Skip to main content

The following post is filled with the pride and joy of another webster dad who is seeing his son's dream come true Smile.

After the pins-and-needles wait for an EA decision, I can finally announce my son’s college situation. Barring a financial aid debacle (ya just never know until ya know), Young Krak ('08 RHP) will attend Trinity University and follow in the baseball footsteps of Webster sons Jason Armstrong, Drew Bignall, and Evan Jones (whose parents have been immensely helpful along the way!).

As you might imagine, trying to build any interest in a player that has lived in South Korea for the past 12 years was not an easy task. It was just me and him, in the middle of an Asian metro area of 20 million strangers, throwing wherever we could whenever we could.......in parking garages, in alleys, against cement walls, in the old cleaning lady’s cabbage garden, and sometimes even on real baseball fields!

Fortune smiled on us, however, as Coach Scannell was made aware of him at the last Stanford Camp and was then able to key on him at the HeadFirst camp a day later. He pitched exceptionally well, and even had Rob Kremer’s son to catch for him! We were able to go down and visit the campus (gorgeous place) and spent several hours talking over things with Coach Scannell and Coach Smith, the pitching coach. They gave support to his application throughout the process and are very excited to have him. They have a lot of belief in him and big plans for continuing development.

Mrs. Krak and I couldn’t be happier, even though we will be devastated for awhile when we drop him off and then get on with the 20-hour trip back to Seoul.........definitely bittersweet stuff! (Maybe I should get a job driving one of those tourist boats up and down the Riverwalk...hmmm....) Thanks SO MUCH to those of you whom have offered to help look after him!!

Trinity is a great academic school (ranked #1 master’s university in the West sixteen years’ running), has beautiful dorms, is in an interesting and intriguing city, warm/hot climate, super-friendly kids, smallish student body, major baseball facility upgrades in the works.....it ‘fits’ all the criteria Tristan wrote out a couple of years ago. AND, some of the nicest people on the HSBBW have/had players at Trinity!

This site has been an immense help. Without everything I’ve learned on the HSBBW, and the earnest support and encouragement of numerous websters, there’s NO way we would have ever figured out what we needed to do to make this dream come true. Thanks to all who have freely offered tips, advice, and online smiles over the past several years!

And to all who have asked 'how do I get noticed?', if we can do it from the other side of the world, YOU can do it, too!!
"I would be lost without baseball. I don't think I could stand being away from it as long as I was alive." Roberto Clemente #21
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Yes sireeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee, this calls for a lil' dancin' on top of the table tops and livingroom couch, if I do say so myself!!!!!
I am sooooo STINKIN' HAPPY for the Krakatoa Family!!!!!

( Can you hear the air horns, bells, and whistles going off over here???? I sure hope soooo!!!!! )
Confetti and balloons for all!!!!!

Soooo happy soo happy soo happy!!!
A huge and heartfelt CONGRATULATIONS coming your way !!!!!

quote:
filled with the pride and joy of another webster dad who is seeing his son's dream come true .

Last edited by shortstopmom
ILVBB, my wife already has her eye on the San Antonio Marathon in November as an 'excuse' to visit. I'd try to make the trip during my spring break in April so I could catch some games. I'm sure we'll meet up at some point!

Thanks for the well-wishes everyone -- it is a happy time for our family, and especially for the kid himself. He never lost faith.
Last edited by Krakatoa
quote:
Krak posted: And to all who have asked 'how do I get noticed?', if we can do it from the other side of the world, YOU can do it, too!!

Well, that is just awesome! You guys are commended for the focus and work you put in to make it happen. It was an effort that will benefit him for a lifetime. Great job Krak!! It helped a bit that the kid is an excellent student and can play too. Wink
Last edited by Dad04
Krak,
Congratulations, that is just the best news!
While it is truly Tristan's talents in the classroom and on the mound that made the final difference, the efforts, and sacrifices, of Mr & Mrs Krakatoa cannot go without recognition and accolades.
Seems like yesterday when you first posted about Tristan and coming to the States for a few weeks in the summer, most all of which would be devoted to him getting baseball exposure.
While the HSBBW and it's members have provided terrific input along the way, Mr&Mrs. Krak dedicated the time and made the financial sacrifices to provide Tristan the opportunity for his talents to be discovered and proven.
From where I sit, you are terrific, loving and caring parents.
It is wonderful that you would share with us the love you have as parents of what sounds like a terrific young man.
Congratulations to both of you for making this day, and many more in the future, possible for Tristan.
Congrats to you and your Tristan
from me and my Tristan!!
Both pitchers...
Both guitar players...
and now they'll share the great Texas experience

We're not really close enough to help look out for him (Texas is a big place) but maybe they'll play some games in the Dallas area.
San Antonio is a good town. Glad you found your way to the Lone Star State
Awesome news Krak. I know you are all proud of him and so are we. This is a family and one of our own just achieved a dream. It does not get any better than this folks. This is what this site is all about. Share it with the people that understand how important it is and how proud you are!!!!!

