Skip to main content

Hi everyone,
I'm a baseball dad who has two sons that are high school pitchers. One a junior righty, age 17, who throws around 82mph. Another, a sophomore lefty, age 15, who throws around 77mph.

We all know that they need to throw at least 10mph faster if they want to get to the next level, which they do.

What would be the one major tip that you would give a kid at this age to gain another 10 mph on their fastball.

Thanks,

Baseball Dad1
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I'm an 18 lefty. Last year I threw around 82 and after a year of hard work and letting my body mature I am a consistent 87-88 and ultimately led to a baseball scholarship.

For the 17 year old, getting stronger and just maturing should add velocity. Also one of the biggest things for me was my mechanics. In order to throw hard, you need to have good mechanics.

For the 15 year old, he still has a couple of years until colleges really start looking.

Long distance running will help them throw harder deeper into games and good mechanics will prevent injury.

Hope I could help.
Welcome to the HSBBW BaseballDad1. Good screen name! Ahhh, the elusive 10 more miles per hour. If there were a guaranteed method for adding 10 mph it would be so well know that no one would have to ask. Wink The first thing I would suggest is for you to take your sons to a qualified pitching instructor. You don’t have to break the bank here. A couple of times a month should keep your sons on track. Their mechanics need to be correct prior to expecting any velocity gains. If you attend the lessons and LISTEN to what the pitching instructor is teaching, you can continue those lessons at home and work out an “exercise schedule” for each son. Their pitching instructor should be more than willing to help you devise a plan. I made a workout schedule (and some homemade gimmicks) for my son that included thera bands, rice bucket, resistance exercises, light weights, running, and long toss. Even with my “homespun” method of training I was able to significantly improve his velocity ---- but then again he may have thrown harder if I had left him alone. Big Grin
Fungo
Last edited by Fungo
Sorry to disagree with Krakatoa but I would have to recommend against unbreakable abs. I bought the DVD and sent it back as I believed it extremely overpriced for the value. You'd be better off taking that money and a few extra dollars and going to a professional trainer to set up an ab program where he could monitor your technique. JMHO
First, let me dismiss the myth that you need to throw 90 mph to pitch at the next level. My son is a freshman D1 RHP(not at a top 25 program, but in a top 10 conference). He says that many pitchers on his team pitch in the mid to upper 80's. Although velocity is important, throwing strikes is key, numero uno. Next is movement on the ball. Next is the ability to change speeds and keep the batter off balance. So, don't make velocity the main focus. fyi, my son threw 83mph as a junior, 88 as a senior.

Based upon what he is doing now (he now touches 90), long toss is very important. Also, lower body exercises and conditioning (leg press, leg curls, leg extensions, sprints, stairs). Next, a good, solid core program...not just crunches, but also the sides and lower back. For upper body, it's mostly tricep and wrist strengthening. However, the most important seems to be light weights for the rotator cuff muscles. Remember, it doesn't matter if you can throw 90+ if your body breaks down. And, throwing harder will put more stress on the elbow and shoulder.

Therefore, the conditioning should be for injury prevention. The long toss builds strength which will also add to velocity. But, as I said before, make sure your sons have a good changeup that they can throw for strikes and then a good breaking ball. If your sons get outs, he'll get innings and therefore better exposure.

Good luck.
No need to be sorry CPLZ. It's a perfect program for us, though, who are over here in Korea with no access to trainers and instructors. My son loves it and has moved into the advanced stages. The 'rip' he's getting out of it is quite noticeable, and he's definitely throwing harder this spring (and hitting some shots that he wouldn't have hit last fall).

The only thing I don't like about the product is that the audio in the first segments is not good -- sounds like there was a kids' gym class going on in the background or something.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.