Skip to main content

quote:
itsinthegame
HSBBWeb Old Timer

Posted January 06, 2008 05:40 PM Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by snowman:
I'm glad that politness hasn't gone out of style.

Snowman - this isnt a tea party.

Alice isnt here.

This is the HSBBWEB - you mess with a young kid - in any way - and you will get hammered. And I will be the first one there waiting to hammer your ***.

I hope that is polite enough.

You spend a good piece of your life gripping a baseball, and in the end it turns out that it was the other way around all the time. ~Jim Bouton, Ball Four, 1970

Posts: 3969 | Location: Huntersville,NC | Registered: December 27, 2002

Please correct me if I'm wrong but legally speaking doesn't the above constitute a threat?
Holy smokes snowman. Let's maintain perspective. He's a 17 year old kid clocked over 100 from right field. That is remarkable and notable, as it has been. He is just beginning his career. He is just beginning to learn a game he appears to be blessed with the ability to excel at. He has no reason to apologize to you or anyone else. Hopefully he will learn quickly, like most players of note, that message boards are fodder for haters like you.
Last edited by Dad04
Snowman, I have read your posts and I understand to a certain extent the questions you are coming up with. Perhaps I might suggest you start a new thread with your questions and doubts and leave this one unhijacked for the time being so that we can stay on topic.

Otherwise, this thread will be closed and I would hate to do that because I enjoy the original subject matter.

If you have any questions, please feel free to pm me.
Thank you.
Last edited by shortstopmom
no snowman

that is not what I perceived from your tactic of

acting like this is no big deal

unless you are a representative of a MLB

organization who will pick in the top wave of picks

in the first round of the 2008 MLB amateur baseball

draft or a representative of the university of MO

then I would understand the your intent of

minimizing

101MPH

from a high school prospect
The response is not uncommon.

My son hits a hr 450 at East Cobb with wood.
Parent in the stands "Yeah but did you see that bunt my son laid down. I bet he cant do that."

Gamers son tracks down a ball in the gap and throws a seed to 3b nailing a runner. "Yeah but did you see that play my son made the other day" I bet he couldnt have made that play."

Midlos son hits 94 and strikes out the side. "Yeah but he doesnt have the command of his change up like my son. He flat out baffles them with his 78 mph heater."

JD's son throws gas and paints during a 7 inning gem at the WWBA. "Yeah hes not that good. My son threw three no hitters in LL when he was 12."

Did you hear about the kid that threw 101 from the outfield at the PG Nationals? "Yeah but thats no big deal. Alot of kids can throw hard. Can he command it?"

Ive got about 5 thousand of these "Yeah buts" if you want to hear them all. Unreal isnt it? All you have to do is go to any game any showcase any ball park and the "Yeah Buts" are always there lerking in the shadows. If you want to hear them start a sentence without starting with "Yeah But" just say something good about their kid.
Well some people are jealous, just a fact of life.

Anyways for the few people who actually research the player in question seems like a good prospect. He was considering DUKE, muts be a real good student so he has many options.

But looks like MLB scouts consider him at better prospect on the mound. Esp if you can reach 94 mph, can throw stikes and has a good hook.
Yeah, 101 is nice, but Jared is still not a 2008 Under Armour Pre-Season All-America. Roll Eyes

quote:
Originally posted by PGStaff:
His throws were very accurate, but so were a lot of other outfielders throws. The unusual thing was the 101 mph. That is very unusual, no matter where the ball ends up...

Once again we have gunned just about every first round high school outfielder in the past 10 years. This was 4 mph more than the previous high. That's all....

From PG's website :
Looking at the results from the first three years of Aflac All Americans selected by Perfect Game USA, here are the totals.

116 total players
29 were selected in the first round
41 were selected in the first two rounds.

I'd bank on PG's assessment. I'll bet Cosart might be visiting the bank this summer, too.
Last edited by infidel_08
A good outfielder with a 100 MPH arm is a good outfielder with a great arm. A good pitcher with a 100 MPH fastball is VERY SPECIAL!! Many rising pitchers are limited (and passed over) by their lack of velocity. Either you have it or you don't. 100 MPH velocity is a gift that only a VERY FEW have been given. Velocity like that will get you lots of things including a lot of money ---- but not necessarily a first round pick. Remember Jason Neighborgall? He was/is a 100 MPH thrower that has been given oportunity after oportunity based primarily on his velocity. You have to hope it will all come together for these gifted few. http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=jp-neighborgall05...&prov=yhoo&type=lgns
quote:
Originally posted by PGStaff:

In the meantime we just call them first rounders or "wealthy" if you prefer.

PG, now that's pretty funny right there! I don't care WHO you are..that's pretty funny!

What's better is...it's true! Way to go kid!

BTW....if anyone noticed..I just became an official member of the "3 digit" post club! hooray for me!
Coach May, I resent that.

HE CAN TOO command his change up!

Smile Smile Smile

Thanks, you made me laugh. I can't tell you how much of that stuff I've heard over the years. We even had a reporter ask my son last summer if he really thought he deserved his AFLAC selection after he missed some starts in the spring season and his good buddy and teammate took the HS team on his shoulders to the state title. Some folks just can't be happy for you, I guess, they have to tear you down. I suppose that reporter is angling for a shot at the Washington Post or something.

But if it makes you feel better, I was at East Cobb the week after you last year, and at that field they were still telling about how your boy put that ball up on the street, about 40' above field level. 450' is modest. I wish I'd seen it!
Bum, Jr. was on Cosart's team at the event. His arm speed was unbelievable. He's the real deal! As for pitching, he was very good and the scouts were practically knocking each other over for viewing points. It looked like a Led Zeppelin concert.

Later, Bum, Jr. said there was a certain buzz in the dugout.. "Who's the kid who hit 101 ??!!" Cosart was extremely humble and 'aw shucks' about it according to my son. So Cosart is not only very, very good but his head is on straight, too.
Last edited by Bum

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.