Skip to main content

Over the years I have always been intrigued on how LL, TB and HS coaches based there decisions on who played and who sat. The past few months reading posts on HSBBW,it has become apparent the consensus is talent will trump, skill, desire, etc... Is true talent measured on the practice field or playing the game? The kid who "just looks like a baseball player" who crushes the ball during bp but cannot hit his weight during games usually gets the long look over the kid who hits "lucky" singles for a 350 ba. Every opportunity is extended with the hope "the player" will come around. Does this translate to 25, 50 maybe a 100 ab's before a change is made. This same bias is extended to fielding a position (how's he going to get better without the reps) to a lesser extent. And conversely, not at all to pitching. Especially if the team is deep in pitching, a bad outing pretty much seals your fate. Again this is something I have noticed at the HS level and below.

Five tools has pretty much been the standard for describing a talented ball player. The more tools you had the more talented /value you were to a team, netting opportunities. These are tangible assets. Are intangible assets also assessed? To me five intangible tools would be.

1. Execution
2. Competitiveness.
3. Guile.
4. Resolve.
5. Work ethic.

Most players beyond HS have these qualities and many more are needed to succeed in college and at the pro level. Although names like Rubin Rivera come to mind who was afforded many opportunities in the pro's due to his legit five tangible tools and was run out of MLB only after he stole Derek Jeter's glove.

"Good pitching will beat good hitting and vice versa" Bob Veale
Last edited {1}
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

People see better than they think. And that's true from LL to the pro's.

Back in the LL days, I had two pitchers in particular: The Name (who everybody was afraid of) and The Convert (who was a below-average player until he learned to pitch ---- crafty little devil). Opposing managers would tell me how excited their players would be to miss The Name and face The Convert. I never had the heart to tell them that the stats showed that the opposition hit (and scored) better against The Name. (Side note: Both boys eventually pitched at D1's. The Name could have been a pro, but LSU ate his arm.)

HS play has many factors (probably talent and year at the forefront), but college will have a shadow version of the pro situation. If the guy has a good scholarship, he will be given every opportunity to prove the coach right. The walk on or low dollar guy gets limited chances. In the pros, it goes by bonus. In theory, the higher the draft pick, the better the player and that's often true. Alas, when it's not, the chances remain in his favor to the detriment of a better player.

Looking like a pitcher, catcher, hitter, MIF is often going to be factored in, sometimes overshadowing performance. Coaches and scouts look at the world through their own filters (just like the rest of us). So it goes.
I think there is a great saying. It goes: Who you are is where you were when. We are all so formed by our experiences. Coaches included. The coach at HS/TB/LL is going to like the type of player who in his experiences has been successful.

You could have the same scout rate some player a 50 arm, 60 arm or 40 arm on the 20/80 scale. Same kid, different evaluators. It is all how you define good arm, good pitcher, good runner, good hitter.. etc
quote:
The Name could have been a pro, but LSU ate his arm
But maybe the arm was desroyed in youth ball but the damage didn't show until LSU. Whatever.

At the HS level I have seen time after time where the coach fell in love with a player and just knew he would pop out of the perpetual slump at anytime now. They usually do not.

If you have boards for hands at age 8 you will have boards for hands at age 18. A player doesn't grow in innate ability. A possible exception is where a player is out of position, say playing short stop when he should be in the outfield. Fielding failures negatively impact hitting.

How many times have you seen a HS coach get fooled by a glitzy travel ball player with refined skills but not the innate ability necessary to succeed?

The ability to recognize talent, or lack thereof, is a gift as much as is innate ability. But then again none is so blind as he who will not see.
quote:
Originally posted by Orlando:
People see better than they think. And that's true from LL to the pro's.

Agreed.

You would think since baseball is sooo oriented towards statistics that it would be impossible for a coach not to factor stats into the perception being reality equation.

" Baseball is an island of activity amidst a sea of statistics"
Last edited by dswann
All this is pretty obvious if you know what to look for. Some high school coaches are difference makers. They hear a different music than the rest and refuse to buy into the I don't have enough talent game. If your fortunate to have one he'll make an impact on your son's life no matter how much talent he's blessed with. Many parents resent these guy's because they'll win consistently and it may not be your kid he plays.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.