Skip to main content

Now that we have a chance to memorialize your opinions long before the June draft, I thought it would be fun to see who is likely to be drafted in the 1st round from the Chicagoland area...or from the Midwest?

Lots of pundits with opinions to share...

Who and in what round if not the first?

Time to toe the line, fellows...Which of the 95+throwers and 6.2 runners?

---
FYI...

I think that I saw all of Kris Honel's last 7 starts the spring when he was drafted in the 1st round by the White Sox. Cruised 88-92...Saw him top out at 93. Had a great curve ball.

Have also seen Chris Nelson, East Cobb Astros, Matt Bush, San Diego Gamers and Eric Hurley (I think he's from Jacksonville, Fla.)

---

Couldn't find which "old thread"...Someone mentioned a Trey Johnston (Cubs organization)...17 games...hit .185 in limited at bats (81) with 1 hr and 9 rbi.

Last edited {1}
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Well, let's see... I have seen some of the flame throwers alluded too in the Midwest Forum as well as a few of the other position players. Based on my not so expert opinion, I'd have to say we ain't got no local players going anywhere near the first round. That's right, sports fans, no local first rounders, this year! Anyone want to bet? party
originally posted by playhard

"beenther-regarding ross larson whether his best ticket is football vs. baseball i am very confident that it is baseball.he is a kid that one day will throw 95.expecting this spring/summer to start hitting the magic number.great work ethic.if hitting 90 plus has chance to be drafted this june.future-big upside.glad he plays with TOP TIER BASEBALL as well as perinar (poss. to hit 95 this spring/summer),eli the same( 95),shane zegarac 90+,blake anderson 90+,and solid handful of other guys hitting 90+."

Looks like his whole pitching staff will be taken in the first 3 rounds, and after a little minor ball, they should be call ups just in time for the playoffs.

Look out Cubs, Red Sox, and Astros, it looks like Top Tier has the best rotation of you all, and if you don't believe them, they will race you...
Thanks, Chase.

Bases...As Chase suggests, it's Princeton versus McDonald's meal money.

I don't believe anyone is going to draft him because they won't pay him enough not to go to Princeton for 3 years.

If he's good enough and matures mentally, physically and improves his baseball skills, I would suppose he would get drafted out of Princeton after his junior year. If it doesn't happen, as I've said so many times...Not too shabby to have a degree from Princeton in Engineering/Business and then taking on an MBA study program at Harvard or Stanford.

His coach at Princeton, Scott Bradley, thinks that he has a future beyond Princeton, too. I value his opinion a little bit since he has had 5-6 pretty good draft choices in the past few years; and, he is a former major league catcher for 8 seasons.

Last edited {1}
WOW! Finally found a message board where most people know what they are talking about! Been reading for past couple of weeks and, as a part-time scout for the midwest, I can honestly say I am verrryyyy impressed with all of you.

As far as draft goes, Illinois should be represented well in the later rounds. Indiana has a few players that might go earlier. Everything will depend on "signability".

Beenthere...Made right decision with your son. Not only for educational reasons, but being patient for a couple of years will increase his draft position from mid to early rounds. Way to go! Also, love reading your remarks. You never tooted your son's horn unless confronted! That's why I never personally deal with parents (no offense P's) nor would I ever comment on a player publicly, unless I find somebody way off base. Keep up the good work!

As far as Top Tier...lot's of negative comments about coach saying player's are better than what they really are. I happen to like a coach that promote's his players. Not lies, but expresses HIS opinions! That is the only way some of us find out about certain players. If the info is wrong then we will see it for what it is but, at least the coach got our attention.

Finally, since names were mentioned by people other than me (not breaking my own rule) ...Flores v. Williams is like comparing Batman to Superman. I love 'em both! And what about the pitcher with the "Violent Wind-up", I love him even more!!!!! And what about the top 05 shortstops, included were some that I would have not and someone missed the boat on others (especially a sleeper from the south'burbs)!!

Just my opinion
Talent...there is nothing wrong with a coach promoting his players, I think we all agree on that. There is nothing wrong with expressing opinions about players being better than others...we all do it. When a coach constantly puts up numbers on this board that nobody else can really fathom, then it becomes a bit fishy. In another post, you mentioned Chris Rodriquez having 5th round potential. Would you say he is the area's top player? If not, is there somene you think will go higher? I know it is not your policy to name names, but nobody knows who you are anyway, so please, let's hear it.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.