Skip to main content

Inspired by the topic of when was your son's first real recruit contact I thought I would put a different twist on that.  Kids are recruited at all ages now a days.  If you could please just drop a note of what age or school year your son (pitcher) began to be recruited and what his velocity was at that time.  Really interested to see if there is a pattern such as throwing 80 as a freshman and maybe 84 as a soph etc.  Just wondering if there are certain benchmarks they are looking for at the various ages.  Thanks in advance for your help!
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I'll jump in.  Lefthook was not really shown any interest until after the summer of his JR yr.  He was only sitting 82/83 and we weren't really hitting the recruiting trail hard.  BUt, during his JR he had a great outing against a local rival with a top 10 round pick and several college commits on their squad.  LH kept them all in check, thanks to the good 'ole CB and smart pitching, noticed by a couple of MLB scouts there to see the other teams guys, and it eventually led to a drastic move of summer teams.  Then the summer went well, still not outstanding in the velocity category, but great off-speed and the ability to basically squash the running game with a man on first.  Great SR yr and an outstanding performance against the same local rival, with scouts there to see the others teams top 10 rd pitcher,  LHG throws a shut-out.   

While his velocity never got him recruited, his off speed, knowledge of the game, and pitching defense with a great pick-off move eventually got him where he is today.  Oh, and the fact that he fits the definition of a "Crafty Lefty" to a tee doesn't hurt!  So, I think the pattern he fit is, if they are a LHP with good off speed, your velocity does not need to meet that magic 88+ number

Key words in title of this thread are, "when first recruited?" I'm assuming an invite to visit campus is "being recruited?" 

2017 RHP is a long way from being offered but received several invites for visits summer before sophomore year.  All mid-majors in A-10, Colonial, Big 10, and ACC.  The part I found hard to believe is he was sitting 78-80, touching 82.  His top on PG profile to this day is only 79.

I'm guessing it's his size they are most interested in as they believe he "projects."

So bottom line is, not only do you not know who is watching, but also have no idea what they are thinking? 

Last edited by #1 Assistant Coach

RHP/RHH - two way

These are all peak velos. 

6'3" 170 twig as Fr

6'4" 185ish as Sr

Fr -  76

So - 80

Jr  - 84

Sr  - 84-86 most of the year.

Late fall of his Sr season 87-89 at Ar Fall Classic. Sitting 87 touching 89.

He had a lot of "interest" up until Fall Classic and that is when it broke open. This was 4 years ago. He had a lot of programs following him in the summer of his Jr year, got on the radar at the Ar Jr Classic and then a number of PG events. Serious interest during fall 'Scout ball" in So Cal. Stanford and a number of other highly competitive big D1's dropped off when his velo plateaued around 86. When he popped up to 87-89 in the fall a lot of Big West programs came out of the woodwork. PAC-10 type schools were really looking for higher velo. 

Sr now in college 6'4" 215. Sits 91-92 and I don't know peak. 

Last edited by BOF
Originally Posted by #1 Assistant Coach:

Key words in title of this thread are, "when first recruited?" I'm assuming an invite to visit campus is "being recruited?" 

2017 RHP is a long way from being offered but received several invites for visits summer before sophomore year.  All mid-majors in A-10, Colonial, and ACC.  The part I found hard to believe is he was sitting 78-80, touching 82.  His top on PG profile to this day is only 79.

I'm guessing it's his size they are most interested in as they believe he "projects."

So bottom line is, not only do you not know who is watching, but also have no idea what they are thinking? 

but that was also after only his freshman year right?  So I am sure they are projecting out some progress over his high school years.  And 78-80 freshman year is by no means slow.  When you reference size how big is he?  I am curious because I have a big kid too.
Originally Posted by BOF:

RHP/RHH - two way

These are all peak velos. 

6'3" 170 twig as Fr

6'4" 185ish as Sr

Fr -  76

So - 80

Jr  - 84

Sr  - 84-86 most of the year.

