Skip to main content

2020dad posted:

One thought though...   If it is just a 'middle school' thread.  It will only apply to us for a short time or not at all.  I think what at least I had in mind was keeping our group in touch for the duration.  The approximately 2020 crowd.   That's why we opened a ~2020 thread and PM. 

My vote is for a middle school or pre-high school board.  The 2020s (or current middle schoolers) will naturally progress to to the HS board and hopfully into the College board.  I see no need to have a message board for each and every grad year.  Just my 2 cents. 

2020dad posted:

One thought though...   If it is just a 'middle school' thread.  It will only apply to us for a short time or not at all.  I think what at least I had in mind was keeping our group in touch for the duration.  The approximately 2020 crowd.   That's why we opened a ~2020 thread and PM. 

Well seems like you forgot the ones who want to participate but don't want to pm.

CaCO3Girl posted:
bballdad2016 posted:
Swampboy posted:

As an administrator of this site, I think it is great that the parents of soon-to-be HS baseball players are already involved in this site, and I'd like to make appropriate adjustments to this site so we can accommodate the discussions and follow the ride of the players in this age group.

I think this is a great idea and with the way baseball is going (more comparative at younger years), it is needed.  I would recommend a message board pinned to the top, similar to the HS and College board.  Just need some message board name recommendations I guess.  And would it be an "annual" or "seasonal" board.  Most pre-HS players play middle school (seasonal) as well as travel ball (annual), sometimes as their primary season (August to August)? 

Hey Swampboy, welcome to the party!  Is there a way to make the 7th-9th grade discussion a button on top but also NOT show up on the recently discussed thread bar on the side?  That way you have to actually click and WANT to see what is being said on the 7th-9th grade forum.  I do my best not to click on the 6u group on the youth board I am on because well, um, yeah SIXu!!!!!  I'd like to give the old timers the same accommodation to be able to avoid the younger forum if they don't want to see the questions.

You have a party going on?

You are viewing from your pc, the interface is much different from a tablet, I pad or phone.

Any reason why I shouldn't let my 2020 C/1B participate in a try-it rowing team this summer? He's a kid who likes to try out all sorts of sports just for fun (fencing, snowboarding, you name it). They row for 2 hrs, 2x per week, which amazingly enough falls on our two baseball-free nights. The two sports would only overlap for about 5 weeks. I'm really just worried about stressing his body. 

msrift posted:

Any reason why I shouldn't let my 2020 C/1B participate in a try-it rowing team this summer? He's a kid who likes to try out all sorts of sports just for fun (fencing, snowboarding, you name it). They row for 2 hrs, 2x per week, which amazingly enough falls on our two baseball-free nights. The two sports would only overlap for about 5 weeks. I'm really just worried about stressing his body. 

Can he swim? 

I don't see much problem with it.  The young kids can handle it. 

msrift posted:

Go for it.  It's a great workout for his legs and back, while haveing a good time on the water.  

msrift posted:

My 8th grade boy has done crew in the fall at school since he does not play football.  I can't think of a sport where teamwork is more essential due to timing.  Good legwork and core work.  He may feel a bit of stress on elbows or shoulders early on, but that should be limited if he is rowing correctly.  My boy has not rowed while playing baseball but I agree - try it and see how it works. 

msrift posted:

It's hard work but it's non impact so it's not that much stress on the body (once he gets used to it).  It will definitely get him in shape!

msrift posted:

A lot of science out now on how strengthening the back of the shoulder prevents throwing injuries, has to do with the muscles used for deceleration. Seems like rowing would be perfect in that respect.

Okay boys and girls we have been having a lot of great conversations on the 2020 give or take a year PM.  We have discussed local bat preferences, tournament likes and dislikes, what our players are doing (yes on occasion we talk about football...SORRY...but it is IN SEASON) and we just recently traded photos of then and now, oh and I complained about my bad day at work...it's a fun thread.

If you have a 2020, give or take a year, and would like to be involved in the new PM on 10/1 please reply here or shoot be a PM.  The PM we started on 9/1 has had 508 messages so far this month, so it's not for the feint of heart.

To be clear, we aren't trading secrets on the mysteries of recruiting, we are just shooting the breeze about our 2020's and talking baseball....okay and sometimes football, but MOSTLY baseball!

TPM posted:

Make sure that you mention to your 2020 group with 508 messages to help support the HSBBW.

That bandwidth isnt free, no matter who pays.

Why am I saying this?  IMO, asking for advice and help in the process is one thing, having your own private sharing opportunity about other things and sharing pictures  is something entirely different.

May I suggest starting your own site.

TPM....one of those mean old timers

I think some prefer commenting in a smaller private group because of comments like that. 

bebobuno05 posted:
TPM posted:

Make sure that you mention to your 2020 group with 508 messages to help support the HSBBW.

That bandwidth isnt free, no matter who pays.

Why am I saying this?  IMO, asking for advice and help in the process is one thing, having your own private sharing opportunity about other things and sharing pictures  is something entirely different.

