Skip to main content

quote:
Originally posted by IEBSBL:
I think another note is this. I have learned from coaching HS and dealing with a son in youth ball that sometimes when you explain something that is being done at a higher level it gets misunderstood and it could lead to problems.

That's absolutely true. However, I can explain how it happens and why it's a good thing. It's pretty straightforward, or at least I believe it's straightforward.
quote:
You don't "land closed" and then start rotating

Look at your video of Manny. That is where most hitters are. There are exceptions to every rule.

I'm not arguing either just protecting the Dad who started this topic from some bad advice that is misleading and I know 100% what it will lead to from experience.

There is a difference in knowing and teaching. I hope you could accept that without arguement.
quote:
Originally posted by shortnquick:
quote:
You don't "land closed" and then start rotating

Look at your video of Manny. That is where most hitters are. There are exceptions to every rule.

I'm not arguing either just protecting the Dad who started this topic from some bad advice that is misleading and I know 100% what it will lead to from experience.

There is a difference in knowing and teaching. I hope you could accept that without arguement.

Manny has an atypically diagonal swing plane, and he does several things most don't.

Yes, there is a difference between knowing and teaching.
You impress yourself a little too much. Stop, listen and learn...just once in a while.

When I show you a video of Ted Williams that disputes your claims, you tell me to speed it up so you can't see it. That's the reason i gave you a video that was slow enough for you to stop.

Knowing what to do and teaching what to do are two different animals.
Last edited by shortnquick
Let me explain why, THIS HITTER, needs to keep his front foot closed more than he is presently doing it from my experience.

He needs to be a bit more stable on the front side to have the rear hip rotate through where we both believe it needs to. So he is just not squishing the bug. Yes some hitters could land a bit open with their foot, but they still have enough strength to hit off that front side. He is unable to get the back side through because the back foot is the only thing helping him stand upright when he swings. I think both of us believe thats not good.

Once he begins to have the front side foot stabalized he will almost immediatley be able to perform the task of the hip action we would like to see.

Im sorry if I have seemed harsh. But I have dealt with this problem alot in instruction. There is certain verbage that just will get a Dad and son more frustrated and other verbage that will put them on the right path.

For a laugh, look at this video of what happens when someone tries to get into the proper hitting stance by attempting to do what they were told, verbatum. Or at least how they heard it and perceived it. Its after the bunt defense.

Proper Stance
Last edited by shortnquick
I'm going a different direction with this.

First, hitting requires constant adjustment. Therefore, I suggest that the goal be to teach your son how to understand what he's doing, why he's doing it, and how to make adjustments. For my son using video has been very helpful. He will look at his swing and make adjustments. Yes, we've been known to look at Pujols on U Tube because my son is very visual. Because he is a visual learner he will only watch his own "bad" swings enough to diagnose what he needs to adjust.

Second, we had to be realistic about whether our son would benefit from professional instruction. For me the answer was easy as I am no help when it comes to hitting, and we were fortunate to be able to afford it. We were also fortunate to find an instructor who says things in a way my son understands.

I cannot tell you how many 3 and 4 hole hitters at 13 are struggling at 15. You are wise to focus on it now.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.