Skip to main content

My son went to a JUCO out of high school. He started and played half of his freshmen year and then he tore his labrum and had a partially torn rotator. He had surgery a year ago and took a medical redshirt this year. He will go back to the JUCO next year.

My question is...can someone explain to me the 2-4 transfer rule. His coach told him that he needed to make sure that he took the right classes next year so he would be eligible to play D1. He said it might be difficult since he will be at a JUCO for three years.

He wants to make sure that he takes the right classes next year, but I don't understand the rule. He was a qualifier out of high school. Any help would be appreciated.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I don't see any general problem specific to transfer in what you wrote. There may be other specific prerequisite requiremnts from the specific school he wants to attend. You won't know that until you check with the college.

Here's the rule i think applies. Also below is a link to the NCAA rules data base. You need to concentrate on chapter 14.

14.5.4 Two-Year College Transfers
14.5.4.1 Qualifier Effective Date: Aug 01, 2003
A transfer student from a two-year college who was a qualifier (per Bylaw 14.3.1.1) is eligible for competition in Division I institutions the first academic year in residence only if the student has spent at least one full-time semester or one full-time quarter in residence at the two-year college (excluding summer sessions), presented a minimum grade-point average of 2.000 (see Bylaw 14.5.4.6.3.2) and satisfactorily completed an average of at least 12-semester or -quarter hours of transferable-degree credit acceptable toward any baccalaureate degree program at the certifying institution for each full-time academic term of attendance at the two-year college. (Revised: 4/24/03 effective 8/1/03; for those students first entering an NCAA institution on a full-time basis on or after 8/1/03)

https://goomer.ncaa.org/wdbctx/lsdbi/LSDBi.LSDBiPackage.SearchBylawsAndDisplayList

hope this helps
mrmom- what I think the coach was talking about "taking the right classes" pertains to how much of your son's degree will be accounted for.
As stated by the NCAA-
"A student/athlete who is entering his third year of collegiate enrollment (and this means YEAR IN SCHOOL not year of play)shall have completed sucessfully at least 40 percent of the course requirements in the student's specific degree program. A student entering his fourth year shall have completed sucessfully at least 60 percent of the course requirements in the student's specific degree program."
So- even if you graduate a JUCO with let's say 60 credits- that doesn't mean all of those will transfer into your SPECIFIC DEGREE. Let's say you took a P.E. class as an elective- that does not transfer into an engineering degree.Even if you have let's say- 6 credits in math classes (basic)for a usiness degree they don't start counting towards a degree until you are up to a Finite Math level. Understand? So- by being at a JUCO for 3 yrs as opposed to 2, you have to have more of the RIGHT credits to count towards your degree.
We were faced with this ourselves. Son's situation- Did not play freshman yr at a D1 (1st yr school/used no eligibility) played at JUCO (2nd yr school/freshman eligibility). Had an amazing JUCO season and was perfectly happy to stay another year at JUCO until this matter was brought to our attention. It would have been academic suicide(Business/ Euntrepenuer Major)for him to stay another year at JUCO.Is now playing at a D1.
Last edited by stickwatcher
This is such a confusing topic. My son is facing 3 years at a JUCO. If they get a degree that is predetermined to be eligible for transfer to an instate school, that will be equivalent to the first two years at the four year school.... does this count? It's hard to get all the courses needed when you need them because of what is offered any given semester. He redshirted his first year so will only be using two years of athletic eligibility. His coach assures him there won't be a problem.
Stickwatcher,

Agree see my initial post regarding the requirements of the specific school. Ofcourse entering any four year from a JC you have to have completed enough requisite classes to qualify for the specific major at that school.

The key for a transfer ballplayer is knowing -- ahead of time what that might be. I submit to you unless you're signed after your first JC year or 2nd red-shirt you won't know this.

The key is your choice of major flexibility and the schools flexibility as well.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.