Skip to main content

It's a privilege that the number 1 highschool team in the nation is right here from Baltimore, Maryland.Our highschool played them 2 weeks ago, even though we lost them 7-0,we only gave up 3 earned runs.The school is 15-20 mins away from me and i have alot of good friends on the team(i basically know the whole team) i see alot,and ive played with the whole team or against them in tournaments or competitive summer ball at some time.But i just thought i give them some support and good luck in cali..pretty sure they are playing right now

PS-They are finishing up on their all turf and stadium up now which is somewhere close to i think 2 million dollars. I got some pictures on my phone from friends sending them too me,should put them up
"We NOT Me"
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

quote:
Originally posted by TheOutfielder30:
It's a privilege that the number 1 highschool team in the nation is right here from Baltimore, Maryland.Our highschool played them 2 weeks ago, even though we lost them 7-0,we only gave up 3 earned runs.The school is 15-20 mins away from me and i have alot of good friends on the team(i basically know the whole team) i see alot,and ive played with the whole team or against them in tournaments or competitive summer ball at some time.But i just thought i give them some support and good luck in cali..pretty sure they are playing right now

PS-They are finishing up on their all turf and stadium up now which is somewhere close to i think 2 million dollars. I got some pictures on my phone from friends sending them too me,should put them up

I thought the number 1 team in the nation was American Heritage out of Plantation, Florida???
1. Calvert Hall HS, Baltimore 2-0 2
The Cardinals' season is barely under way, but the No. 1 spot was up for grabs after Wilson stumbled. The real test comes after Easter weekend when Calvert Hall will participate in the National Classic in Anaheim. The tournament features seven teams in the Baseball America Preseason Top 50.
2. Wilson HS, Long Beach, Calif. 6-1 1
The Bruins lost 6-1 to Anaheim's Katella HS, but will have a very good chance of reclaiming the top spot after the Anaheim Lions tournament.
3. American Heritage HS, Plantation, Fla. 11-1 3
The Patriots lone loss came to against a competitive Stephen's County (Ga.) HS in the LaGrange Invitational, but they've won three straight and still have the highest ceiling of any team.
4. Sarasota (Fla.) HS 10-1 4
The Sailors have won four straight since a 3-2 loss to Eagle's View, an emerging sleeper in Jacksonville.
5. Tupelo (Miss.) HS 13-0 9
Still No. 1 in Mississippi, Tupelo is off to a hot start, but has the brunt of division play coming up, something head coach Gary Enis knows won't be easy.
6. James River HS, Midlothian, Va. 1-0 7
It's still cold in the Mid-Atlantic region and Virginia high schools only got started last week. The Rapids beat Richmond's Benedictine HS 10-3 and has one more game before heading west to the National Classic.
7. Vista Murrieta, Murrieta, Calif. 7-1 8
Yet another National Classic participant, Vista Murrieta dropped one game to Los Alamitos (Calif.) HS in the Loara Tournament championship, but still has the advantage of a challenging schedule and region on their side.
8. St. John's HS, Washington, D.C. 2-0 10
The Cadets opened the season with a 2-0 win over Stafford (Va.) HS then beat Potomac HS of Dumfries, Va. Next up is a trip to Anaheim.
9. Bishop Gorman HS, Las Vegas 7-0 12
The Gaels have outscored opponents 85-20 in their first seven games. They've won 16 straight games dating back to 2007.
10. Walton (Ga.) HS 4-1 11
After dropping their season opener to South Gwinnett, the Raiders have won four straight in a tough Cobb County schedule.
11. Moody HS, Corpus Christi, Texas 15-2 16
A 6-3 victory over rival and area powerhouse Calallen helped boost Moody five spots, but the Trojans have division play approaching which is always challenging in baseball-rich Texas.
12. Bartlett (Tenn.) HS 3-1 14
Warming up and unscathed by the tornados that damaged the Memphis area, the Panthers lost to Lassiter (Ga.) HS and were threatened by the Atlanta tornado, which canceled their day's second game.
13. Brookwood HS, Snellville, Ga. 6-0 NR
