcoming season, you'll edit your list according to what you see (and hear) about other WCAC kids.

Not sure either that I agree with your suggested WCAC final matchup --- maybe it'll turn out that way, but don't underestimate a WCAC team or two that will likely give SJCHS and DMCHS more than they want to see this year. Of course, you're basing you prediction on solid history, but history sometimes is a bad measure of the future! We'll see.

Anyway, thanks again for your input to the string. Doesn't anybody else have an opinion?

Cheers!
I think I remember hearing one WCAC player signing a Fall 05 NLI to a A-10 college.
I think it is Gonzaga's catcher (who is on my list and is liked a lot by Schourek (sp?). I think there is a Mt St Joe's P who also signed early within the A-10 Conference. Who is the other player and A-10 college you are referring to?

cheers
Bear
Last edited by Bear
"JV" Green,

The other player and A-10 college bound (falconhawk is referring to) may not be the Gonzaga HS Catcher. It may be the GC catcher.

Last check, Gonzaga's Head Baseball Coach is J. Schourek (who took over for fired J. Silk eons ago).

I don't know who your Homeroom Teacher is (nor care), yet I don't recall former 11 yr MLB LHP Pete Schourek attending college after HS and receiving his college degree! Thus, I can only guess the AP course is being supervised by his Dad.

I also heard Coach Lil Bradley is helping Gonzaga (yet it's unknown if he has completed his four year degree) I did hear his Dad continues to drag the ball & chain around since AD Yow crapped on his staff after slinging her b.s. And that's almost six years ago, far to long NOT to move on!).........
........but then, you may have not been born yet, to understand any of this!
Last edited by Bear
Falconhawk:
Are you referring to GC K. Jones?
Did he sign to play baseball with LaSalle?

And with four catchers at LaSalle next year
(Sr, Jr, So, & Fresh), one wonders where everyone fits? I also think there are two other "Marylanders" at LaSalle.
A Quince Orchard HS Minf (who I heard is playing well at Shortstop), and a LHP who transferred from the Univ of Maryland (from Phil area), since he was unable to 'adapt' to the Head Coach!

I do remember watching (and several times)
K Jones catching in the fall (wasn't George Papucnis hurt?) with C Shultz (finally growing into his body) on the mound. Matter of fact, I recall helping K. Jones figure out how to self-fix his jambed throwing hand thumb during at a fall ball game at Blair HS.

Cheers
Bear
Last edited by Bear
Yep --- that's him, Bear. Good memory! He's actually spending most time at RF for GC and will likely compete for an outfield spot at La Salle. Lot of good talent across the WCAC this year, with lots of college potential for many players. We'll be able to watch them for years to come!

How's Nick Pearce doing this year for Dematha? Well, I presume. On his way to College Park. He and KJ played together as 9 and 10 year olds -- up to age 12, as I recall (in the Burtonsville system). Pearce had a tremendous arm even then, before he was 6'5"!!

Great to see all the little guys stick with it and have a chance to play in college!
Last edited by falconhawk1
CONGRATULATIONS TO THE GOOD COUNSEL HIGH SCHOOL FALCONS --- 2006 WCAC BASEBALL CHAMPIONS!!

GC struggled during the regular season with injuries and errors. But, during the WCAC Playoffs, they lived up to their preseason expectations and beat three tough opponents in Gonzaga (11-9), St. John's (10-4) and Paul VI (14-12) to take the 2006 Title.

Congratulations to the whole team and especially to the seniors who made their last WCAC game one to remember:

Ryan Auld
Ryan Bottegal
Pat Carley
Phil Dunn
Chris Gardner
Kevin Jones
Carwan Karim
Jeff Money
George Papuchis
Sean Parrot
Chris Schultz
Mark Steiding
Steve Ulaky
Falcon

I was at Shipley! Were You? lol

OBTW: Can you identify the last three years (other than 2006), when the DC Catholic League............ (CL/WCAC/WMAC), did NOT have either SJ or DM in the baseball championship?

I was thinking 2001, maybe 2000, 1993, maybe 1990, or 1982-1989?

cheers
Bear

ps. P6 was very young!
Last edited by Bear

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.