Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I just read that in the (paper) paper. My mind is officially boggled. How in the world do you get off 71 3-point shot attempts - in a college game, not less - much less 108 overall? Who was coaching Grinnell, Paul Westhead?

And "ballhog" is right.... Despite making less than 50% of his FGA, he accounted for 77% of his team's scoring. As it says in the last quote of that article, "his elbow's gotta be sore."
Bored before lunch so I decided to crunch some numbers.

Coming into the game, Faith Baptist College was 0-5 with an average margin of defeat of 30 points. This does not include their 2 exhibition losses that were actually worse. Well one was by 29 and one by 56. So this school of 300+ students isnt known for their basketball skills. But thats alright.

Grinnell was 2-0 with two solid wins coming into the game, so I would hope their coach knew this game would be fairly lopsided. They led 85-46 at half time, so the game was totally safe for Grinnel. Jack Taylor played 36 minutes, while the most any other player got was 15 minutes. But I will give some credit here, 20 different players saw time for Grinnell.

Taylor took 108 out of 136 of their 2 point shots, or about 80%. He took 71 out of 80 3 pointers, which is or about 89%.

Obviously, Jack Taylor is a talented basketball player, and could be playing at a higher level. So he dominated a completely overmatched team.

I have no idea what the old record is but the coach should have yanked him a lot sooner. If he wanted him to get the record, then have him get the record and then pull him. It's Division 3 athletics, with no athletic scholarships. I wouldnt have thought this kind of thing would happen.
I witnessed a Grinnell basketball game last year. Their coach has developed a truly unique style of game which they deploy on the unsuspecting.

They full court press from the start. More of an attempt to dictate fast pace than create turnovers. When they get the ball, its shoot within a 15 second timeframe. Every two minutes he substitutes a fresh 5 into the game. This continues throughout the game, non-stop.

Simply amazing to watch. Really a lot of fun as a spectator and I'm sure great fun for the players.

The coach just got tired of losing playing the traditional way, having the other team beat him with better athletes, so he developed a scheme that has worked for Grinnell.

Defense is optional (kid on other team scored 70+) last night. The goal is just wear down the opponent with the pace and substitutes.
I have mixed emotions on this. Taylor threw up a shot every 20 seconds. That seems impossible. Should it have been allowed? It sure put Grinell college in the national news. The whole country is talking about it. Lots of kids love a run and gun style. Now the whole country knows that Grinell plays that style, maybe more than anyone. This kind of advertisement they got would have cost millions of dollars.

On the other hand, I'm not sure how to look at it from a sportsmanship point of view.
Some interesting takes

http://deadspin.com/5962514/d+...celebrated-by-anyone

http://burnstyler.wordpress.co...-box-score-tells-us/

Gonna add. In the second one, there is a video that you can hear them talking about breaking records during the game, adn even mention the player that ended up breaking the record. They knew they had an inferior opponent, and used last night to get the record.
Last edited by Mizzoubaseball
quote:
Originally posted by zombywoof:
I don't think this player getting enough credit for his feat. What he did in the amount of time he did it in is incredible.

And a player from the other team scored 70 himself..Wow!

Glad you pointed that out Zomby...Here is another take on it from a more academic point of view.

138 points and That's not even the greater achievement

Hope everyone had a Great Thanksgiving!
Last edited by Ryanrod23
Let me chime in here as I coach basketball as well as baseball. I guess you can look at this as a tremendous individual achievement. Problem is, basketball is a team game.

1 - as a coach on the same team I would never allow a player to do this. Up 70 pts or so? Time to get the guys at the bottom of my bench some significant minutes and opportunities.

2 - as a coach on the opposing team I would never allow a player to do this. Adjust your D to make sure this guy isn't taking shots all the time. Run the stuffing out of this kid.

Bottom line (from my perspective): Playing defense in basketball is a matter of pride. Neither team seemed to interested in playing D, which by the way trickles down to youth hoops. Nice individual achievement. But it's a team game.
quote:
Originally posted by soulslam55:
Let me chime in here as I coach basketball as well as baseball. I guess you can look at this as a tremendous individual achievement. Problem is, basketball is a team game.

1 - as a coach on the same team I would never allow a player to do this. Up 70 pts or so? Time to get the guys at the bottom of my bench some significant minutes and opportunities.

2 - as a coach on the opposing team I would never allow a player to do this. Adjust your D to make sure this guy isn't taking shots all the time. Run the stuffing out of this kid.

Bottom line (from my perspective): Playing defense in basketball is a matter of pride. Neither team seemed to interested in playing D, which by the way trickles down to youth hoops. Nice individual achievement. But it's a team game.

You forgot to mention that his TEAM MATES wanted him to keep shooting and kept giving him the ball.This is refreshing in a day when coaches want to micro manage eevrything! This coach went along with the wishes of his team...BRAVO!!
This was an opportunity for a team to gain some free publicity at the benefit of playing the Little Sisters of Mercy. Check out the opposition's website. They probably couldn't beat a good high school team. It's not like the kid was hot. He didn't hit fifty percent of his shots. I don't respect coaches who pick on grossly outclassed inferior opponnents in this manner. To me the equivalent would be a top ranked d1 baseball team pitching their stud against Coppin State for the purpose of trying to get him a perfect game.
Last edited by RJM
quote:
Originally posted by jaggerz:

You forgot to mention that his TEAM MATES wanted him to keep shooting and kept giving him the ball.This is refreshing in a day when coaches want to micro manage eevrything! This coach went along with the wishes of his team...BRAVO!!

That may be true. Or it's the company line. As far as coaches micro-managing? Their job is to coach. I guess you can call that micro-managing if you want.

I didn't mention it because that wasn't my intention. It was my perspective that I was providing. So this individual achievement becomes a footnote in college basketball. It was a tremendous individual achievement. But was it good for the team? Not in my opinion.
quote:
Originally posted by jaggerz:
quote:
Originally posted by soulslam55:

I would say the coach under coached. He didn't tell the players it was wrong to show up an grossly inferior opponent. That bottom seven on the roster should have played the entire second half.
Last edited by RJM

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.