Skip to main content

Lane Tech will play Clemente today at 3pm at US Cellular for the 2006 CPS City Championship.

If you have never been to a Lane/Clemente game before you should come and check out this war.
Clemente won the only meeting of the year 7-5 in a 9 inning battle. Both of these teams feature some of the top 07' players in the state along with some great seniors.

Pitching matchup will most likely be
Oscar Sanchez vs. Bryan Platt

Come by and say Hi if you attend.

Justin Stringer
Do It Right Baseball
Lane Tech Baseball
HSBASEBALLWEB SPONSOR
www.doitrightbaseball.com
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Congratulation LANE TECH! Back 2 Back 'ships
AND
A record 24th VARSITY Title
LANE 6
Clemente 4
Brian Platt CG
Danny Serrano defansive MVP
Both teams made a few errors but it was a hard fought victory as are all games when these two squads play each other.
can't wait for next season Lane is going to have most of their starters back.
Good luck to Willie Davila , David Pena ,
Thomas McGurn , Josh Velasquez.
And Congrats to Coach Szukala , Coach Stringer and Coach Bishoff.
Last edited by ozziesgotee
Serrano leads Lane to 2nd straight title
Junior OF drives in winning run, starts game-ending play

By Dave Surico
Tribune staff reporter
Published June 13, 2006

Daniel Serrano picked the right setting to make major-league plays. The junior used his glove and bat to help Lane Tech win its second consecutive Public League city championship with a 6-4 victory Monday over Clemente at U.S. Cellular Field.

The junior right fielder laid out for a diving catch that started the game-ending double play that gave Lane the title.

Clemente (24-9) had one run in, a runner on first base and one out in the bottom of the seventh. After Devin Mejecio took off on the pitch, Gabriel Perez hit a flair down the line that Serrano snagged. Then he threw quickly to first to double up Mejecio.

"I saw the ball hit the bat and knew it wasn't a hard hit." Serrano said. "I ran my butt off trying to make a play out of nothing and I did. When we are up in games in the last two innings, we count down outs. That was my main focus, make an out."

Serrano also contributed with a triple near the warning track in center field that knocked in the game-winning run in the fifth.

Staff ace Bryan Platt improved to 7-4 with the victory.

"I kept saying to myself on the mound `Focus, focus, focus.' That really helped me a lot" the junior said.

Lane Tech (23-14) pinned the loss on Chicago Public Schools player of the year Oscar Sanchez, who fell to 7-4 after allowing one earned run in five innings

"We started making errors. I let the errors get to my head," said Sanchez, who will pitch at Indian Hills Community College in Ottumwa, Iowa, next year. "I tried to overthrow."
quote:
I really don't want to be rude, but why in the hell does the Public League still have a city baseball championship AFTER the IHSA playoffs are over?

No one but the city teams and fans even care.

Talk to the genius who came up with this idea, CPS Baseball Coordinator Eddie Curry. I believe "why in the hell are our playoffs during and after state" was my response the first time I heard it as well.

Also, there were quite a few scouts and college coaches who seemed to care enough to show up.

Justin Stringer
Do It Right Baseball
Lane Tech Baseball
HSBASEBALLWEB SPONSOR
quote:
Originally posted by LTBB47:
quote:
I really don't want to be rude, but why in the hell does the Public League still have a city baseball championship AFTER the IHSA playoffs are over?

No one but the city teams and fans even care.

Talk to the genius who came up with this idea, CPS Baseball Coordinator Eddie Curry. I believe "why in the hell are our playoffs during and after state" was my response the first time I heard it as well.

Also, there were quite a few scouts and college coaches who seemed to care enough to show up.

Justin Stringer
Do It Right Baseball
Lane Tech Baseball
HSBASEBALLWEB SPONSOR

Lane aces another final

June 13, 2006
BY SETH SCHWARTZ

After taking its tests in class Monday morning, Lane Tech boarded a bus for another final exam -- the Public League championship at U.S. Cellular Field.

The Indians got a perfect score, beating Clemente 6-4 to repeat as city champions. It was the 13th Public League title Lane has brought home this school year.

"The reason we've had such success is not the facilities or anything like that,'' Lane coach Jeff Szukala said. "We have tremendous kids.''

Jonathan Quiles reached on a bloop single and went to second on Marvin Sanchez's throwing error to start the top of the third inning for the Indians (23-14). David Pena's single to left scored Quiles. After Josh Colon walked, Pena stole third and came home when catcher Israel Marty's throw went into left field.

In the bottom of the inning, Clemente's Rafael Garcia laced a run-scoring double and was safe at third when third baseman Sam Graebe dropped the ball. Garcia scored on Devin Melecio's grounder for a 2-2 tie.

In the bottom of the fourth, Anthony Alvarez lined a single to right. Oscar Sanchez raced around third, but Dan Serrano's perfect throw beat Sanchez at the plate. Alvarez took advantage of four Lane errors and scored on Marty's fielder's choice, giving the Wildcats a 3-2 lead.

Despite the Indians' eight errors, ace Bryan Platt (7-4) was in control. He scattered five hits, struck out three, walked one and stranded seven.

"My two-seam fastball was moving a lot, and I mixed in a curve and change,'' Platt said.

After striking out looking in the third, Serrano was ready in the top of the fifth. He sent a 1-0 offering to the warning track in center for a two-run triple. He came home on Adam Nieves' ground out, putting Lane back up 5-3.

"Oscar is a competitor, and I knew he wasn't going to go 2-0,'' Serrano said. "I knew a fastball was coming, and I hit it hard.''

With one out in the seventh, Graebe singled off reliever Garcia. He stole second, went to third on a passed ball and scored on a wild pitch for a 6-3 lead.

In the bottom of the inning, Marvin Sanchez led off with a single, stole second and went to third on Quiles' throwing error. Garcia's grounder to second scored Sanchez. Melecio followed with a single, and the crowd was on its feet. Gabriel Perez sent a short fly to right, but Serrano made a diving catch and doubled up Melecio at first.

''Danny made two huge plays for us,'' Szukala said. "He's been doing that all year.''

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.