Late fall of his Sr season 87-89 at Ar Fall Classic. Sitting 87 touching 89.

He had a lot of "interest" up until Fall Classic and that is when it broke open. This was 4 years ago.

Sr now in college 6'4" 215. Sits 91-92 and I don't know peak. 

thanks so much for breaking it down like that.  Really hel ps.

Well here goes, you guys with one son have it too easy.... these are

2013 RHP  6'3 first recruited his jr yr   82-83  sr yr 85-87  currently soph college  87-89

2014 RHP  6'5 first recruited his so yr  83-84  jr yr  85-86 currently fresh college  89-92

2016 RHP  6'3 first recruited his jr yr   84-86 

2018 RHP  6'2 first recruited this fall    85-87  

One thing I would add velo gets the interest, velo plus off speed gets you signed.

Last edited by bacdorslider

jolieboy,

I added a little bit more commentary above to fill in the story a bit.

In the "you never know" category, in college he pitched some as a Fr and played OF also. (Highly ranked D3) Decided to hit only as a Soph, and same as a Jr, broke is finger (LH) at the beginning of his Jr season and figured he would miss most of it so went back to pitching  - suddenly he was sitting 91-92. He had no idea and is now a PO. Go figure. 

June, 2012-touched 84 no contact (between Fr & Soph year) guessing 5'11"

June, 2013-touched 90 no contact (between Soph & Jr year) guessing 6'1"

April, 2014-touched 94 some overtures but nothing much until he pitched at PG Nationals in June, 2014,

2015 RHP 6'3", 210, (will be 18 in May of 2015)

One of his major changes was choosing to play, Summer of 2014, out of the local area that he's always played in. We live in a smaller town.

Don't give up hope and continue to work on getting better and getting seen!

Last edited by RedFishFool

2016 LHP. All was very quiet on him even though he pitched varsity as a Freshman and had some success. Did not play for a high level travel team at the time so never really got seen. Attended a major D1 camp at the recommendation of his travel coach at the end of Freshman year. Hit 87. Immediate interest from D1. But other than that school, it was again a quiet summer. In October of Soph year, he attended another major D1 camp. I'll never forget it. The HC and assistants all at a table behind the screen eating lunch. The HC heard the pop of son's first warmup and dropped his sandwich for a gun. He hit 88 that day. It was on after that.

6'1" 200 as Fr

6'3" 220 as So

Fr- 87

So- 90

Jr- ?

Still hasn't made a decision on school yet, hoping to do that this spring.

Its encouraging to see so many kids -even the big kids who you might expect to peak early - gaining velocity even into their college years. I love how much everybody on this site is so willing to share and inform.  My son is a 6'1" 180lb. 13 yr old.  He will be playing 13u this coming season.  Kind of time to start thinking about goals so all this info really helps.
Originally Posted by ne_lefty:

2016 LHP. All was very quiet on him even though he pitched varsity as a Freshman and had some success. Did not play for a high level travel team at the time so never really got seen. Attended a major D1 camp at the recommendation of his travel coach at the end of Freshman year. Hit 87. Immediate interest from D1. But other than that school, it was again a quiet summer. In October of Soph year, he attended another major D1 camp. I'll never forget it. The HC and assistants all at a table behind the screen eating lunch. The HC heard the pop of son's first warmup and dropped his sandwich for a gun. He hit 88 that day. It was on after that.

6'1" 200 as Fr

6'3" 220 as So

Fr- 87

So- 90

Jr- ?

you may have to make a decision on a contract rather than a school!
Originally Posted by jolietboy:
Originally Posted by ne_lefty:

6'1" 200 as Fr

6'3" 220 as So

Fr- 87

So- 90

Jr- ?

you may have to make a decision on a contract rather than a school!

It's a nice decision to make if it gets to that! The plan is to go to school. A long way to go still.

