Skip to main content

If we are talking only about 15 y.o. pitchers a 70 MPH fastball is not bad.. perhaps average. So there is nothing to worry about there.

If we are talking about h.s. pitchers in general, I think it is the wrong message to say it is better to throw 70 with command then 80 without, and here's why. What is the point of commanding a 70 mph fastball? If that is top-out speed, or even cruising speed, that is just not fast enough to take you to the next level. Have fun in h.s. because you're done.

Serious pitchers need to be obsessed with velocity. If you want to migrate from h.s. to college you certainly better have it. It is far better for a kid to struggle while learning to control an 85 mph fastball in h.s. than being proud that he can command a 75 mph fastball.

Command is a function of pitcher development, athleticism, and precise mechanics and timing, exactly the qualities which make for a good fastball! Truly not every kid with a strong arm can be a pitcher, because there are other factors--mental make up, presence, temperament--but if you do not have a strong arm you are GUARANTEED not to be a pitcher.

IMHO the key to a strong arm (and fastball), is near-daily long-toss and a great conditioning program. Long toss does three things, it promotes arm health, a consistent arm slot, and arm speed. I would have a kid first focus on this conditioning/long-toss program while simultaneously seeking pitcher instruction from a qualified person.

Be obsessed with velocity!
Bum- Bingo! Throw with intent! I think we need to qualify what an average 15 year old is in relation to baseball. If we are talking about a competitive summer team, I think 70 is low (75 at the low side for a freshman who has upside- D1 prospect). Maybe it's average in everyday high school USA but I'm not sure we are looking at it that way.

There will be people that will come on here and say "my Johnny was throwing only 66 as a frosh and now he's 90". Based on about 25 years of this stuff, that's the exception rather than the rule.
Bum- Based on sending over 250 guys to D1 from our program in the last 15 years, yes, he is the exception. We have about 8 true pitchers on our frosh summer team and my guess is that they all will touch 80. I have seen cases like your sons (even kept a few that I projected) but they are few and far between. Your son is the perfect example of why all young players need to keep working and not listen to anybody who tells them they don't throw hard enough.
There are a lot of very good points made here. I do not disagree about the importance of velocity, but I am cautious not to equate velocity with pitching. All too often I think we get obsessed with the radar gun over actually learning how to pitch.

Note: I am not suggesting the posters above fall into this category. You guys consistently share lots of good thoughts.

From what I keep hearing & reading, a HS player who wants to have the opportunity to compete at the top D1 levels better look like this when he graduates in 2009 to 2012:

RHP -- 6'-2"+, cruising between 88-92, with at least 2 pitches he can throw for strikes.

LHP -- 6'+, cruising at 85+, with at least 2 pitches he can throw for strikes.

I agree that kids who want to pitch need to work on developing strength and velocity. I temper this with the knowledge that every kid will come into his own, in his own time.

My son has friend (RHP) on a National Travel Team he plays for that jumped up to 87-89 this summer as a 15U (2011). He jumped up nearly 10mph between March and July. I don't expect that will continue over the next 2 years. Imagine ... throwing 110 as a HS senior. Smile

My son (LHP) added about 10mph per year from age 12 to 14. Last spring, he was a 14-year old frosh throwing 65-68. It's December, and he is throwing in the mid 70's, and is beginning to add some strength (go hormones!). We expect him to be in the low 80s this spring as a 15U Soph. Being young for his class, we also expect he will continue to get stronger over the next couple of years.

When my son was 12, he worked with a Florida State pitcher at some summer camps. My son was very sensitive to his lack of velocity compared to his peers. This young man encouraged my son to keep working on his then superior mechanics, and told him that his strength would come in time. He relayed how he had always been the slow "crafty" pitcher, until his Jr year in HS when he jumped up from the mid 70s to the high 80s. A strong JR & SR year got him to a JUCO (for grades), and 2 years later he was in the FL State rotation.

My son's teammate is an early bloomer, my son is a late bloomer. Together, they led their team in pitching at the JO's in Jupiter this summer, finishing with almost identical stats -- they just got there in two different ways.

I just want to offer encouragement to other late bloomers, and their parents, that there is a path to follow. Certainly, keep working on developing your strength. Work on honing your mechanics. Learn how to Pitch (not just throw).

