Tagged With "mask"

Topic

Catching mask

Backstop1512 ·
Okay guys, so I am a catcher recently going into High School. I have worn a hockey mask for all my life. I haven't had much problems with it. I have an All Star MVP4000 and I love it. As I continue to get older I keep seeing more and more traditional...
Topic

Catchers mask?

Iowamom23 ·
My son has informed me that he needs a new catcher's mask. Seems like we buy one every year (he's a sophomore). Any one have a favorite brand to recommend that might get him through high school? How long should a good catcher's mask last?
Topic

Traditional Catchers Mask

EStroup008 ·
So I am going to be a freshman this year, and have a good chance of getting put on varsity, and Im a catcher. This year I want to switch masks from hockey style to traditional but Im not sure. Does anyone have solid information on which one is better?...
Reply

Re: Traditional Catchers Mask

Golfman25 ·
Better check your rules. In our area a two piece is not allowed in HS.
Reply

Re: Traditional Catchers Mask

sportsdad&fan ·
Originally Posted by Golfman25: Better check your rules. In our area a two piece is not allowed in HS. Same here.
Reply

Re: Traditional Catchers Mask

CaCO3Girl ·
Here is a thread on it a few months ago...by the way in GA only the hockey mask is allowed too. http://community.hsbaseballweb...opic/catching-mask-1
Reply

Re: Traditional Catchers Mask

MidAtlanticDad ·
EStroup008, I'm the father of a former catcher. When you say "better", that means safer to me. Surprisingly, there are very few studies on this topic. The best one I have found is below. My layman's interpretation of the data is that both styles offer similar protection from balls hitting the mask directly on the nose. For catchers, that's where I worry most about concussions. Getting hit by a bat or being involved in a collision are also possibilities, and the hockey style is better in...
Reply

Re: Traditional Catchers Mask

Read it! ·
I have played with both, and so has my son who is now a Jr. in HS. We both prefer the hockey style because it is more balanced on our heads, making it easier to move quickly. The traditional mask tends to be heavy on the front side. However, it's really just a personal preference. Whichever one feels better to you and makes you more comfortable while doing the work would be the best choice. Before spending the money, though, see if you can borrow one for a game and try it out. Getting a feel...
Reply

Re: Traditional Catchers Mask

Rob T ·
If you are playing under NFHS, which is the most common rule set for high school - a skullcap / mask combo is not allowed. It has to be a one piece design that covers both ears, and which meets NOCSAE standards.
Reply

Re: Traditional Catchers Mask

Smitty28 ·
Originally Posted by EStroup008: So I am going to be a freshman this year, and have a good chance of getting put on varsity, and Im a catcher. This year I want to switch masks from hockey style to traditional but Im not sure. Does anyone have solid information on which one is better? And also what are some good traditional masks out there. I would like it to be under $90 and the skullcap under $40. Am I even allowed to use a traditional mask? I live in NC. Thanks guys! Why would you want to...
Reply

Re: Traditional Catchers Mask

EStroup008 ·
Originally Posted by Smitty28: Originally Posted by EStroup008: So I am going to be a freshman this year, and have a good chance of getting put on varsity, and Im a catcher. This year I want to switch masks from hockey style to traditional but Im not sure. Does anyone have solid information on which one is better? And also what are some good traditional masks out there. I would like it to be under $90 and the skullcap under $40. Am I even allowed to use a traditional mask? I live in NC.
Reply

Re: Traditional Catchers Mask

MidAtlanticDad ·
Originally Posted by EStroup008: No actually I am doing it because I have had 2 concussions in the last 2 years with my hockey mask. And its not cheap either. And if it keeps on going like it is then its a waste of money. "Cool Factor" doesnt matter when you have brain damage. The traditional style masks are pretty ugly IMO Foul balls to the mask, or another type of impact?
Reply

Re: Traditional Catchers Mask

EStroup008 ·
Originally Posted by MidAtlanticDad: Originally Posted by EStroup008: No actually I am doing it because I have had 2 concussions in the last 2 years with my hockey mask. And its not cheap either. And if it keeps on going like it is then its a waste of money. "Cool Factor" doesnt matter when you have brain damage. The traditional style masks are pretty ugly IMO Foul balls to the mask, or another type of impact? One from a foul to the mask, another from a backswing to the head.
Reply

Re: Traditional Catchers Mask

MidAtlanticDad ·
Originally Posted by EStroup008: One from a foul to the mask, another from a backswing to the head. In that case I would strongly encourage you to stick with hockey style. The traditional style helmet doesn't offer nearly as much protection from a bat backswing. I wish I could tell you which brand/model offers the most impact protection, but that information isn't available to the public, to my knowledge. The All-Star MVP4000 is "Specifically designed and tested for ball speeds exceeding 100...
Reply

Re: Traditional Catchers Mask

Coach Rick ·
I have had three concussions while catching. None from a foul ball to the mask. I have used both style masks; hockey (plastic) and old-style (steel). I always felt that the old style mask with helmet afforded me better protection from foul balls due to more heavy padding surrounding the face. It will fly off on the most direct hits, reducing the impact. In fact, my worst foul was a direct hit when I was wearing the hockey-style mask. Backswings are a greater problem than head injury. I have...
Reply

Re: Catchers mask?

