Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Here's my son's schedule:

During fall practice (through late October):
7 - Dress and have breakfast (my son's head coach did not mandate early morning weights or running)
8-12 - classes
12:30 or 1 to 5 or 6 - practice
Evening - dinner/study hall/weights

November and December:
Classes 'til noon, weights/hitting in afternoon, dinner/study hall in evening

Hope this helps.
quote:
Originally posted by OLDSLUGGER8:
quote:
Originally posted by Bulldog 19:
There aren't many college students who make it to bed by 10:30 each night. I'd be surprised if many athletes were able to do it..

The right track are in the minority.

come on now, be realistic, if a kid does go to bed at 10:30 and gets up at 7ish that is 8.5 hours of sleep. what college student, never mind athlete, gets that much sleep??? i will agree with you that they are a minority. a very, very small minority. possibly a minority that does not exist.
Last edited by Lonzo
5:15 Freshman duties
7:00 Breakfast formation
8:00 Classes
12:00 Lunch
1:00 Deans Hour (study session all students)
2:00 Class
3:15 Practice
6:45 Weigh Training
7:45 Dinner
8:30 Freshman Duties
9:30- 1:00 am study

But it may be a little different at other colleges Big Grin

Last year the freshman had 22 credit hours of classes in season. Lucky for them it gets lightened to 19 hours this year as sophs...oh happy day! Wink
Last edited by CPLZ
Don't know if its typical -- son is frosh at NESCAC school.

First class was 9 or 10 Monday thru Thursday. 11 on Friday. Only four classes, but they varied in length and took up most the day, except Friday.

Captain's practices began first week of classes.
3-til' dinner. (sometimes as early as 5, sometimes as late as 7) Every Saturday, late morning early afternoon
Late October they began agility and weight training. These sessions (still run by captains) were everyday 2 hours starting as early as 3 and as late as 4:30.

My son's study schedule was longer than he had anticipated and judging from comments, probably could have even spent more time studying. Never in bed, before 11, most nights midnight at least.
On his official visit at one school, my son learned that it was clear that enforcing a 10:30 p.m. lights out rule is not an issue. Most of the boys said they fell asleep around 10 p.m.

Also, every school we talked with has early registration for athletes, so getting a good schedule that fits isn't a problem in most cases.

Depending on how much discipline is instilled by the program, if the kids use their time well, they can get 8-9 hours of sleep and stay up with classes. Using time well means taking advantage of study halls and tutoring, and deferring the video games to the weekend.
This is where having an academic advisor helps the student athlete. Regisitration is held each year for all incoming students at the same time. At sons school, there were different registration and orientation times, we took the one that fit into his schedule, but the academic advisor would have done it if he couldn't attend. When he met with him, as he did each and every semester at registration time, everything was all set and ready as per previous conversations and options avaliable. His classes were suggested based on his major and he didn't have to figure out what he needed or didn't need. If a major had afternoon labs only, you are out of luck as that's practice time or in spring 2 games per week you had to work around, games midweek were always the same day. My son tried to avoid friday classes. Monday is required day off from the NCAA so that day he loaded up from morning until night if possible.
All coaches do things differently, son's program you had to be free between 3-7 everyday for practice and workouts in fall, freshman got time to eat before required study hall which was for everyone, not a select few, those are the rules, you must as a student athlete do first semester study hall sunday to thursday. And most still ahve to be at teh field for 4X1 or for bullpen when you are assigned, according to yor schedule.

I am not so sure about the 10:30, not sure son ever hit the bed at 10:30 unless he was pitching the next day in college and never a curfew except on weekends. Coaches know and want their players to experience most aspects of college and that includes socialization.
Policies vary from school to school. In the spring, spring varsity athletes are given scheduling preference at Wake so as to help them work around their commitments. An afternoon lab would be a Monday necessity for a baseball player, because they usually have Mondays off.

As for study halls, Wake has a building with study halls and tutors available. Freshmen must clock in to the building at least 8 hours each week, even in season when they might be on the road a lot. My understanding is that a lot of that time in season gets logged on those Monday off days. Upper classmen do as they please, but with such help available and free, why not? Plus, the building ends up being a place to meet up and stay in touch, plus you meet athletes from other teams as well.

The women's s****r team is set up with the same support staffers as the baseball team, and at Wake that is good reason to frequent the academic support building!
quote:
I am not so sure about the 10:30, not sure son ever hit the bed at 10:30 unless he was pitching the next day in college and never a curfew except on weekends. Coaches know and want their players to experience most aspects of college and that includes socialization.

For my son and his 2 baseball roommates, fall practices and workouts were so grueling that they hit the sack whenever possible. Socialization was usually way down their list of priorities.
Infield08,

What I have found is that some coaches work the kids too hard so they will be exhausted and not want to do anything else, that means less trouble to get into and I understand that. My son's coaches worked them hard in practice, but also allowed for them to find balance in other interests. That worked for him. As a parent that worked for us too. Smile
quote:
What I have found is that some coaches work the kids too hard so they will be exhausted and not want to do anything else, that means less trouble to get into and I understand that.

I've been told that's why spring football is held at 5:30-6AM rather than in the afternoons. It forces the players to go to bed earlier thus they are not out getting in trouble.