December between sophomore and junior year....went to an indoor showcase.  He wasn't even going to throw...but it was between the infield and outfield sessions....so he did.  He hit 82 (was 5'8, 140 at the time).  Got an email the day before Christmas from a D1 who said they liked what they saw...and asked him to call.  The nice thing was there were kids who had been mid-upper 80's the summer before who were 81-82 at the showcase...so I think they thought he may have more.  Went to another in February...hit 84...and the director of the showcase said a very good (dream school) pitching coach asked about him.  He hit 86 the first weekend of the summer....and started picking up more interest.  Up to 87 the day before he got his first offer with the RC watching. He's hoping to be up to 90 this spring....I guess we'll see.

Originally Posted by Buckeye 2015:

December between sophomore and junior year....went to an indoor showcase.  He wasn't even going to throw...but it was between the infield and outfield sessions....so he did.  He hit 82 (was 5'8, 140 at the time).  Got an email the day before Christmas from a D1 who said they liked what they saw...and asked him to call.  The nice thing was there were kids who had been mid-upper 80's the summer before who were 81-82 at the showcase...so I think they thought he may have more.  Went to another in February...hit 84...and the director of the showcase said a very good (dream school) pitching coach asked about him.  He hit 86 the first weekend of the summer....and started picking up more interest.  Up to 87 (with 3 K's in 1 IP) the day before he got his first offer with the RC watching. He's hoping to be up to 90 this spring....I guess we'll see.

Jolietboy Kid from Coal City 82-84 8th grade spring/summer, spring/summer freshman yr.85-87, first contact at end of that summer, spring/summer soph. yr. 90-92.I/we have never been the type of lets see how fast.velo really doesn't matter in the end if you can't pitch.Numbers are all third party and numbers they posted have no idea on sit or peak.2016 is a football 6ft. 2 in. @180lbs...........

2016, currently 6'4", 200lbs +/-, not 17 til 2015.
8th grade, upper 70's
FR 78-80
SO 80-82, HIT 84 this past summer
Serious contact with 4 D1 schools started in Sept and 1 MLB guy

What they like:
Big/projectible
Movement
Throws strikes
Any pitch, any count, hits his spots
Low game pitch counts 57-80 CG (7IP)
Swing and miss stuff
Gives up very few BH

IMHO the MLB guy is the least worried about velo, college coaches seem to need/desire already there velo players. The college coaches are all hoping for a good summer with increase in velo, no doubt mid 80's is not going to get it.

son is  a freshman in college.

5'10" 180 now

Freshman Hs 5"7 80 MPH documented- nothing from anyone

Soph 5'8 -82 MPH - nothing

Junior 83-88 - got big jump and first real recruitment when he hit 88 a couple times at a fall prospect game- almost all D2 and D3, a few mid D1, but minimal contact

Summer between Junior and Senior year - big showcase in ohio- in June 85-88, got lots o D2 interest and a 2 specific D1. Fall senior year offered walk on spots at both D1 and accepted one of them

Spring senior year much like Lefthook son, was pitching against big rivel HS with a senior OF being watch by MLB. Documented that day sat 91 whole game high as 95 in 6th inning, struck out the 2 top hitters on that team (both ended up at very good D1) 3 times each.

Recruiting exploded that night- MLB scouts calling coach, son and myself. when colleges found out he did not have NLI, 2 offered big money immediately (we did not ask for this and took our family as a suprise), When the college that he had committed to heard that they came up with scholarship money. He thought about it for 2 weeks inbetween he pitched one more HS game and had 30 scouts/ recruiter with guns on him. Sat 88-90 that day, hit 92. MLB said he wasn't ready, several more offers within a day fo that, original college upped the ante, doubling first offer.

In the end it came down to the 2 D1 colleges that had followed him all previous summer long and he ended up with the exact college he had originally committed too. What it came down to was the same as the previous fall when he had originally committed as a walk on spot, it really came down to teh fit of the college and the baseball coaches and that had shown the most interest in him all other things being equal.

