Skip to main content

From what I remember there was only one organization back in the 90's that declared a particular team as number one in the nation, thereby making them the National Champion. Granted it was just a formula without any direct competition between the top teams.

However there are at least three respected organizations that now rate teams as number one nationally, along with their top 25, 50, or 100 teams.

So which one would you vote for of the three from last year?

Listed in alphabetical order;

Archbishop Mitty (Ca) 31-3 by Perfect Game

Flanagan (Fl) 25-2 by Baseball America

Sumrall (Ms) 36-1 by Max Preps

Also if you care to, list the reason why you chose that particular team. Is it due to which organization picked them, familiarity with the school, toughness of the schedule, etc.?
Of course if you think it was a different team than the three listed, go ahead and list them and give your reasons.

--- It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat. Theodore Roosevelt - April 23, 1910

Last edited {1}
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

To add to this confusion, don't forget that USA Today and Collegiate Baseball both rank teams all year, cover those teams and then have a final poll proclaiming the #1. I was an assistant coach on the #1 team in America according to Collegiate Baseball in 1998. That team, Edwardsville, IL went 40-0 and then those same players all played on the American Legion Team which won the National Title. A few of those players on that team played professionally with 2 making it to MLB.
Last edited by CoachB25
quote:
Originally posted by Out in LF:
I'm gonna say 5A Florida state champions, Pace,Fl. they ended up Baseball America's #2. But in all reality unless they have a Omaha with each state's #1 to decide a true #1 we can only wish or boast who we think is the most deserving.

Good idea if there was the time and money to do it.
But how do you decide who is each states #1?
I think a case could be made for any of the three. For instance I knew nothing about Sumrall, but then found out they had a 67 game winning streak over the last two years (35-1 in 2010 & 36-0 in 2009). That combined with three state titles in a row make a compelling argument.

Of course either of the teams from Fl or Ca can also lay claim considering how difficult their respective conferences are. Winning a state title in either is an accomplishment.
I'll throw out a vote for Flanagan - very strong ties to our league. (actually you can just about see Flanagan from our park)

I'll also throw out a nomination for the toughest baseball neighborhood. The Florida 4A champion Archbishop McCarthy is about 2 miles north up the street from Flanagan. The 6A runner up to Flanagan, American is about 10 minutes to the south.
Never in my life has a vote been so easy!

And I am especially thankful that anyone would publicly count me as a "friend" (unless they were thinking of someone else). Roll Eyes

...Archbishop Mitty HS! Big Grin

Now watch the vote swing the other way. Eek

(In all seriousness, its impossible to pick this for real...but I have never seen a better HS team than that team last year...but then again, I didn't see the other 50 or so that maybe deserve a vote. Cool )
Last edited by justbaseball

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.