Skip to main content

quote:
Originally posted by gotwood4sale:
I agree with Krak...the Plate Lunch in Hawaii...excellent!

Okay for so those that have never made it to the islands.How about an example of the "Plate Lunch".This is called the "Loco Moco":

2 scoops steamed white rice,1 scoop macaroni/potatoe salad,2-3 hamburger patties on top of the rice,2 sunny side up eggs on the patties and top the whole thing off with braown gravy.Wash that down with your favorite beverage and set aside 2 hours for a mid day nap Big Grin.

I was out to the islands many, many years ago. I don't recall the Plate Lunches I ever ordered being so massive. From what you've described, the Loco Moco, it could actually be considered one of the islands!

I do kinda' remember the Plate Lunches having Teriyaki...and I do remember the mid day naps!

And of course...Zippy's!

And all of that weird tasting Yick Lung candy stuff.

Wink
Last edited by gotwood4sale

Li Hing Mui

Foods really don’t get more ancient than the li hing mui (preserved plum seeds seasoned with licorice, sugar and salt). Records show that Lao-Tse, the famous philosopher, and Confucius snacked on them regularly and its popularity has only grown in the more than 19 centuries that have since passed. In Hawaii, where they are most popular, locals like to pound the li hing mui into a fine powder or turn it into a syrup and cover just about anything edible with it. Recipes have been created that coat, infuse, shellac, dip and marinate foods such as gummy bears, popcorn, dried fruits, cake and even steak and tuna with this sweet and salty sauce. Many say that the li hing mui boasts a strangely addictive taste which keeps them coming back for more—it isn’t nicknamed crack seed for nothing.

Good call Sugi...I think it's wise to stay away from that stuff...no matter what Confucius say!

quote:
I agree with Krak...the Plate Lunch in Hawaii...excellent!

Oh bruddah',...there's nothing like em'! YUM O LICIOUS!!! Visually they may not look like much, but taste-wise they are like heaven!!

Beef stew:

Island favorite: Loco Moco

And speaking of li hing mui,....instead of eating bubblegum,....most of the boys on my son's Hawaiian baseball team would put a li hing mui plum seed in their mouth and then they would spit out the red/orange juice all game. Fun!! Big Grin

** SSMom's Simple Kalua pig **
( A baseball tailgate must, on or off the island! )

Ingredients:
3 lb pork but t
1 1/2 teaspoons liquid smoke
1 cup soy sauce
2 1/4 teaspoons Hawaiian salt, or sea salt.

Pierce pork but t all over with carving fork.
Rub salt and liquid smoke into meat. Place soy sauce in cooker. Put pork but t into slow cooker/crockpot.
Cook on low for 8 hours turning once.

Remove meat, shred, and then add juices from slow cooker to shredded meat.
Serve over rice.

~ Aloha ~

Last edited by shortstopmom

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.