I think he was not "projectable" since he is 5"10. He is solid, not huge, not skinny either to "fill out". So for him he need to actually perform in HS to get the choices he had.

As FYI, he is thrilled with his choice. Loves college and his teammates, he is going to get significant PT as of right now.

Here you go JB:

Peak velos:

5'8" 150  Frosh

5'11" 170 Sr

Fr -  82

So - 88

Jr  - 95 / Sat 92-93 Jupiter

Sr  - Who knows?.....his goal is 96 or 97 and sitting 92-95.

He sat 92-93 in Jupiter and was from the stretch in all but 2 pitches i think. The Trackman service in Jupiter this past October had him with the highest spin rate on the highest velo fastball in the entire tournament...2458 rpm @ 92mph.4 Seamer.

FWIW, 96.3 lead the tourney in Velo.

Why not throw in the Curve velo? Of the highest spin rate curveballs, his was 81mph @ 2689 rpms. It was the highest velo on a curveball in that group and also a top 10 spin rate.

Last edited by Shoveit4Ks
Originally Posted by chefmike7777:

5'10" 180 now

Junior 83-88 - got big jump and first real recruitment when he hit 88 a couple times at a fall prospect game- almost all D2 and D3, a few mid D1, but minimal contact

Summer between Junior and Senior year - big showcase in ohio- in June 85-88, got lots o D2 interest and a 2 specific D1. Fall senior year offered walk on spots at both D1 and accepted one of them

Spring senior year much like Lefthook son, was pitching against big rivel HS with a senior OF being watch by MLB. Documented that day sat 91 whole game high as 95 in 6th inning, struck out the 2 top hitters on that team (both ended up at very good D1) 3 times each.

Recruiting exploded that night- MLB scouts calling coach, son and myself. when colleges found out he did not have NLI, 2 offered big money immediately (we did not ask for this and took our family as a suprise), When the college that he had committed to heard that they came up with scholarship money. He thought about it for 2 weeks inbetween he pitched one more HS game and had 30 scouts/ recruiter with guns on him. Sat 88-90 that day, hit 92. MLB said he wasn't ready, several more offers within a day fo that, original college upped the ante, doubling first offer.

In the end it came down to the 2 D1 colleges that had followed him all previous summer long and he ended up with the exact college he had originally committed too. What it came down to was the same as the previous fall when he had originally committed as a walk on spot, it really came down to teh fit of the college and the baseball coaches and that had shown the most interest in him all other things being equal.

I think he was not "projectable" since he is 5"10. He is solid, not huge, not skinny either to "fill out". So for him he need to actually perform in HS to get the choices he had.

As FYI, he is thrilled with his choice. Loves college and his teammates, he is going to get significant PT as of right now.

Chefmike7777,

I pay close attention to your posts for good reason. Add 10 lbs and my son’s bio is nearly identical to yours through the fall of this, his junior year.  He’s currently sitting 84-86 after his first two bullpens and headed to a Showball showcase in a few weeks, where I don’t expect him to generate much interest.  More than anything, I want him to absorb this experience in preparation for future events when the timing may be more beneficial.

Originally Posted by Marklaker:
Originally Posted by chefmike7777:

5'10" 180 now

Chefmike7777,

I pay close attention to your posts for good reason. Add 10 lbs and my son’s bio is nearly identical to yours through the fall of this, his junior year.  He’s currently sitting 84-86 after his first two bullpens and headed to a Showball showcase in a few weeks, where I don’t expect him to generate much interest.  More than anything, I want him to absorb this experience in preparation for future events when the timing may be more beneficial.

Marklaker, I think the biggest reason he jumped his senior year is he simply decided to dedicate the time and effort. He had always played a lot of baseball between starting up in Feburary and playing thru July but not much in off season. He went to basketball from August until February. He occasionally hit or threw in off season but nothing specific. his senior year he pitched unitl he had committed as a walk on into september. Then in November thru start of HS he dedicated every sunday and 2 more evenings in week after basketball to baseball. Throwing, condidtioning his arm etc. He was always a kid who got stronger and threw harder as the year went on and I think, looking back now, that was simp,ly because he slowly got in baseball (pitching) condition.