Will my son make it to the collegiate level? Don't know but he is working towards that goal. In the mean time, we keep encouraging him to do the best he can with what he's got, and to enjoy the experience of HS and national travel ball.

to all of you who are ahead of us on this road ... thank you for your continued contributions. Those of us navigating the trail behind you are learning a lot from your generosity.
Last edited by southpaw_dad
southpaw-dad, my son is in a similar situation as your although we are a year behind you. He will be 14 throughout his freshman year.July 31st birthday.A few weeks back ,we went to a private tryout for a National Travel team. They worked him from the mound and had a radar gun mounted so it read velocity at the plate. He was at 70-72 the whole time with the fastball. Is this how most velocity reading are taken? He has pitched very little up to this point.Always been behind the plate. We have started to work with a pitching coach to look at the mechanical side of things. Would you guys say that he is on pace velocity wise with the older (15yo)freshman? He is an 8th grader right now.
Last edited by lodi14
quote:
Originally posted by lodi14:
southpaw-dad, my son is in a similar situation as your although we are a year behind you. He will be 14 throughout his freshman year.July 31st birthday.A few weeks back ,we went to a private tryout for a National Travel team. They worked him from the mound and had a radar gun mounted so it read velocity at the plate. He was at 70-72 the whole time with the fastball. Is this how most velocity reading are taken?

If you mean they were standing at the plate with the radar gun pointed at him, I would say yes this is the way it is done the majority of the time.

BTW the readings are out of hand speed, not at the plate (unless they used a Stalker Pro which gives you both readings).
quote:
Originally posted by lodi14:
RobVit was mounted on the wall behind and above the plate. I did notice that when the swung the bat that it would record that also. So my best guess is that it was pointed somewhere near the plate.

Well, I can't really picture in my head if that was setup correctly or not, but this is how you would normally see a pitcher being gunned:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qx5ZRJU10rg

As far as the gun picking up the bat, that is possible. Especially if it hits the ball.
quote:
Originally posted by bballman:
They'd be set up similar to that, but further back. Behind the plate, if not behind the backstop. Generally, the gun will pick up the ball out of the pitchers hand. It could pick the bat as well. It will also pick up the throw back from the catcher.

Depending on how the field is configured, most scouts will sit 30, 50, or more feet pretty much directly behind the catcher. However, the guns they use are sensitive enough that that's not an issue.
lodi -- Many of the other posters to this thread have far more experience than I, but to answer your question, my experience suggests this:

15 yr old Freshman -- low to upper 70's as a general rule; some crack the 80's and can hold it, but not many.

16 yr old Sophomores -- high 70's to high 80's; I know that at the USA Baseball 16's Championships last year, there were a lot of guys throwing in the 80-85 range; far fewer in the 85-90 range; and a rare few going 90+. The Closer for the Championship Team cruised at 94 for his inning (I think he was a young Junior).

17 yr old Juniors -- Mid to high 80's, hopefully by this time they have added a very solid CB, CU, or Slider. Seems like this combo is getting lots of guys into the smaller D1 programs.

Like Bum says ... "be obsessed with velocity" ... and encourage your pitcher to put in the training and the work to maximize his velocity. That said, you also must recognize that every body will have its genetic max, and that you can't go beyond that.

Have your boy train to achieve is genetic maximum, and learn to Pitch, not just throw; and he will have done all he can do.

You also have a PM.
Some kids are born with the ability to throw the baseball very hard. They dont have work at it they are born with it. This is just a fact. I coached a kid from the time he was 7 to the time he left hs. When he was 9 he had a cannon. He was not a hard worker before coming to hs. The summer after his freshman year I took him to a showcase and he was 88 on a stalker. He worked hard when he came to our workouts and he worked hard at practice. But only because we made him. In the off season he rarely did anything other than play games. As a sr he was 90-93 touching 94. He was drafted and is playing minor league ball now.

Some kids are born with great genetics but do not naturally have great velocity. But with refined mechanics and alot of hard work can blossom into tremendous talents. I coached a kid through hs that was a lhp 6'4 170 as a freshman that topped out at 75. He was a tremendous worker who was always wanting more. He graduated at 89-92 at 6'5 195. He is now in the starting rotation with the Texas Rangers and was drafted in the 3rd round by Atlanta.

Some kids are born with average phyical genetics but train very hard and are relentless workers. They start at a young age training in proper throwing mechanics and long toss , work bands , do core work etc etc. They max out their ability and can end up being outstanding players with outstanding velocity. I coached a kid through hs that was 78 as a freshman. 5'10 175. He graduated at 6'0 190 and was 88-91 last year. He is a freshman at NC State and was moved behind the plate. He may get to pitch but I doubt it because he can mash from the left side and will prolly be too valuable at the plate and behind it to move.

