Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

If you live in NorCal as your profile shows, you should turn that team into the CIF section you’re in because the rules were definitely violated.

CIF Bylaw 1500. PITCHING LIMITATION RULE

Sections shall adopt the following baseball pitching limitation rule: 30 outs and/or three appearances in a calendar week through the season.

A. The calendar week begins on Monday.

B. Innings pitched in a no game (i.e., rainout, power failure, etc.) shall count toward the total.

C. If the 30th out involves a double or triple play, the team will not be penalized.

D. An appearance is defined as a pitcher pitching at least one pitch. If a pitcher is removed from the mound to another position or to the dugout and later returns to pitch in the same game, the pitcher will be charged with a second appearance.

E. Any violation constitutes a forfeit of the contest.

I’m gonna guess that either it wasn’t a HS game played under NFHS rules, or more likely someone was blowing smoke. I’ve been watching HS baseball in Ca for well over 15 years, and I can’t remember anyone stupid enough to get popped for allowing a pitcher to throw more than 30 outs in one game. More than 30 outs in a week happens now and then, but believe me, the entire state takes this rule pretty seriously.

Originally Posted by Stafford:

I do not live in NorCal. No one was blowing smoke as the 11 innings were reported in the local paper.

I was only going by what you put in your profile. So what state are you in? Could you provide a link to the newspaper where it was reported?

Don’t believe everything you read in the paper.

Follow-Up: I "heard" last night that the head coach came over after 7 innings and conferred with the pitcher's dad about him continuing to pitch. I "heard" that the dad said as long as he feels o.k. to let him keep pitching.

This game happened last week and there has been a week-long county tournament going on this week. This pitcher's outing has been the talk of the tournament, and not in a good way.

A few years ago, in the Dallas/Fort Worth area, a coach got ripped a new one and possibly even fired when he kept his pitcher in extra innings, throwing well over 150+ pitches, just so they could win the game. MLB pitchers don't even throw that much. Once you break 100 pitches, it's time to explore your options on other pitchers.

Edit after first post: I'm a varsity coach and can NEVER defend this. I'm not asking his dad ANYTHING! He's out after "X" amount of pitches that is previously talked about before the game.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.