Sounds like your son is in great pitching shape to be able to bullpen 84-86 in fall/ winter of junior year. Good luck and i wil be following you now

Like Chefmike777 son,
my son is 6 feet with his cleats on, so nothing recruiting wise until he hit 88 at a PG event prior to his Junior year. He spoke with quite a few schools after but nothing solid. Prior to his Senior year he hit 90 at another PG event and the offers started coming. According to the coaches that recruiting him, while the velocity got him recruited, his change-up got him the offers. The school he committed to increased their offer by 20% when the HC scouted him in person.  

He is a freshman this year and hopefully is looking at some pretty solid PT. Claims to be up to 93 (I'll believe it when I see it)

BucsFanSon attended camps and a PG showcase after frosh year in HS but got his first "please call Coach SMITH from XYZ D1, he liked what he saw today" message from his travel coach in June between 10th and 11th grade.  He was 6'3, 200lbs and only sat 82-84 but with projectability and he threw strikes and threw his 12/6 CB with command.  First offer came right after Ft. Myers the following Oct. when he jumped to 84-88 and again had his curve ball (and, to a lesser extent, change up) working.

Btw...great question/topic by the OP.  I think this one will get a nice following over the years.  I wish it existed much earlier.

Last edited by BucsFan
Originally Posted by RedFishFool:

In a take-off of "does a falling tree make a noise in the woods ...."

It doesn't matter as much how hard you throw if no one is around to watch you do it!

You make an excellent point.  And reading your son's history really augments the belief that getting exposure I s a really big deal in baseball.  They just don't have the same budgets as football or basketball and you have to find ways to get in front of them.  The fact that a kid can throw 90 during or right after his sophomore year and not yet be recruited is proof positive of that in my opinion.

2018 RHP 6' 3" (OK. OK. 6' 2 1/4")/ 185 lbs. Turns 15 in April. We haven't worked much on getting him to showcases yet, but he attracted the attention of a lower-level D1 this fall in a 16u tourney when he pitched against a team whose coach was the PC for the D1 school. We had just ended n 8 week weighted ball program and I had him sitting 81-83, but topped out at 86 (I never caught him at that). This coach claimed to have gotten him at 86. Then we took him to an SEC school's HS prospect camp for the experience. He was sitting 82-83, but hit the gun at 88 once (a good 4mph higher than I had ever clocked him). We've spoken to this school, but the HC recently vented about certain other schools in the SEC verbaling 2017's after their freshman year, so I don't think he'll be offering a 2018.

Originally Posted by RedFishFool:

In a take-off of "does a falling tree make a noise in the woods ...."

It doesn't matter as much how hard you throw if no one is around to watch you do it!

You make an excellent point.  And reading your son's history really augments the belief that getting exposure I s a really big deal in baseball.  They just don't have the same budgets as football or basketball and you have to find ways to get in front of them.  The fact that a kid can throw 90 during or right after his sophomore year and not yet be recruited is proof positive of that in my opinion.

He had been 16 less than a month when he hit 90 (per JUGS) in June, 2013. Due to the fact that he didn't get any notice (and I mean none) in Summer of 2013 and because of all the forum reading that I did on this website, a decision was made to play out of town in the Summer of 2014. Particularly, we wanted to go to the big PG Tournament in Atlanta. The right people saw him in the right places this Summer.

My 16y/o 2016
6'4" 200LBS

HS
FR 78-81
SO 82-84
Nasty CB
Very good CU
Very positive feedback.
Command, control, movement.
Can also poject as a hitter.
Did the big PG tournies this summer, several college sponsored tournaments w/ TB TEAM, and a few prospect camps where he is most interested in the school.
Starging this summer......Multiple specific D1 college contact/interest from big, to very small D1. Face to face with 3, phone contact and email with others as well as conversations with multiple lower level MLB scouts after colleve SC camps.
"Looking forward to watching/following you this year." "You are on our 2016 board.""wbere do you play HS ball.""send me your schedule when it comes out."
I expect much more interest IF/as velo climbs

"What was your son's velocity when he first got recruited?"