All the Broncos did in the last two weeks was go to the LaGrange Invitational and knock off perennial powerhouse Cartersville (Ga.) twice along with former No. 21 Flanagan HS (Pembroke Pines, Fla.)
14. Kokomo (Ind.) HS 0-0 17
Kokomo has yet to play a game. The Indiana high school season opens on March 25.
15. Lutheran HS, Orange, Calif. 7-1 25
The Lancers vaulted 10 spots after winning six straight while righthander Gerrit Cole has struck out 28 in 17 innings.
16. Holt HS, Wentzville, Mo. 0-0 18
Missouri will get started with high school contests at the end of March and scouts are itching to see Holt's righthander Tim Melville.
17. Owasso (Okla.) HS 5-0 23
The Rams are off to their normal start and are one of the teams responsible for dropping Catalina Foothills after a 10-1 victory.
18. Texarkana (Ark.) HS 12-4 15
The Razorbacks faltered in a couple of tournaments but are getting righthander Garrett Underwood back from shoulder trouble and Bo Bigham has nine home runs.
19. Cy-Fair HS, Cypress, Texas 10-4 13
Robbie Grossman is living up to expectations, batting over .400 and helping his team off to a 3-0 district start. The Bobcats' only blemishes come in close games to tough competition.
20. O'Connor HS, Glendale, Ariz. 10-1 20
The Eagles have won 10 straight, but still have to dip into a tough local schedule that includes No. 23 Chaparral, who is on the rise.
21. Sunrise Mountain HS, Peoria, Ariz. 12-1 NR
The Mustangs' season started off with a bang when lefthander Jaff Decker through a no-hitter. Their win column includes two giants, Hamilton and Horizon, both teams that appeared in the top 50 a year ago.
22. Clovis West HS, Fresno, Calif. 9-1 NR
Putting Central California on the map are the Clovis West Cougars. Their only loss came in pool play of the Coca-Cola Classic, which they went on to win.
23. Chaparral, Scottsdale, Ariz. 9-1 NR
The Firebirds have knocked off Catalina Foothills and Horizon with Hamilton and Rocky Mountain (Colo.) coming up in the Cleats National Invitational.
24. Nova HS, Davie, Fla. 12-1 NR
The Titans bring another challenging schedule to the table and were able to knock off Stephens County and LaGrange in the LaGrange Invitation earlier this month. Next up is the ever-talented St. Thomas Aquinas (Fort Lauderdale) and then they play host to the Nova Tournament.
25. Valley Christian HS, Cerritos, Calif. 9-2 NR
The Warriors snagged the final poll spot, edging Aptos (Calif.) HS, who would be at No. 26 had we ranked that far, with a 2-1 victory.
Dropped out: No. 5 Catalina Foothills HS, Tucson (3-4); No. 6 Barbe HS, Lake Charles, La. (17-4); No. 19 Chatsworth (Calif.) HS (5-2); No. 21 Flanagan HS, Pembroke Pines, Fla. (6-5); No. 22 Cypress (Calif.) HS (5-2); No. 24 Washington HS, New York City (0-0)
Without trying to offend anyone, after watching teams play this week at the Anderson Bat National tournament, there are many teams that look like they could be ranked # 1. Calvert Hall had a rough couple of days out in CA. and seeing all these great teams from all over the US you realize really how little rankings mean. I've never watched Gerrit Cole from Orange Luthern play until tonight and he was throwing 96 consistently and making his team look like the #1 team in the nation.(We only stayed for 3 innings so don't know the outcome of the game). I agree with TRhit that they probably don't really mean too much.
quote:
Originally posted by Dooer:
CABB, how did Aptos fair in that tourney?

Aptos lost their 1st round game to Seminole Ridge, Florida, but then won against Calvert Hall, MD (soon to be formerly ranked #1) in the 2nd round.

James River, VA Ranked ranked #6 lost to Esperanza, CA

Murietta, CA ranked #7 lost to St Johns, DC ranked #8.
There must be half a dozen polls published by different groups, including Baseball America, Perfect Game (PGCrosschecker.com), USAToday, Sports Illustrated, etc.

Hey, it's fun to be mentioned, but don't take it seriously. There's no way anyone can evaluate 5,000 teams and really rank them effectively.

The Anderson Bat tourney has been great, but it also shows that in baseball, even the best teams lose sometimes. We (James River) had a 2-1 lead with 2 outs in the bottom of the 7th and gave it up. We played a good team but this was clearly a game that could've gone either way.