We all have another kid to follow and cheer for. And you Texans now have a another son to take care of and make sure he never wants for anything. Ive got FF's son and JD's sons back here in the Tar Heel state.
CONGRATS!!!! Tristan and Mr & Mrs Krak,

We couldn't be happier for you--it's quite an accomplishment to be accepted to such an outstanding university AND get to play baseball with a top notch group of coaches on a very competitive team. To have accomplished it from the other side of the world is almost mind boggling! Well done

Your journey to find the right school is a perfect example of just how valuable this website can be and will make MN-Mom very proud too!

Although this is our final season at TU, we'll be watching Tristan next year via webcast and/or in person (it's gonna be hard to give up the baseball trips to SA especially when it's still snowing here). He's going to have a GREAT ride.
Krak:
I can't tell you how happy I am for both you and Tristan. This is GREAT news!

From the day we met, and stood together behind the backstop and watched my kid try to handle Tristan's hopping knuckler,(along with his three other pitches) I knew that whatever program he ended up with was going to feel very lucky have found him.

It was pretty obvious at the Headfirst camp that Coach Scannell was very high on Tristan. I'm sure he is relieved that the admissions office finally got their act together.

I look forward to following him in his journey, and I am certain that at some place on that path, you and I again will stand behind the backstop together.

And who knows - maybe Jeff will be catching Tristan again!
Shortstopmom: Thank you. Your boundless enthusiasm and encouragement are so much appreciated!!

TRhit: Thank you. You have given me great advice via PM over the past few years and I greatly appreciate the time you spent to give me the answers I was looking for.

deldad: Thank you and we feel very fortunate today!

Infield08: can't wait to meet you guys in SA! I assume they serve margaritas in pitchers down there?

trojan-skipper: being that his best friend over here is from Mississippi, I think that will give him a slight head-start on the language! I will also try to rent the old movie with Fess Parker as Davy Crockett at the Alamo. I'm sure that will help!

ILVBB: Looking forward to sitting in the stands with you one day and enjoying a game or two or three!

CADad: Thanks - all your great info on pitching and stats of all kinds has really been helpful to finding son's place in the college baseball world. Thanks for all you do to help others understand!

Bullwinkle: I couldn't understand what you said because of all the lake weeds you were chewing on in your post (-: Thanks!

MSgrits, wow, you have been a tremendous fountain of information this past year. Thank you for clarifying so much about the weird world of admissions!

Dad04: Thanks. It's good to know that what we were able to do from afar ended up being sufficient to draw interest. The kid has come a long way since we first posted on this site. Though we gently helped him along, it's his work ethic and desire to become great that did the trick.

gotwood: I'm thinking our boys will meet up eventually when Rhodes and Trinity collide at some future point in time! Hope to be there with you. Well have to sit directly, and I mean DIRECTLY, behind the catcher to avoid any rumors of rivalry!
Thanks for your encouragment over the years.

Homeron04: Thanks! We couldn't be more pleased that he took a shine to Trinity then worked hard both academically and athletically to get in. And I just hope he doesn't mind all the debt he'll accrue over four years (-;

jerseydad: Thanks! I know those DIIIs up in your neck of the woods are the ones to beat year after year!

infielddad: amazing! It's almost like you're some kind of angel or something -- or like Charlie in Charlie's Angels -- or Wilson in Home Improvement -- you've never been seen, but you've always been there and have provided loads of encouragement at all the right times! Can only hope that Tristan exits Trinity in the same way Jason did!

TPM: Thanks! Yeah, I figured that 'excuses' wouldn't fly too well if I gave them to Tristan as reasons he could never make it from over here! So instead, we got down to business and got 'er done!

PGStaff: Jerry, thanks a bunch. His very first exposure to higher level ballplayers came at a PG Showcase when he was just a little fella - all 5'6" 130 pounds of him! In the other PG events we did the came later, he was able to see the competition and, more importantly, see that there really are people in the world like him that take the game seriously and love playing it!

curveball07: Thanks for the big Texas welcome! I guess I'll have to get out my old Tony Lama boots, polish them up, and pass them on to the kid!

bluesky: never knew our boys shared the name! Not sure if they ever get up to Dallas to play, but then again I don't know where all the schools on their schedule are.....I'll have to get out a map!
By the way, what he wants as a graduation gift is a particular white Ibanez electric....he says its used by a lot of metal guitarists....whatever....I think we better make sure we can pay tuition and r&b first before looking at yet another guitar!

OLDSLUGGER8: Thanks!! We will try to enjoy without worrying too much! I'm sure his teammates will make him feel right at home.

theEH: Seriously, I have had some real bronchial problems the past month or so and I'm guessing that now that a bit of stress is off I'll get better overnite!

spizzlepop: love the pic! I noticed that the guy's name looks like 'Jae' which is a common name in Korea. I know I should have got involved in the Korean giant inflatable figures export business!!

Corky9999: Thanks, and I will be sure to post any cool things that might happen during his time at TU.