May I suggest starting your own site.

TPM....one of those mean old timers

I think some prefer commenting in a smaller private group because of comments like that. 

Well, thats too bad, I am sorry that you feel that way. But I honestly dont think many really understand what this site is really about.

Last edited by TPM
msrift posted:

Rowing is a great baseball exercise.  just make sure your son communicates with his coaches so that any baseball workouts can take his rowing into consideration.

Go44dad posted:

Good point, TPM

Will post this link in the 2020 PM, but most read the "Big" board and will see it...

http://www.hsbaseballweb.com/donate.htm

BTW, old is a state of mind.  Mean on the other hand....  LOL!  just kidding!

And if monetizing is a goal, or just breaking even, what if every 10th post on the thread was an ad?  like twitter?

Thanks Go44.  

There are many folks like you who do understand what this site is about.

We've had the "Pre-HS Forum" for years, so there is really no need for anything called "2020 give or take"...There have been 956 topics posted in Pre-HS...it was created specifically for those guys, in response to folks like me that arrived here back in 2000-01, looking for answers for a 13/14 yr old...It was pretty active until a year ago...

Try it... you might like it! 

http://community.hsbaseballweb...orum/pre-high-school

baseballmom posted:

We've had the "Pre-HS Forum" for years, so there is really no need for anything called "2020 give or take"...There have been 956 topics posted in Pre-HS...it was created specifically for those guys, in response to folks like me that arrived here back in 2000-01, looking for answers for a 13/14 yr old...It was pretty active until a year ago...

Good try They were told about it.  But some would rather post behind closed doors in a more PRIVATE group pm.

baseballmom posted:

Here was the problem, a parent of a 2020 would come on and say something like "what's the average speed a 14u is throwing?" And all heck would break loose because it isn't just the pre high school crowd that sees those questions, and very rarely do people seem to take notice that the question was in the pre high school part of the forum.  

"You shouldn't worry about speed, stop putting pressure on your kid, you just need to enjoy the moment, stop treating your player like a 401K, don't measure anything until he makes varsity, it doesn't matter".....and more delightful insights.  This started a back and forth, several 2020's stopped posting, several posts were reported to the moderators for personal attacks, threads were closed....and 2020's started leaving or were no longer willing to ask a question for fear of getting pounced on.

When the question is asked in our little PM we refer to the PG average for 14u, the average for events, and share what we saw last weekend. It's just more peaceful.  If a question comes up on the PM that we as a collective group really don't have much experience the 2020 parent is usually directed to post that to the "Big" board.    We value the experience of people like you and YES even TPM but sometimes we just want to know what the average 14u kid is throwing without receiving a well meaning lecture on why our question isn't important.

Oh boy.  I really don't understand why it gets under people's skin that they can't read out highly secretive posts!  Honestly there are a handful on this site that I just want nothing to do with. One is blocked and I should probably just block the others. I don't really care what they say. I don't know why they would care what I say. We went away for privacy and to get away from that junk. But now it has turned into much much more. We really have become friends. It's just fun. We have disagreements. A couple times even bordered on testy but no one on our PM has ever crossed the line. It's always civil. And when the debate is over we are still friends. The big board and certain old timers should really take lessons. CAUSE THATS WHAT THIS SITE SHOULD BE ALL ABOUT!

IMHO, there's too much worry or concern on velocity for a 14 yr old, CACO or other "2020's" The more important focus would be mechanics & injury prevention. Like I said, & will maintain, HSbaseballweb was started for HS'ers heading to college or the draft. As time passed (abt 6-8 years), the site grew & grew to include a broader audience, all with the view to prepping for scholarship or for a very lucky few, draft eligibility. And, if you'd spend a little time in Pre-HS forum, you'd find some gems from longtime or original site posters like fungo, piaa, TRHit, Redbird05, PG Staff, etc...on the subjects you reference above...and more!! And, things that may yet have come up! 
So...there's really not any NEW revelation...just posters that have grown with their boys...With STILL lots of excellent advice, personal experience, insight. 

And, I agree with those who advise to not put pressure on kids...particularly the 13-14 yr old youngsters...These kids are growing, blooming... or wilting... so quickly...it still needs to be fun for them! They are transitioning...

Again, no need for a separate "group"...

2020dad posted:

Oh boy.  I really don't understand why it gets under people's skin that they can't read out highly secretive posts!  Honestly there are a handful on this site that I just want nothing to do with. One is blocked and I should probably just block the others. I don't really care what they say. I don't know why they would care what I say. We went away for privacy and to get away from that junk. But now it has turned into much much more. We really have become friends. It's just fun. We have disagreements. A couple times even bordered on testy but no one on our PM has ever crossed the line. It's always civil. And when the debate is over we are still friends. The big board and certain old timers should really take lessons. CAUSE THATS WHAT THIS SITE SHOULD BE ALL ABOUT!

