Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

name of the player and what radar gun ( jugs or stalker)?

Radar gun reported readings are frequently wrong. Good example a few years ago saw a pitcher throw reported 91 mph (JUGS) on web site. Actually threw on stalker gun 87 mph on 80 different stalker radar guns.
They did not mentioned it was JUGS gun he threw 91 mph on.

I heard Adriana Lima taking me to dinner this week, it was from a relible source too.
Here is a reliable source... ME and over 100 scouts including several scouting directors watched Jarred Cosart RHP/OF throw 101 mph from the outfield. Stalker reading, that is the only gun we use and we used two of them on those throws! He was gunned on 3 throws... 98, 99, 101. In 15 years of seeing the best outfield arms in the country, the previous highest reading was 97 mph, thrown by three different outfielders.

Later in the day he pitched an inning, pretty much every pitch 92-93 with some in the crowd getting 94.

Word is that he was up to 97 from the mound a couple weeks ago, but we didn't see that, so can't confirm.

Cosart was an Aflac All American.
quote:
Originally posted by Coach May:
Of course they are throwing as hard as they can. When you are in the outfield and your trying to nail a runner you dont lob it do you? 101 mph regardless of the situation is impressive to say the least. So he takes some off and throws 95 right. Everyone can throw as hard as they can. How many can do what this young man did?

The quick answer to that is no one can. That's faster than any major-leaguer or minor-leaguer from the outfield. I've seen thousands of readings and that is off the charts. I just hope he doesn't tear his UCL. A ligament can only take so much torque. He's probably building up some tears already but they are most likely micro-tears that heal back. Too many micro-tears equals a small tear and a small tear leads to a big tear. I wish this young man all the luck in the world to keep that arm healthy so I can watch him on TV someday.
What did he do besides throw hard? All the posts above are obsessed with the speed and what type of "guns" were used. The Mariners had a guy a few years ago they called the "little unit", was a lefty and had a canon for an arm throwing mid to high 90's. Very impressive. But meaningless.

He never made it to the majors. Arm couldn't take the strain. Perhaps if the focus had been less on power pitching and more on skill he may have been productive.
Last edited by snowman
snowman,

Why are you so insistent on detracting from this discussion...or from the young man's ability? A reliable radar reading of 101 mph for a HS player is very, very rare, and we are all just marveling at this remarkable event. I don't think anyone has posted a prediction that he is guaranteed to become an MLB HOF'er. He is simply a young man who throws the ball very, very hard and appears to have a bright future in baseball.
Last edited by MN-Mom
Pull up his profile and see its on this thread. But I wouldnt worry about what else someone did if they can throw 101 from the outfield and 93 from the hill. And they are 6'3 175. That is called a STUD.

There are just as many kids that cant break glass that can not command as there are hard throwers that cant command.

Speed is important if my son has it. Its over rated if he doesnt.

Velocity is important if my son has it. Command is more important if he doesnt.

Power at the plate is huge if my son has it. OBP is where it is if he does not.

How far does this list really go?
snowman,

I don't really get it either ?!!!!

I've been around the game a while and have never seen a high school kid anywhere accomplish this feat! I don't care whether this kid makes it to the pros or not, someone will roll the dice and give him his chance knowing what they have to work with. I'm simply amazed and would love to see the video.
quote:
By snowman...
Simply looking for balance.

And if asking questions that should be asked is detracting then I'll keep asking.

A player doesn't improve by being told he's good.

I doubt if this kid needs anyone to tell him he has a good arm.

BTW, he pitched one inning, several 93s and a very very sharp curveball. 3 up 3 down!

Listen, originally no one said anything other than the kid threw 101 mph from the outfield. I'm pretty sure every outfielder we have ever had tries to throw it hard and accurate. Why when someone, pitcher or not has an arm like this, people automatically start thinking the throws are not accurate? His throws were very accurate, but so were a lot of other outfielders throws. The unusual thing was the 101 mph. That is very unusual, no matter where the ball ends up.

A couple years ago we had a kid throw 70 across the infield and break a bone in his arm. Maybe he would of been better off playing it safe and keeping those throws in the 55 mph range.

Once again we have gunned just about every first round high school outfielder in the past 10 years. This was 4 mph more than the previous high. That's all.... Players still have to hit, field, run, etc to be a first round pick. If it all depended on radar readings from the outfield this young man would be the first pick of the draft. Besides he is probably a better pitching prospect.

We have seen lots of mid to upper 90 mph pitchers. Maybe they do throw too hard and will blow their arms. In the meantime we just call them first rounders or "wealthy" if you prefer.
I'm glad that politness hasn't gone out of style.

101 is just a number. Just like 95 or 90 or 6'5"" or 240 or 400 or...73. Let's see what he does with it. I hope he's successful. I also hope somebody smart works with him and keeps his head on straight.

I would hope in light of the steroid mess that we understand baseball is more than size, distance and speed.

Ultimately it's about skill.
Snowman,

I've watched Jared Cosart play since he was 13 and his first year in Pony Ball. If there was ever an example of Crash Davis's line "God came down and put a bolt of lightning in that arm" he's it. Whatever he is able to acheive in the game is secondary to the admiration that at his age he's accomplished something rare. All the kids are a work-in-progress and to be respected no matter where they are on the trail to the show.
HOF 1962

What would be the record you're thinking of?

I find it very interesting that when questions are asked that don't fit in with the accepted thought of the day, people get defensive and start attacking. I could jump on the bandwagon and repeat what everyone else is saying and everyone would love me, or I can ask questions in order to continue to learn.
101 MPH...wow!!

Sometimes in life, ya just have to quit thinking so hard, and just stand up and cheer for Pete's sake!

I have no clue how this athlete accomplished this feet. I have no idea how accurate he is, or if he can hit the side of a barn. For the moment, dont think any of that really matters, or if I even care.

The kid was documented by reliable sources to have met this mark, and I for one and gonna stand on my toes and give him a cheer!!!!

101 mph,...to me, that is quite deserving.
Sometimes it just feels good to say " Way to go kid "!!! and not get all wrapped up in doubts and what-if's for the moment.
Last edited by shortstopmom
quote:
Originally posted by snowman:
HOF 1962

What would be the record you're thinking of?

I find it very interesting that when questions are asked that don't fit in with the accepted thought of the day, people get defensive and start attacking. I could jump on the bandwagon and repeat what everyone else is saying and everyone would love me, or I can ask questions in order to continue to learn.

You can do whatever you want to - but if you denigrate - in any way - a young kids accomplishments on this site - you will get cyber-hammered.

Its thats simple. IMO
snowman- "throwing as hard as they canis easy" is where you lost EVERYBODY. Do you want to make yourself feel good? Yes, accuracy is important.

101 MPH is an amazing feat. Not EVERYBODY can do that! The deal is this- You have to have a great arm to make it to the next level. Why? Because you will get lit up on an 85 MPH mistake but a guy might pop up on a 96 MPH mistake. Makes sense?

Once you are there, the velocity is about number 3 or 4 regarding importance of effectiveness. Bottom line- You have to have the pre-requisite to get into the advanced class! BTW- Don't start with a Moyer or Maddox reference. They had it to start and evolved.
HOF 1962

I'm trying my best.

I went back through my posts and I'll be darned if I can find where I knocked, attacked, denegrated or bad mouthed the kid.

What I didn't do was go gaga over 101mph (depending upon which gun was used). I figured everyone else had that covered.

And I do believe I said in a previous post that I hoped he was successful.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.