Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Ok, your son is putting you on.  He probably wants something "cooler" than what he has now.  Catcher's masks generally last forever as long as their head doesn't grow out of them. 

Now what doesn't last is the chest protector.  After about two years use it smells like &^%$. 

With that said, get the All Star System Seven.  Should last him thru high school. 

Golfman25 posted:

Ok, your son is putting you on.  He probably wants something "cooler" than what he has now.  Catcher's masks generally last forever as long as their head doesn't grow out of them. 

He may be putting me on, but he asked me to get exactly what he has now as a back up, so he doesn't want anything "cooler." It seems to be around the chin strap area that it kind of falls apart. Is the All Star System Seven a full set?

The All Star series 7 is a professional quality system and is available both as individual components and as a set.  It is very pricey but will last for the remainder of his baseball playing days.

There are many solid equipment manufacturers.  This site has a nice overview but my recommendation would be once you have defined what you value in the gear (weight, protection, price etc.)  try to find somewhere to try it on if you can.  Sizing is a little different for each mfg.

http://outathomeplate.com/

IEBSBL posted:

Wilson Shox 2.0 is amazing.  Has 4 shock protectors on the mask that allows for give.  I also agree with Golfman, your kid is blowing smoke.  My last 2 Varsity catchers used the same mask for pretty much their entire careers and they played year around.

I second the wilson shox 2.0, nice breathing room in the back as well as sturdy!

This fall some super cool kid swung the bat and let go with one hand so it came around and popped the catcher/my son in the back of the head.  It looked and sounded horrible, both sides had coaches running towards him the umpire immediately called the batter out, my son slumped down looking like he was passed out..about 5 seconds later he popped up, brushed himself off and said he was fine.  People were waving fingers in front of him....and he actually WAS fine, he finished the inning and didn't so much as report a headache.

LOVE that helmet!

Iowamom23 posted:
Golfman25 posted:

He may be putting me on, but he asked me to get exactly what he has now as a back up, so he doesn't want anything "cooler." It seems to be around the chin strap area that it kind of falls apart. Is the All Star System Seven a full set?

What do you mean by chin strap area?

My son is one his 3rd set of All Star System 7 gear as he uses them year-round. As another poster mentioned, only the chest pad probably needs replacing due to wear and FUNK, but the boy wants his gear to match. A helmet can probably last 3-4 years of continual use, but my son did almost wear out a set of legs, with the plastic cracked complete in several locations. I always recommend the full hockey-style mask for safety.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.