Golfman25 ·
Ok, your son is putting you on. He probably wants something "cooler" than what he has now. Catcher's masks generally last forever as long as their head doesn't grow out of them. Now what doesn't last is the chest protector. After about two years use it smells like &^%$. With that said, get the All Star System Seven. Should last him thru high school.
Reply

Re: Catchers mask?

Iowamom23 ·
He may be putting me on, but he asked me to get exactly what he has now as a back up, so he doesn't want anything "cooler." It seems to be around the chin strap area that it kind of falls apart. Is the All Star System Seven a full set?
Reply

Re: Catchers mask?

IEBSBL ·
Wilson Shox 2.0 is amazing. Has 4 shock protectors on the mask that allows for give. I also agree with Golfman, your kid is blowing smoke. My last 2 Varsity catchers used the same mask for pretty much their entire careers and they played year around.
Reply

Re: Catchers mask?

MDBallDad ·
The All Star series 7 is a professional quality system and is available both as individual components and as a set. It is very pricey but will last for the remainder of his baseball playing days. There are many solid equipment manufacturers. This site has a nice overview but my recommendation would be once you have defined what you value in the gear (weight, protection, price etc.) try to find somewhere to try it on if you can. Sizing is a little different for each mfg. ...
Reply

Re: Catchers mask?

CaCO3Girl ·
I second the wilson shox 2.0, nice breathing room in the back as well as sturdy! This fall some super cool kid swung the bat and let go with one hand so it came around and popped the catcher/my son in the back of the head. It looked and sounded horrible, both sides had coaches running towards him the umpire immediately called the batter out, my son slumped down looking like he was passed out..about 5 seconds later he popped up, brushed himself off and said he was fine. People were waving...
Reply

Re: Catchers mask?

coach2709 ·
What do you mean by chin strap area?
Reply

Re: Catchers mask?

Batty67 ·
My son is one his 3rd set of All Star System 7 gear as he uses them year-round. As another poster mentioned, only the chest pad probably needs replacing due to wear and FUNK, but the boy wants his gear to match. A helmet can probably last 3-4 years of continual use, but my son did almost wear out a set of legs, with the plastic cracked complete in several locations. I always recommend the full hockey-style mask for safety.
Reply

Re: Catchers mask?

9and7dad ·
Big fan of All-Star gear. Mine caught up until senior year of HS and had a set for high school and a set for summer ball. I believe if you contact All Star they will tell you how to clean the chest protector to get away from the smell.
Reply

Re: Catching mask

mepp ·
Related question: My son wants to go to a 2 piece mask because he says that he can see better with it. It seems like that wide design of the mask gives a better view both peripherally and directional line of sight. Was wondering if anyone else had seen that as a reason for going to the old style. Comments?
Reply

Re: Catching mask

Coach_Sampson ·
I've worn both... and there is a perceived difference in field of vision but not any real difference. I think it is due to the sides of the helmet being against your face. But like said before, if your son plays under NFHS rules he has to wear the hockey style helmet
Reply

Re: Catching mask

Bulldog 19 ·
Originally Posted by mepp: Related question: My son wants to go to a 2 piece mask because he says that he can see better with it. It seems like that wide design of the mask gives a better view both peripherally and directional line of sight. Was wondering if anyone else had seen that as a reason for going to the old style. Comments? You can come up with whatever reason you want, NFHS rules specify that the mask must be approved by NOCSAE as a unit. The two-piece mask/helmet does not meet...
Reply

Re: Catching mask

BishopLeftiesDad ·
Originally Posted by Backstop1512: Okay guys, so I am a catcher recently going into High School. I have worn a hockey mask for all my life. I haven't had much problems with it. I have an All Star MVP4000 and I love it. As I continue to get older I keep seeing more and more traditional style masks. I also thought they were cool looking, and after doing some research on them, I have read some Pros and Cons. Most Cons were saying how it doesn't cover ears, or their state doesn't approve it. The...
Reply