So there is no way you can predict what will happen based on where a young player is at. Outside of the kid that is just born with a gift to throw hard there is just no way to tell. And even that kid will reach a time when he will have to work very hard or he will go home.

I have seen guys come into hs throwing 83 and leave throwing 83 as srs. I have seen guys come into hs throwing 75 and leave throwing 93. How hard are they going to work? Genetics? Health? etc etc etc. There is one thing for sure. If you work very hard and you dedicate yourself to being the best you can be you will be the best you could be. Thats all you can ask of a yourself and all you can ask of a player.

From my experience most hs pitchers as freshman are in the 70-75 mph range. The next level as freshman are in that 75-79 range. The next level is in that 80-83 range. And then you have those rare guys that are in the 84 plus range as freshman. But the fact is that kid in the first range can become a better pitcher and throw harder than the kid in the last range. It happens all the time.

I do believe that you can take any kid when he is young and teach him proper throwing mechanics. Teach him how to properly train to throw. If he is dedicated and wants it he will have a very good arm. An arm that is way above the average hs arm. I have seen this happen too many times to believe otherwise. The fact is many want it , but they dont want it bad enough to do what it takes to get it.
quote:
Originally posted by southpaw_dad:
From what I keep hearing & reading, a HS player who wants to have the opportunity to compete at the top D1 levels better look like this when he graduates in 2009 to 2012:

RHP -- 6'-2"+, cruising between 88-92, with at least 2 pitches he can throw for strikes.

LHP -- 6'+, cruising at 85+, with at least 2 pitches he can throw for strikes.

Southpaw Dad, I would like to correct you on a few points. First, forget about height for LHP's if you have velocity. My son is a "height-challenged" LHP and pitches in the Pac-10. In fact, a lot of D1's LOVE smaller lefties because they figure they'll get to keep them four years instead of three. Pros prefer the taller ones, that's true, but my son was drafted and the only way he can get to 6' is by jumping. So drop that rule.

As for righties, few RHP's under 6' are selected D1, but it happens.

Also, your velocity numbers are a bit off. A RHP should be cruising least 87-88 topping 89-90. At 92 as you suggest he would undoubtedly be drafted. A LHP should be 86-87 topping 88-89, although smaller D1's will take 84+. Schools will take some pitchers with a little lower velocity numbers if they project them to gain a few MPH in the fall and winter with a good workout and nutrition program to gain strength. So my numbers could be shaved 1-2 MPH depending upon the circumstances.
Last edited by Bum
Thanks Bum -- I saw the video posted about your son. Most impressive. Congratulations to your son on what he has accomplished so far.

Your numbers are all the more encouraging. The numbers I posted are from what we keep hearing from coaches at camps, and from friends who are attending other camps.

But then we meet guys who are pitching in the ACC, SEC, and PAC-10 and many of then more closely match your numbers. We just met one young man who is a top guy for a top SEC program (a lefty) and he is nowhere near 6', and throws in the low 80's (according to his coach).

It gets very confusing trying to sort out what is real, and what is pushing reality a little.

Thanks to you and Coach May for a couple of very helpful posts.
Last edited by southpaw_dad
Going back to the original poster, don't be awed or intimidated if you see several above average postings on velocity. What draws a lot of parents to this site is their kids are above average. A fifteen year old freshman has three years to get above average. And as Coach May pointed out, some of the above average pitchers won't increase their velocity.

Physical development has an effect on improvement and advancement. My son was far more imposing on the mound as a 5'11" fifteen year old than a 5'4" fourteen year old. His mechanics are much better at 5'11".

Have a plan and follow it. Enjoy the journey.
I've posted this story once before but I thought I'd share again, for those of you concerned about your son's eventual velocity or height. It is the story of little Danny Hererra, a LHP from the University of New Mexico.

While in Las Vegas I called the UNLV pitching coach and recruiter for a chat and he told me about Danny. He had just pitched against UNLV the day before, and dominated them. Danny was 10-0 in his senior year in his conference--the best in D1 baseball. What is interesting about Danny is he is 5'8, 145 lbs, and throws 83-84. Danny eventually was drafted in about the 48th round or so.

