Skip to main content

Originally Posted by jacjacatk:
Originally Posted by PGStaff:

There were somewhere around 22,000 innings played in the Major Leagues this year.

There were zero three pitch innings. It is kind of rare.

Based on this report (not mine) it happened at least twice in 2015.

Given the data gaps evident in that report prior to 1988, I'm assuming the necessary PBP data is scarce for dates prior, so it's pretty sketchy before that, but it looks like it happens 3-4 times a year on average these days, so I'd guess the 175 number might be based on verifiable ones, and doesn't account for all the ones that happened prior to comprehensive PBP data.

Edited to add, it looks like that report might have been limited to 1-inning relief outings (possibly due to limitations in the search functionality at BBREF), since there are a bunch of 2-pitch innings in there. But that would probably mean there are a bunch more by SP that aren't getting caught.

Jac, if you add IR=0 (Inherited Runners), that might be more accurate. Thanks for posting that. I didn't know you could query BR like that.

Also, regarding the gaps in the Baseball Almanac list, that page does note the list is "far from being comprehensive", and was compiled from press accounts, not from game stats.

Last edited by MidAtlanticDad

Why just the lower levels? Do you know what percentage of ML runs scored reached 1st by a walk or HBP? Heck, do you know what percentage of runs reached base at any level by BB or HBP, or even for your team? For some reason, all anyone seems to care about is the end result, or run, and whether it was earned or not. Then they opine about things like how bad BBs are or how few runs score that reached base on an error.

It’s a pretty simple thing to track how runs scored reached base. The team I was scoring for is encompassed under the team name “Varsity’.  See attachment.

It’s pretty simple to see that in the games encompassing the data that was used to create that report, almost 40% of all BBs or HBPs ended up scoring, and that about one third of all runs came from the runner reaching base by a BB or HBP. To me those numbers are more than interesting. They’re critical in keep runs from scoring.

Attachments

Files (1)

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.