Young 12 year old prospect

He looks to be off the board for an extended period of time, but this might explain why:

Take Action

My son is a 2016.  However, he is 15yrs old and is young for a Sophomore and does not turn 16 until next summer.  He just received a Nationa Underclass Showcase invite I guess based upon his results from the showcase in August.  He just got a "7" and I don't think he needs to go to another showcase until after his Junior year or possibly next year.  What are your thoughts on this, I'm very new to this.  He is a 77-79 pitcher with great movement and results for his showcase team.  Thanks

Now you got me curious Russ. Just did some quick internet sleuthing (looked up the showcase in Texas in Aug of 2013 for a LHP who was class of 2016 and didn't turn 16 until the following summer and who was 77-79 and got a 7.0) My best guess is that he is currently a D1 pitcher on the staff at Stephen F. Austin university.

There was an adage that you should write down all the names of the starters on your sons 12 year old all star team. Store the letter.

Open the letter and check it against the starters of his HS baseball team his senior year.

In my sons case........only 3 were starters on both lists.   

piaa_ump posted:

There was an adage that you should write down all the names of the starters on your sons 12 year old all star team. Store the letter.

Open the letter and check it against the starters of his HS baseball team his senior year.

We have gamechanger now...pencils and paper are soooo 1990’s....

anecdotally, HS varsity teams are kind of a melting pot of talent over a  3-4 year period...stands to reason only 3-4 would make the roster per year.

piaa_ump posted:

None of the kids on my son's 12 year old team (travel, not all-stars, though) were starters their senior year in HS, including him (he didn't play HS ball his senior year). Also true of his 13 & 14 year old teams (basically same group of kids those two years). AFAIK, he's the only one from those years playing college ball, and he's one of three from his graduating class in HS (like 800 kids, FWIW) who went on to play college ball (though one of those sat out an academic year at some point, so is now a class behind him).

My son's travel team when he was 12 came from a 30 mile area with less than 50,000 people.  They have1 second round draft pick, 2 SEC, 1 ACC, 3 Mid Major D1's, 3 NAIA players, 1 turned down  and all except 3 started varsity as freshmen.  2 were player of the years for their states and 10 of them made all-region senior year.  All 13 started their varsity teams last year.  When they started at 8, their goal was to get the best, add the best, and every kid to start varsity as a freshman and all to have a chance to play college. 

I can tell you that holding a kid back a year is a common occurrence in Southern California. A coach suggested we consider holding our son back in the 7th or 8th grade. He is an end of May birthday. We chose not to. He is at a public school, and appears to be doing well academically and socially.

However, be aware that at some Catholic and private schools, if you are not a hold back, you will likely be one of the youngest and smallest at freshman tryouts. We know of good players at a particular school who did not make the team, basically because they were a year younger than most of the other boys.

i think it’s worked for our son during summer travel ball, much better competition against the older players. It’s ultimately up to each family, just telling you how things are in this area.

Add Reply

Likes (0)