Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Question from a technologically challenged Dad: When people talk about sending a "video" to a coach, for recruitment purposes, what format is best? Do you just mention a link to Facebook , or Youtube, or include a Flashdrive or...?

Ok everyone, stop laughing-at least i didn't mention an 8mm reel!

Would recommend either: 1). Uploading to Youtube and sending coach the link, or 2). Creating the video using iMovie directly on you/your son's iPhone, and then dropping that file into an email to coach.

Let me know if that makes sense!

Headfirst ain't what it used to be....Princeton doesn't attend, for example.  Two ivy schools were there, but they only sent their volunteer assistant coaches.  One followed up to all camp attendees stating that "they watched them play, are Ivy material, and for only $300 you can come play in front of our head coach!"  Probably most of the information above is accurate, but for planning purposes, I would look at different showcase camps. 

Headfirst ain't what it used to be....Princeton doesn't attend, for example.  Two ivy schools were there, but they only sent their volunteer assistant coaches.  One followed up to all camp attendees stating that "they watched them play, are Ivy material, and for only $300 you can come play in front of our head coach!" Probably most of the information above is accurate, but for planning purposes, I would look at different showcase camps.

This information is true. Showball has a deal with all of the Ivy head coaches to only attend their events. Headfirst can be good if you are targeting the D2/3 schools in attendance. My son did Showball this summer and did receive some D1 offers and a ton of D3.

Anyone care to take a guess on how many 2023's who attended Showball this summer committed to an Ivy? I'll make it easier for you... zero. If you are targeting an Ivy your window is open now. By the time summer rolls around they are wrapping their classes up and submitting pre-reads. I will update next summer how many of the 2024's attended Showball this past summer (I guess I could start checking now since there are already a number of commits).

I did speak to a 2023 parent whose son was told they would want him if he did a post-grad and re-class to 2024 or was willing to go through admissions on his own and walk-on. They liked him but their class was full.

Because Ivy coaches are limited in the number of players they bring in each year (6 - 8), every player needs to pass admissions.

We've discussed many times that there is some leeway if the player is exceptional (the actual document detailing this was floating around the internet a while ago); exceptional still needed an ACT 28.

Because of the league rules limiting the number of players admitted, the coach will not offer until he's sure he can get you in (he also can't just drop 13 players on admissions desk and say pick 7); if a kid has the right scores (and the rest of the academic resume), an offer could be made when ACT scores make the hurdle - but not before.  (That said remember Rules 1 and 2.)

One thing I’d add for parents of 2025+ players targeting Ivy, prep for the SAT/ACT and take it before junior year. You might get a qualified score right away but at least have time to take it again until you have a score you like. I imagine it would be stressful chasing a test score into your senior year. A coach told us last weekend he had to cut a kid loose because he couldn’t get his SAT up 10 points. The player was one of their top targets for 2023

Also, if your player passes the pre-read, submits the application by mid-September (per the HC), and the Ivy admissions committee votes to admit in October, they may get a likely letter in October, long before the official admissions letters come out. That can help assuage the unsettled feeling during NLI signing season that goes with the phrase "committed to the admissions process" at X.

My understanding is that likely letters are only issued if the applicant was admitted by the committee in, say, October, but the official notification won't go out for a few months (December).  It is not just a pre-read because the player must have submitted all of the official application materials (all the official essays, letters, transcripts, and scores) AND have been voted as "admit." 

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.