Skip to main content

Yep.  One thing that I have noticed, on here and on sports news websites, is an insistence that college sports have to be normal, or nothing.  That is, there has to be a conference season, NCAA tournaments, etc., or else shut it down.  Then, the argument for shutdown is that the travel is either dangerous, or too expensive given economic problems this year.  Why can't schools, for this year, ditch the normal ways of doing sports?  Play all local teams, maybe multiple times?  Sports, especially baseball, can be done fairly cheaply if there's no travel, hotels, etc.  You still practice, you still have team bonding, you still play to win games.  Does the point have to be normal or nothing, or can't it be that playing the game is what is important?

@2019&21 Dad posted:

That's kind of the point - people don't care enough, about others. Until it hits them in the face.

See this went from a simple difference in opinions to you telling people they're wrong and don't care about others because they don't share the same beliefs as you.

I don't care enough meaning I have very little interest in clogging up a baseball forum with my thoughts on social interactions among college students and positive tests. Nobody comes here for that.

hy can't schools, for this year, ditch the normal ways of doing sports?  Play all local teams, maybe multiple times?  Sports, especially baseball, can be done fairly cheaply if there's no travel, hotels, etc.  You still practice, you still have team bonding, you still play to win games.  Does the point have to be normal or nothing, or can't it be that playing the game is what is important?

That is a plan submitted to NCAA by many conferences. Play geographically close conference programs multiple times.

Having football teams play this fall and spring  and other sports teams practice has been a successful endeavor in learning how to cope. But it really takes a village, so if programs weren't willing to put in the work this fall, spring may not happen.

@LousyLefty posted:

Not here to advocate for either side, as I cannot pretend to know the answer, but would like to share a personal story. Today is the two month anniversary of losing my father to Covid. He was 71 but otherwise healthy.  And while you can never know 100% who you contracted the virus from, we know he did not catch it at our family business (everyone was tested twice) or from our family (everyone tested negative for virus and antibodies), the only person we know for sure who had it was the captain for his (recreational) fishing boat. Who, you guessed it, caught it from his college student daughter.   And this is with a “protect the vulnerable” mentality. My father did not go to a public place. It was his own sport fishing boat. He wore a mask when around the captain (who nobody knew he was about to be sick because he hadn’t been around anyone “sick”) but they didn’t think about potential  aerosolized virus being in the cabin from when he was preoaring the boat (maskless as he was alone) leading up to my father’s arrival.   And while it is sad that my father passed. It is also distressing to hear of the trauma his passing has caused for the captain and his daughter. She knows she likely played a role in someone’s passing AND her father is about to be unemployed (the boat will be sold, it’s not worth the overhead since none of us enjoy deep sea fishing the way dad did).
I tell this story because this isn’t just about college kids. It’s about the people they come in contact with, and the people those people come in contact with.   But, at the same time, it is also about living a life worth living.  I am am so grateful that less than a week before his initial hospitalization my father was able to do the very thing that brought him the most joy in his semi-retirement. (I don’t think he would choose to live another decade if he had to be holed up in a bunker)  I have the same hope that college athletes will be able to partake in the activity that likely brings them that same kind of joy.  

Just some food for thought.  

@LousyLefty

you just served filet mignon.

Numbers and stats are irrelevant when it impacts one's family.

My cousin passed away 2 months ago.  His wife, and 2 sisters contracted covid, (wife and sister) are nurses, contracted in hospital.

@LousyLefty posted:

Not here to advocate for either side, as I cannot pretend to know the answer, but would like to share a personal story. Today is the two month anniversary of losing my father to Covid.

I am so sorry for your loss.  Really truly sorry.

I am also sorry that this topic has gone a ways south. Let's not try to make it personal if you are not in agreement with someones opinion.

As posted, right now among students in HS and college, athletes are practicing, playing and going to school.  Some programs,  have had many athletes test positive. Schools have gotten through it, there are rules to follow, if they want to play. For NCAA student athletes, the only option is, I am assuming, online. This eliminates exposure both for athletes as well as regular students. Plus, there are protocols to protect teachers and professors as well as parents at home. 

If a program has decided not to allow athletes to participate, it's a signal to me that they just didn't want to try to make it work, or they cannot afford the financial responsibilities.

Ironically, in some programs almost entire teams have had covid.  Very few had any symptoms or seriously ill. That's because in most programs they are tested once weekly, in some P5 programs 3 times a week.  That is the only way that you can keep cases controlled. The only way.   

MAM has made a great point, if FB and baseball can do it, I am sure they have shared their experiences. Of course the prize goes to the NBA. Not ONE COVID test, but our kids can't live in a bubble!

At FAU if a player tests positive, the player and roommates must quarantine. A few days later, they are tested again. If all are negative, I do believe, the medical team makes adjustments to quarantine. No one is sent home if they have a positive test, no one is allowed to go home, even those living close by. I am assuming that this is common practice among those programs practicing this fall.

It's not as scary as it seamed a few months ago. I want parents to understand that. Yes, I agree that there can be complications later on, that is why in many cases, once a player has recovered after 2 negative tests, the player needs a full examination from a medical team which may include a heart screening. Unfortunetly, this is probably why some programs cannot at this time hold practice or games. They can't afford it.

They are telling us that once the weather gets cold, there will be a problem.  Possibly so, but I think that it depends on people's decisions and some people don't make good decisions. 

@2019&21 Dad posted:

This is true in West Chester, where I live and where students are living in off campus houses all around town. Last week the borough had to enforce mask wearing in public because cases nearly doubled in the last 30 days compared to the last 6 months. College kids (and others) are partying in houses and going around town without masks like normal. Chester County Health Department stats show that 68% of the new cases were in people ages 18-22. So maybe if the college kids want to return to in person school and have sports they should act more responsibly. It's a tough lesson to learn, but they did it to themselves.

The same applies to the country as a whole. If we embraced some simple behaviors like wearing a mask when you can't be apart from people, and actually had an effective testing and tracing program that we participate in with personal accountability, we'd have been able to return to something like normalcy already. Businesses would be doing much better already. Canada did it. But we'd rather just ignore it and pretend everything's fine and people are hysterical. Now with cold weather and flu season coming, do you think cases will be going up or down soon? They're already trending up in northern states where it's gotten colder. This isn't rocket science or politics - it's common sense around how viruses work. So tired of all the BS.

I'm sure I'm not changing anyone's mind with this post and I won't be responding since it's a futile argument and waste of my time. But the light of truth has to be shined on all this madness.

That's on the city and county and schools.

FAU in a county with over 48k cases, has had 200 total current and cumulative students cases as well as 16 current and cumulative faculty cases. It can be achieved.

I do want to add that in many instances regular students were given options of  online vs in class, cutting down on campus traffic.

Would be nice if parents can share there son's experience since they returned.

JMO

Last edited by TPM

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.