I am not interested in your secret posts, I am not even interested what you say on the "big board".

it's not about you. And you don't get it.

Block me.

BASEBALLMOM,

It doesn't matter what your say, they want their own space, that's OK,  but where can you go on the Internet and do that for nothing?  And thencome back in public and tell all how many posts have been put up.  And then you come back to the main board because someone on a website was asking a question, or someone in the private pm board needs a question answered.

WT heck, you don't need a private group pm board to make friends!   LOL  LOL. How long have we known each other?

It's taking advantage. And I don't like seeing others taking advantage of something others have worked so hard for year after year.

Last edited by TPM
TPM posted:

BASEBALLMOM,

It doesn't matter what your say, they want their own space, that's OK,  but where can you go on the Internet and do that for nothing?  And thencome back in public and tell all how many posts have been put up.  And then you come back to the main board because someone on a website was asking a question, or someone in the private pm board needs a question answered.

WT heck, you don't need a private group pm board to make friends!   LOL  LOL. How long have we known each other?

It's taking advantage. And I don't like seeing others taking advantage of something others have worked so hard for year after year.

TPM,

But, I believe, the site is meant to be "taken advantage of" by the kids and parents presently going through the process.  So I think you mean to imply that the persons who are on that PM aren't supporting the site financially?  I, for one, am.  And others on that PM have been encouraged to and have pledged to. 

TPM posted:
2020dad posted:

I am not interested in your secret posts, I am not even interested what you say on the "big board".

it's not about you. And you don't get it.

Block me.

TPM, that is the best advice I have ever heard from you!  I truly appreciate it and will block you immediately!  I can not tell you how pleasant it has been to discourse with you over these last couple years. But all good things must come to an end. Consider yourself blocked. 

TPM posted:

BASEBALLMOM,

I would like to know how we take advantage of this site by having the PM.  Really, not being sarcastic or rolling my eyes, are we causing a strain on resources or does the PM cost more to maintain that the general threads?

Do you know how much extra it costs for the PM messages?  I don't think any of us thought it was any more money, and several of us have donated, including myself. If you have a total, or a gustimate, or there is someone specifically I can ask I would like to know.  

We don't want to take advantage of this site, I'm fairly certain most of us would find that idea abhorrent.  We were looking for a less aggressive place to ask questions and share our issues.  

MomLW posted:
TPM posted:

BASEBALLMOM,

TPM,

But, I believe, the site is meant to be "taken advantage of" by the kids and parents presently going through the process.  So I think you mean to imply that the persons who are on that PM aren't supporting the site financially?  I, for one, am.  And others on that PM have been encouraged to and have pledged to. 

I thank you for your response and I believe that you understand and I know you have learned from this site.

CaCO3Girl posted:
TPM posted:

BASEBALLMOM,

We don't want to take advantage of this site, I'm fairly certain most of us would find that idea abhorrent.  We were looking for a less aggressive place to ask questions and share our issues.  

Where on the internet can you go, for free to learn what you can here about making a HS team or college recruiting from folks that are willing, for no fee to willingly help others.

Where on the internet can you go and have your own private chat group for free?

TPM posted:
CaCO3Girl posted:
TPM posted:

BASEBALLMOM,

Where on the internet can you go, for free to learn what you can here about making a HS team or college recruiting from folks that are willing, for no fee to willingly help others.

Tell me what it costs please, we don't want to take advantage.

CaCO3Girl posted:
TPM posted:
CaCO3Girl posted:
TPM posted:

BASEBALLMOM,

How am I supposed to know that!!!!!!   Someone who gets it posted the donate page. 

TPM posted:
CaCO3Girl posted:
TPM posted:
CaCO3Girl posted:
TPM posted:

BASEBALLMOM,

How am I supposed to know that!!!!!!   Someone who gets it posted the donate page. 

Well, you are telling me that the PM takes advantage and have used the word "free" a bunch of times so I figured you knew that our PM was costing the site more.  Many of us have donated but if the group costs more than we have donated I would like to know. We just want to right a wrong that you say we have done.

Last edited by CaCO3Girl
CaCO3Girl posted:
TPM posted:
CaCO3Girl posted:
TPM posted:
CaCO3Girl posted:
TPM posted:

BASEBALLMOM,

Well, you are telling me that the PM takes advantage and have used the word "free" a bunch of times so I figured you knew that our PM was costing the site more.  Many of us have donated but if the group costs more than we have donated I would like to know. We just want to right a wrong that you say we have done.

Stop worrying about it.  It's just noise.   If the powers that be have a problem with the PM they will take action. 

I've been noticing a lot of question about 13u-15u on the site.  Since it has been awhile I wanted to let people know that we do have this PM (Private Message).  Nothing earth shattering is discussed it's mostly a place to vent and have a sounding board for people in the same time frame as your own kid...if you are the parent of a 2020 (give or take a year or two).

Anyone interested please feel free to post questions here or PM me and we can talk about adding you.

-Caco

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.