At SEMO, the student-athletes get priority registration. All athletes get to register for classes the same day that Grad Students can begin registering. The athletic training students also get this benefit since we have similar schedule conflicts at times.. We were told the only classes as athletic training students that we could take in the afternoons were required science classes if it doesn't work anywhere else.
quote:
My response in this thread was to the poster who asked "who would curfew 18-21 year old men"?

Let's be accurate. My question read "Who successfully enforces a 10:30pm curfew on 18-21 yr old young men?" (emphasis added) I have not challenged whether a coach would enact such a rule. I will challenge his level of success enforcing the rule. All of these young men will steal sleep whenever they can find it. Expecting that baseball/football/basketball players will follow a regimented bedtime curfew is unrealistic - exception to the military academies acknowledged.

The recent thread about the Cressey article got me thinking about pitching routines in college, especially during the fall (how much do they throw and when do they stop and start back).  Did some searching and did not find much specific about pitching, but ran across this general post about fall schedules.  Was wondering if anyone wanted to update with their son's fall schedule as well as add specifics about throwing during the fall, either as a new freshman or a returning player that may or may not have pitched during the summer.

My son's weekday schedule last fall was something close to this

8am - 2pm  Class

2pm - 5pm  Practice or conditioning/lifting (some days 1-2 hours....some all 3)

6pm - 8pm (3 days/week)  Study table with all the other freshman players

Pretty much the same schedule this spring if it wasn't a game day....but study table was not mandatory due to his fall semester GPA

Last edited by Buckeye 2015

I know this is about fall.....but here's an example of what he wasn't prepared for....and what really put him in a time crunch this spring.  We knew it was a busy time.....but that's an understatement. 

This is for a weekday DH 160 miles from his school

7:00am   Leave

1:00pm  DH

11:00pm Return to school (actually ended up being 11:40)

Single weekday game - 200 miles from school

9:00 am   Leave

3:05pm  Game

10:00 Return to school (ended up almost 11:00)

--Keep in mind, class the next day 8:00am

To 2017LHPSCREWBALL -  I assume, from a quick perusal of this topic, that you are asking about D1, but whether D1 or D3, coaches will expect pitchers to come in ready to start throwing in fall games. In other words, really no time to ramp up. So if your son did not play during the summer, he will need to keep up a throwing routine to have his arm ready. He could certainly take a break from game type throwing after his spring season (in my opinion) but needs to get back with it in time to be in shape for games once he gets to campus in the fall. If not playing summer ball, it may be a good time to be working with his pitching coach, assuming he has one.

Sort of a follow up on my question.  What is the "schedule" between fall and spring?  Do practices fall off towards the end of the fall semester - or do they go right up to then end of semester?  Do pitchers continue to pitch into November and beyond at 100%, or do they get down time.  Knowing when things get ramped back up in the spring, I don't imagine there is much down time for pitchers once school gets back in session.  To word differently, how many weeks did you son stop throwing and and specifically which calendar weeks?

for my son (D1)

freshman year (last year). he was expected to come into fall ready to compete and he did. he pitched summer ball between HS and college until first week of July, stopped pitching for 4 weeks (but worked out a lot, still played ball as a position player). then went back at it pitching 2nd week of August. Practice started 1st week of September. Daily specific workouts including pitching until first weekend of November. Then they were shut down from any pitching entire month of November. No organized team practices until January, but he started throwing and ramping up starting 3rd week of December.

Sophomore year. he had pitched summer ball all summer from 2 days after college season ended until mid August. When he got back to school 3rd week August, they shut him down for a month. They knew him and what role they expected him to compete for. Starting throwing in earnest from mid September thru October. Then same routine as freshman year.

Really no official practice from end of October until sometime in early January (There are specific practice dates for D1 to end in fall and start in January). Doesn't mean they don't work out every day. In fact, if they do not have a specific work out routine, when they get back from winter break, they will be way far behind and may not catch up IMO. But the actual pitching ends for about 8 weeks.

I personally am interested in D1 type schedules, but curios as to differences with D3.  2017's summer this year will likely be less intense than prior summers but get in lots of strength training and hopefully enough regular pitching.  Thinking high school catcher friend may be key in getting in some regular bullpen work.  From what CHEFMIKE outlines, I guess 2017 will have to get some momentum going into late summer next year and carry that through the fall.  No official summer program before freshman year, but have heard about a few programs that actually get the kid onto campus during the summer as an early orientation session such that there is less campus-shock come fall.

As far as D3, I don't know if it varies by conference, but for my son's conference (Centennial), a limit of, I believe, it was either 15 or 16 official practices or games could be held during September and October. At my son't school all of these were used for games, as I assume was the case throughout the conference. After that, as in D1 outlined above, unofficial workouts continued, but were supervised by upperclassmen rather than coaches. For pitchers, that would have primarily been strength, speed, etc., specific to their needs. No team workouts, including throwing, would have begun until players reported back for classes in January, so a little later than indicated in the D1 schedule outlined above. And of course, the number of games played in the spring is different - around 40 for D3 vs. around 60 (?) for D1. In 2016, my son's alma mater carried 12 pitchers on the roster, three of whom were also listed as both pitchers and position players. If you compare this to Stanford, for example, who carried 18 pitchers on their roster, then the relative number of pitchers and games may have worked out to similar workloads per pitcher over the spring for D3 vs D1? (If you just divide it out, it comes to exactly 3.33 games/pitcher at both levels, although that is probably an oversimplification. 

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.