ClevelandDad: Thanks! Your advice has always been top-notch! It has helped us immensely as we moved down the path.

j2H6: Thanks! We are super pleased!

TX05Dad: Thanks for the welcome to the Lone Star State! We are thrilled that it's a great school. My brother was a pitcher back in the day, and focused solely on baseball in his college decision-making. He ended up at two schools where he played ball, but where he now regrest having gone due to the lackluster academic environment. He encouraged us to keep a blend behind the highest academics son could get into with baseball. We sure feel Trinity fits the bill on both counts.

08Dad: Thank you! Your news is next! I can FEEL it!!

Bum: Thanks! Too bad we've been at two venues together (PG National '08s at Irvine and Stanford) but were never able to meet! Someday!! Best wishes to Rusty, too -- it will be fun to follow all these webster kids as they begin their college runs.

observer44: Thanks! You have provided mountains of encouragement over the past few years, and believe me -- it was needed!

Bee: Thanks for the party!! (and sorry for all the bad BeeBumKrak poetry!)

CoachMay: I've got to meet you someday! By the way, I just haven't been able to find a reasonable time to start up these radio interviews again...it's just tough trying to match up workable times from across the planet. If I do get it together (maybe over summer when I'm on hiatus), you'll be the first!

RYNO: Thanks! It's a great feeling!

JT: As my wife once said, "I'm all about the DIII." This was after a presentation by HeadFirst coaches on the differences between DI, DII, DIII, etc. When we matched Tristan's "this is what I want out of college life" with this info, it has been all about the DIII experience ever since! We love it!

Itsinthegame: Thanks! You are one of the first websters I read a lot of when I joined this site back in ought-three. Thanks for everything you give of yourself to help people understand the process!

RHPMom: you have been a ROCK in this whole process! Thanks so much for sharing Drew's story with me so that we felt comfortable with the process. I know we'll meet someday, and I'll look forward to it very much! Best to Drew in the '08 campaign and I'll be tuning in to those webcasts without fail!

CaBB: Thanks! It is a relief....and of course new worries (parent-style) now arise to fill the void! I look forward to the day when he is totally SET, is loving every minute of college life, and maybe even has a girlfriend (a NICE one, mind you!)

RobV: From a former Michigander to a current Michigander, thank you! It is fun, isn't it?!

Rob Kremer: I've said it before and I'll say it again -- I Hope, Hope, Hope Jeff does apply to Trinity and that we'd be able to just sit and watch once again. I have an inkling, however, that Jeff is going to have many, many options as the year unfolds! But keep it in mind (-;

55mom: Thanks for the gift! Those jerseys remind me of the "Little Slugger" baseball pajama tops so many of our kids probably wore when they were toddling around. Ah, the memories.....

btbballfannumber1: Thank you! I never thought we'd get the call, but I've pinched myself and so it must be real!

Thanks again for the well-wishes, everyone. Looking forward to the next webster player we can all congratulate and give that special HSBBW boost to!

Have a good night,

KRAK
Krakatoa--I haven't been on the site for a long time, but just tuned in tonight (to post something) and saw this thread. I am thrilled for you and your son!

You have always seemed like one of the most loving, caring parents and I know it was such an extra struggle to be coming to this from far away. I was hoping you would have a wonderful result and you did! I have heard nothing but good things about Trinity in all respects. All the best and now savor this wonderful feeling!!
Dear Krak and family-

I know you wanted number 1500 to be "The Big One"
but, number 1558 everyone can tell was filled with Pride and Joy. Something you have shown all the readers here on the HSBBWEB is that this process is not an easy one, but it is so important to know what you want and go for it. I have enjoyed being a part of the Krak family journey. Best wishes to you and yours. And of course - you deserve a flower
quote:
Originally posted by Krakatoa:

First the fire, now this...

We went out to do some last minute shopping and dinner -- gone about 2 hours -- come home to find our house pretty much ransacked, with much of my wife and daughter's jewelry gone, and the laptop we saved forever for.........they took what they could carry.

Jeez........

Here's to a better 2008

It looks like your wish is coming true. 2008 is looking real good right now. Huge congratulations and best wishes for continuing good fortune this year and evermore.

Last edited by infidel_08
WAHOOOO!!! Congratulations, y'all!!

This is such exciting news, and exactly what I was hoping would work out for Tristan. You are definitely right Krak, that several of the nicest people on the HSBBWeb have had sons at Trinity, and you are the perfect family to follow in those footsteps.
Big Grin Big Grin

Congrats to Tristan on a job well done, working hard to achieve the grades and the baseball skills for this wonderful opportunity!
Good for you and your family. He will enjoy SA.

quote:
Originally posted by curveball07:

I'll join the celebration party in offering my congrats to your son and family!

Welcome to Texas! Now start working on saying, "Y'all" and the Texan accent!

What a great university - great academics!

Curve, I agree with the y'all but I have always told my out of state friends, we Texans do not have an accent, they do!
Last edited by threeboysdad

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.