Skip to main content

With a runner on 1st we bunt and run. Bunt goes down the 1st base line and the pitcher fields and throws to first. We teach that if the 3B charges the lead runner should continue around second to 3B, but the SS is in the baseline and our runner crashes into him and falls down. The defense gets the out at first and throws to second and doubles off our runner. I am screaming for obstruction! When I convene with the PU he claims that his responsibilty is to watch the baseline of the Batter and that the Base ump is watching the play at first. I claim that someone has to be watching the lead runner. Am I right?
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Well, first off, the PU sold his soul to you over his Base guy. That really sucks. I'm disappointed to hear that. They should've got together before saying anything more to you.
Next, the BU has the play at first. The PU should be watching the lead runner since the BU is going to follow the ball to first. It's a sucky situation IMHO. The PU has to watch the first baseman's foot on the bag (potential pulling off) for the out but needs to watch and potentially follow R1 esp. if he's going to try for 3rd.
Bottom line, he should've seen the Obstruction. If he didn't then he cannot call it. I've missed a 3rd baseman trip a runner in Legion ball rounding 3rd because of a play at first (my bad). I confessed to the head coach and apologized AFTER the game.
quote:
Originally posted by Tangents23:
With a runner on 1st we bunt and run. Bunt goes down the 1st base line and the pitcher fields and throws to first. We teach that if the 3B charges the lead runner should continue around second to 3B, but the SS is in the baseline and our runner crashes into him and falls down. The defense gets the out at first and throws to second and doubles off our runner. I am screaming for obstruction! When I convene with the PU he claims that his responsibilty is to watch the baseline of the Batter and that the Base ump is watching the play at first. I claim that someone has to be watching the lead runner. Am I right?

BU has the play at first. After that is settled, he bounces toward the 3rd base cut out.

PU's first responsibility is fair/foul of the bunted ball.

Then he's responsible for an overthrow to first and/or a running lane violation and a possible pulled foot or swipe tag.

Then he needs to see the touch of R2 at third.

PU is a busy guy on this play and this demonstrates one of the compromises (weaknesses) of the two man system.

If you want somebody watching R2 from the get go, get a third ump.
Last edited by Jimmy03
quote:
Originally posted by therefump:

Next, the BU has the play at first. The PU should be watching the lead runner

What about the fair/foul call on the bunt? Running Lane? Possible overthrow? Pulled foot, swipe tag?

If PU is watching the runner, he's not doing his job and he's leaving a huge opening for a sh!tfest.
Last edited by Jimmy03
quote:
Originally posted by Tangents23:
So no one is watching if the lead runner touches 2nd base or for potential obstruction in this scenerio?

Usually, yes. But in this particular scenario we are addressing, there is so much that can happen away from second that in the two man system of compromises, it is very likely, even probale that neither umpire will be able to witness what happened at second.
quote:
Originally posted by TRhit:
Typical umpire talk !!!

If by that you mean addressing proper mechanics and doing our jobs as prescribed and not as simply wished for by coaches with agendas...yes, you are right. Not only typical, but appropriate.

But lets try this exercise, coach. Which responsibilities would you have us give up?

A fair/foul call?
A potential running lane violation.
A pulled foot?
A swipe tag?
Prepared to cover an overthrown?
Obstruction at first?
Safe/out call?

Baseball is best covered with three umpires. Few leagues are willing to pay for that. Thus they get the flawed and compromised two man system.

Some of us take serving the teams seriously enough we pay thousands of dollars to go to proschool to learn the system as best we can. And when we get home, we hear "typical umpire talk."

Fortunately, I know enough coaches who appreciate, study, hard work and dilligent performance and understand mechanics that the few who b!tch out of habit don't bother me.
Last edited by Jimmy03

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.