Skip to main content

I was wondering how that number came into being and if it was going to change? I know that some of the more successful baseball programs in the SEC, ACC and other conferences are drawing thousands of fans per game. I also think that D1 baseball games are finding there way onto TV with increasing frequency. Does the revenue generating ability of college baseball factor into the number of college scholarships that are made available?

One more question, last spring Tony Gywnn put together a tournament at Petco Park with LB State, Nebraska, UCLA, USD and of course SDSU. I recall Tony ststing that the proceeds of tournament would amount to approximately $250,000 to SDSU baseball program. Do externally generated funds whether contributions or proceeds from events find there way to students or are they just used for improvements, equipment and to offset expenses? My guess is the later.

Thanks in advance
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Football and basketball having large scholarship numbers I can understand because they are revenue generating sports. But how do sports that are very much regional sports like lacrosse and ice hockey get such large scholarship numbers, while baseball is pretty much played nationwide? Are colleges able to re-allocate those scholarships $$$ to other sports when they do not host one of those particular sports that are more specific to certain regions of the country? You'd be pretty hard pressed to find a high school ice hockey or lacrosse program out here on the west coast, and while there may be a few colleges out here with those sports ... they'd be pretty few and far between. Lacrosse does seem to be expanding in our area over the past few years ... but it's still mostly rec and club teams. Ice Hockey teams exist only on the club level, and they typically play in leagues that can only get ice time very late at night or early in the morning, i.e., 1:00-3:00 AM ... there are very few ice rinks out here.
Another dumb question - do the scholly numbers mean per year (incoming class) or total per active team.

For example, the 11 (rounding down) for baseball, assuming all full rides - if a college brought in 11 full ride players as freshmen and those players continued full rides for 4 years, the college wouldn't be able to offer anything for those 4 years to new players?
pbonesteele

I can answer on hockey a lot and lacrosse a little:

In hockey (my son plays junior hockey), the scholarship numbers are deceiving. A large percentage of the schools in Division I don't give any scholarships (the ECAC in particular) and a lot of those who do don't fully fund their programs. While my family doesn't fit this one, a larger-than-average percentage of players don't need the scholarship (for both academic and financial reasons). Since most kids now play juniors and don't even start college until they're 21, the graduation rate for the sport is pretty high. And, most colleges that have varsity teams own their own facilities and do a good job of filling them with paying spectators, which offsets some of the cost.

Some of those same factors are in place for lacrosse. The financial and academic numbers are similar. And lacrosse teams generate surprising gate income. I seem to remember an NCAA report a few years ago that indicated lacrosse was, on a total expense vs. total revenue basis, the most profitable sport for the D-I schools that play it.
For lacrosse and hockey, it's not as much revenue generating for the athletic dept. as it is the university in general. You have a full-pay student motivated to play the sport who is generally a good bet to graduate.

Lacrosse rosters are about the same size as many baseball rosters and hockey rosters just a little smaller. And the belief is among a lot of college administrators (even if the numbers don't necessarily back it up), lacrosse and hockey players graduate at a higher percentage (at the D-I level) than do baseball players.

So, having lacrosse and hockey teams, especially in the Northeast, is good business for schools.
I guess the solution is to come up with some ideas on how to get 30,000 screaming fans with their faces painted to come to college baseball games and turn the sport into a revenue generator Smile. Then there'd be $$$ to fund more scholarships and attract the interest of college administrators.

At least for most of the colleges and universities out here in CA, attracting enough students to generate tuition revenue isn't a problem ... the problem out here is that we generally have too many students for the college infrastructure we have in place. Admissions standards are going up which makes it harder to get in, and those students that do get in are taking longer to graduate because they can't always get into the classes they need. I think it's becoming more common to take five years to graduate. I'd have to believe that the tuition revenue attributed to student-atheletes is just a drop in the bucket. If a school has 1,000 total student-atheletes out of a total student body of 25,000 ... the tuition of student-atheletes participating in non-revenue sports could easily be replaced by the thousands of qualified applicants that are turned away each year.
Last edited by pbonesteele
understand the logic of all these posts..the thing I don't get is this - 20 scholly's for ROWING??? I know the equipment costs aren't real high, practice facilty use probably isn't too high either - no grounds crew [HAH] - but how much revenue could they generate??? Seems like some sports [i.e. BASEBALL] are taking it on the chin a bit.
Last edited by windmill

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.