Our team has 2 pitchers who can match up with anybody. How we're going to handle 4 games in 4 days, who knows. If our second game is any indication, perhaps not very well! But how do you evaluate us for ranking purposes -- based on how we match up starting next week when we typically play 2 games a week, or based on how we struggle when we get deeper into the bullpen?

It's early in the season for us and we are showing some weaknesses. I think we'll improve as the season goes along -- isn't that the goal? I'm not sure we are really "game ready" to be playing teams with several games already under their belts. By season's end, maybe we'll win something substantial. But I don't see how anyone could've thought our team was #6 in the US coming in.

Still, it was fun to talk about while it lasted!
Last edited by Midlo Dad
quote:
Originally posted by Midlo Dad:
There must be half a dozen polls published by different groups, including Baseball America, Perfect Game (PGCrosschecker.com), USAToday, Sports Illustrated, etc.

Hey, it's fun to be mentioned, but don't take it seriously. There's no way anyone can evaluate 5,000 teams and really rank them effectively.

The Anderson Bat tourney has been great, but it also shows that in baseball, even the best teams lose sometimes. We (James River) had a 2-1 lead with 2 outs in the bottom of the 7th and gave it up. We played a good team but this was clearly a game that could've gone either way.

Our team has 2 pitchers who can match up with anybody. How we're going to handle 4 games in 4 days, who knows. If our second game is any indication, perhaps not very well! But how do you evaluate us for ranking purposes -- based on how we match up starting next week when we typically play 2 games a week, or based on how we struggle when we get deeper into the bullpen?

It's early in the season for us and we are showing some weaknesses. I think we'll improve as the season goes along -- isn't that the goal? I'm not sure we are really "game ready" to be playing teams with several games already under their belts. By season's end, maybe we'll win something substantial. But I don't see how anyone could've thought our team was #6 in the US coming in.

Still, it was fun to talk about while it lasted!

Part of ranking is the depth of the team. 2 strong pitchers is not enough in California where almost any team can beat you. This means you have less opportunity to give your 2 starters a break against weaker teams, to reduce the chances of dead arm periods or injury.

We sometimes have 4 games a week during our regular season. We have scheduled games for April 8, April 11 and a double header against Thousand Oaks, CA on April 12.
Last edited by MTS
You also have much larger high schools, i.e., a bigger student body from which to draw a team. But if you're just measuring team against team with no excuses, I would have to agree with you.

Our team last year was deep in the lineup, and we had three top line pitchers and a fourth who was steady if unspectacular. This year we have 2 top pitchers, a third who has great days and not-so-great days, and after that it gets dicey. I think our ranking is a product of last year's performance more so than this year's roster.

As for the thought that started this thread, enjoy the Calvert Hall ranking while you have it. After this week that could become a distant memory. (And the same might be said about our guys, too!)
We have approximately 600 students. All boys. So we are ranked as a school with 1200 students. We are 2-0 so far. One of our lefty closers was clocked at 93 mph last night.

I'm a bit worried since we are facing St Johns, DC at 8:00 pm tonight. But we haven't used our ace starter yet Darn, we have used our starter last night. But we haven't used our other lefty that has also broken the 90 mph mark.
Last edited by MTS
Totally agree with MidloDad that polls are fun but don't take them seriously. Luckily I think the players keep this in a good perspective. And as we know what goes up usually goes down and it's not fun to hear mutterings of "over-rated" when playing a game. That hasn't happened to our team while playing in SoCal but has @ home. It bugs the parents more than it does the players.

Dooer-see the post about the Anderson Bat Nat. Classic in the "I'll see you there section" for the Aptos results.
quote:
Originally posted by Midlo Dad:
There are some private schools that will attract students based on the strength of their baseball program. St. John's is one. So, it's harder to compare those types of schools with public schools, who get their players more at random.

Los Angeles City Schools have open enrollment. It's the reason that Chatsworth HS is often stacked. You wll find the athletes are able to hook up with the coaches or schools that they want to play for, even when residency is tightly enforced. Some Families move into apartments in the district or move the kid in with relatives that reside in the district. This practice occurs nationwide in football, basketball and...gasp...baseball. Private schools offer scholarships to those that can't afford them. John Elway is an example, as is Gary Matthews Jr. This happens a lot more than you know.
Last edited by MTS

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.