He was sitting mid-80's between soph and junior year as some local D1 teams were following him all summer.  More serious interest came at PG WWBA in East Cobb in 2008 where he threw a complete game (W) in the semi-finals.   Those same local D1s got extra interested after that point.  

I appreciate all the feedback and love gathering data so keep 'em coming.  But I think I already see a pattern here.  Outside of a couple outliers in both directions generally it seems like the most common benchmark is mid 80's after sophomore season.  Kind of fits the mold I somewhat expected but really nice to have it confirmed.  So probably 70+ this year as a 13u then 5mph a year til that makes mid 80's after sophomore season.  Needs to continue to work hard but all seems very doable.

Son is currently a senior RHP at D3 school in a strong conference, team typically plays a tough overall schedule.

Played for a pretty well respected and well scouted club team throughout high school, and got lots of innings because he got outs and ate innings.

Tall skinny kid, 6' 1" as Frosh - 6' 3" as Senior - never more than 170 lbs in high school. Always commanded two good secondary pitches.

Frosh: 76 - 78 no recruiting interest

Soph: 78 - 80 no recruiting interest - son decides to focus on playing at high academic D3

Junior: 80 - 83 - One Ivy head coach sees him by coincidence at tournament, becomes quite interested due to in-game performance.  Spends next two months contacting son, acquiring transcripts, test scores, passes info through admissions, tells son he's got thumbs-up on admissions pre-read and tells him he's on his list, exactly where he stands on his list (seemed like a 60/40 chance) and that he really likes him.  This is the first and only D1 interest son garnered.

Attends Headfirst summer before senior season. Pitches at 80 - 83, multiple D3 coaches approach him.

Applies Early Decision to his #1 school, accepted. 

Senior HS season, pitched at 82-84, barely misses Conference Pitcher of Year award in a strong league, was approached by two highly respected JC coaches who saw him while scouting someone else, son declined, sold on D3 school.

As it turns out, son has had a nice college career through three years, now sits 83 - 85, humps-up to 87 on a pitch or two, has thrown over 150 innings so far, about 120 K's, some ups-and-downs, but a lot of really nice outings against some very quality opponents, while also developing lots of interests outside of baseball.

This has been a nice thread to read, thanks to the OP for posting.

Inspired by the topic of when was your son's first real recruit contact I thought I would put a different twist on that.  Kids are recruited at all ages now a days.  If you could please just drop a note of what age or school year your son (pitcher) began to be recruited and what his velocity was at that time.  Really interested to see if there is a pattern such as throwing 80 as a freshman and maybe 84 as a soph etc.  Just wondering if there are certain benchmarks they are looking for at the various ages.  Thanks in advance for your help!

Son was a two way player (SS/RHP) and didn't pitch a lot as the team(s) had a lot of good pitching.

Frosh: 81-83

Soph:  82-84

Jr.: 86-90 (Active recruiting started)

Sr. 89-93

Lots of interest and several offers at end of Jr. year for both position and pitching.  Drafted as pitcher out of HS but chose offer from dream college to play SS position.  

Last edited by Truman
Freshman year, 1st yr. on varsity. 5'10 165# 14 yr old. Only the second freshman to make varsity in coach's 19 yrs. at the school.
86-88 touching 90

Sophomore year, 5'11 170#. First year colleges started contacting through channels.
90-92 touching 94

Junior year, 6'0" 180#. Recruiting exploded after an early fall event.
92-95 touching 96

Most impressive stat from one scout was he was still throwing 93-94 in the seventh inning of a March game.

Senior year..... we'll see.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.