In a car ride the day my son was drafted, we were talking about the issue of size and Bum, Jr. remembered the story I told about Danny Hererra. Bum, Jr. said something like, "Well, you told me about Danny Hererra and nothing ever came of him." "No," I responded "You are wrong. The last I heard Danny had made AA."

Curious, I got home, logged onto the internet and pulled up Danny Hererra on the MiLB site. As fate would have it, little Danny Hererra was called up to the Majors that very day!

Danny's story is quite rare, and he obviously has talent that makes up for his lack of size and velocity. In that regard, never stop being obsessed with velocity, as it is most likely the factor that will get to the top. On the other hand, your kid may be the next Danny Hererra.
quote:
Originally posted by southpaw_dad:

It gets very confusing trying to sort out what is real, and what is pushing reality a little.

Southpaw:

1. Remember the "Dad - 7 rule"
2. Very few people have guns and there is lots of guessing going on.
3. As BUM suggested be obsessed with velocity
4. Be equally obsessed with pitching mechanics
5. Work hard, and it will be what it will be

In the FWIW department we were at a very large 24 team HS (18U) tournament last week end and these were the velocities (all from different pitchers) I clocked on my Stalker.

77-79
70-71
79-80 (committed to Cal Poly as OF not as a pitcher)
81-82
79-80
81 mostly 83,84 once each
78-79, (80 2x)
74-75
74-76
81-83, 84,85 a few times (committed to Illinois)
83-84, 85
82-84

It was cold and it was winter ball so you might pick up a few MPH but these are real numbers from some of the best travel teams in the country. (as well as a few HS teams) Someone else posted that at the USA baseball JO tournament there were lots of low 80's kids with a few high 80 and 90's mixed in.
Thanks BOF -- Between you, BUM & Coach May, you are giving us feedback that is more consistent with what we have seen ... if not with what we often hear from Coaches and guys leading camps.

As the Dad of a "soft thrower" (74-77 on Jugs, 15-year old, 2011), who just seems to have a knack for getting people out; it is nice to hear that he is not too far off the mark.
Southpaw dad,

The good news is, your son is not a soft-thrower. As I mentioned Bum, Jr. was 70-72 in freshman ball, then up to 76 by that fall. If your son has good mechanics he can expect big jumps in velocity.. he's right where he needs to be. Keep up the long-toss, and work hard on the conditioning this Winter.
Thanks Bum ...

My little southpaw took learning proper mechanics seriously early, and continues to work hard at this. He earns lots of compliments from coaches on how efficient and repeatable his delivery is, and does a pretty good job of tunneling his pitches.

He is in a top HS program in our area now, and is working his tail off on strength and conditioning. The light is coming on ala the "when did he get serious" thread. He's very young for his class but he is 6'+ and about 185 today. That helps. I expect he'll be 6-3 or 6-4 and 210 by the time he graduates (at age 17).

Thanks to the folks on HSBW we have learned a lot more about good long-toss programs, and he has started doing more LT.

He has big dreams, and I'm just trying to learn all I can to help support him in the pursuit. I really appreciate all your input, and extend our best wishes to Bum Jr. in his collegiate career.
quote:
Be obsessed with velocity!

That's great advice for the kids, and probably describes this dad a bit also.

I have put together spreadsheets for way too many things over the years. When I came across this discussion today, and it reminded me that my son’s velocity is one of those things I’d tracked (though it hadn’t been updated for a year or so).

For what it’s worth, here is a summary of his RHP speeds for the past few years. These velocities are from the summers, since that’s when folks with guns are generally available.

Summer after 7th 13 yo 70 mph
Summer after 8th 14 yo Tennis Elbow – no pitching
Summer after 9th 15 yo 5’10” 150# 80-81 mph
Summer after 10th 16 yo 5’11” 155# 83-85 mph
Summer after 11th 17 yo 5’11” 165# 85-88 mph

This fall (12th grade) son is 18yrs, 5’11” and ~170#. He threw pretty steady upper 80’s with reports he’s touched 90 at a couple different venues.

Son is about an inch taller than dad, so he’s probably gotten all the benefit of the gene pool he’s gonna get. He is working / conditioning hard to get to the 90+ level consistently. I’m pretty confident he can get there during the spring season.

By the way, for those who enjoyed the above discussion of different pitches and what causes them to vary in speed and movement, here is a link to a Hardball Times article I found to be very interesting:

Hardball Times Article

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.