Re: Catching mask

Backstop1512 ·
Originally Posted by BishopLeftiesDad: Originally Posted by Backstop1512: Okay guys, so I am a catcher recently going into High School. I have worn a hockey mask for all my life. I haven't had much problems with it. I have an All Star MVP4000 and I love it. As I continue to get older I keep seeing more and more traditional style masks. I also thought they were cool looking, and after doing some research on them, I have read some Pros and Cons. Most Cons were saying how it doesn't cover ears,...
Reply

Re: Catching mask

Golfman25 ·
Unless you trust that the hitters won't clip you, I would stick with the hockey style.
Reply

Re: Catching mask

Smitty28 ·
You have an All-Star MVP4000 and you're thinking of using a two-piece? Geez, that's the best mask you can get. It's pretty cool looking too if you consider Yadier, Buster, etc.
Reply

Re: Catching mask

Coach_Sampson ·
If you're comfortable wearing the hockey style helmet then stick with it.
Reply

Re: Catching mask

coach2709 ·
The mask helmet is there for protection and safety. Never make a decision on any safety equipment based on how cool it looks or what others are doing. Get the one that protects you the most. That would be the hockey style mask.
Reply

Re: Catching mask

Batty67 ·
Originally Posted by coach2709: The mask helmet is there for protection and safety. Never make a decision on any safety equipment based on how cool it looks or what others are doing. Get the one that protects you the most. That would be the hockey style mask. My son is in 9th grade and will be trying out for his HS team in the next few weeks. He has always used a hockey style mask since he started catching in LL 5-6 years ago. All the time he asks me about getting a traditional style and,...
Reply

Re: Catching mask

coach2709 ·
Originally Posted by Batty67: Originally Posted by coach2709: The mask helmet is there for protection and safety. Never make a decision on any safety equipment based on how cool it looks or what others are doing. Get the one that protects you the most. That would be the hockey style mask. My son is in 9th grade and will be trying out for his HS team in the next few weeks. He has always used a hockey style mask since he started catching in LL 5-6 years ago. All the time he asks me about...
Reply

Re: Catching mask

Go44dad ·
....But the whole "cool" and "everyone's doing it" is generational. When the hockey style mask came out everyone wanted to have one because it was "cool" and "everyone's doing it" as well. Now that the hockey style is the norm the kids coming up see the old two piece as trendy...... I'm waiting for the curved bill hat worn straight to come back in style.
Reply

Re: Catching mask

BackstopDad32 ·
My son wears both of the All Star types. We live in TX so in the school year he has to wear the hockey style. No issues with it. In the summer he prefers the two piece. He is a kid who sweats a lot and he finds the two piece to be more comfortable in the heat. He claims it stays drier as well.
Reply

Re: Catching mask

Sugi ·
My son is a 14yo 8th grader and prefers the two piece (Mizuno mask, Wilson skull cap)over his hockey style helmet (All Star 2500). He will wear the All Star if rules says it so and has no problems wearing either. He just prefers the two piece. He says the two piece is cooler (temperature not looks) and on foul tips don't ring his bell like the hockey style sometimes does. The fact that the foul tips don't rattle him is enough for me to support it. I coach his team and I have argued for him...
Reply

Re: Catching mask

Smitty28 ·
Originally Posted by Sugi: My son is a 14yo 8th grader and prefers the two piece (Mizuno mask, Wilson skull cap)over his hockey style helmet (All Star 2500). He will wear the All Star if rules says it so and has no problems wearing either. He just prefers the two piece. He says the two piece is cooler (temperature not looks) and on foul tips don't ring his bell like the hockey style sometimes does. The fact that the foul tips don't rattle him is enough for me to support it. I coach his team...
Reply

Re: Catching mask

Coach_Sampson ·
The only reason I preferred the two piece set up was that it was easier to wear sunglasses with the mask on.
Reply

Re: Catching mask

Batty67 ·
And let's not forget the super-extension follow-through that can clip a catcher in the side or back of the head. Yes, rare, but it does happen. Just another safety consideration.
Reply

Re: Catching mask

trojan-skipper ·
High school rules require the one piece, hockey style, the rationale on I that was there was no way you test a 2 piece together... Kids wear different helmets with different masks. Keep your 2 piece for summer ball but you have no choice for high school.
Reply

Re: Catching mask

piaa_ump ·
Trojan skipper hits this on the head.....if you play under NFHS rules, and most all HS baseball is, there is no choice, the traditional mask and helmet are prohibited for NFHS play. it does have to be NOCSAE certified and have dual ear protection......thus the HSM is the most used mask......
Post
.
×
×
×
×