Skip to main content

Do you guys think that if you are a dedicated catcher, I mean like catching is pretty much your only positon, and your are playing pretty heavy baseball like 6 or 7 days a week, that you should have 2 top quality mitts? I have one, then a really old floppy one, and I am considering buying another one, probably next season, but after I get my car, so that I won't have another blowout during a game like I did this past season. I think it might make my dad mad, he just bought me a brand new mitt, which I really love, but if I buy another one later, he might think I didn't like it or something. Is having two top end mitts, something that is wise and worth investing in.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Adam Carlton,
I think it’s smart to have two catcher’s mitts simply because it takes a period of time to get a catcher’s mitt broken in to where you feel comfortable with it during a game. Break it in during long toss and bull pens and save your already “broken in” mitt for games and then when your game mitt dies, you have a broken in mitt and you start the process all over again. Your dad will understand.
Good Luck
Fungo
Two mitts is essential if you are a full time catcher at high school and above.

We are lucky to be in Nike land. Nike reps keep coming by and dropping equipment on our team. Just this spring they gave (lent?) my son and the other catcher on the varsity a brand new glove to break in, then came back with new shin guards and chest protecter, just when we were getting ready to start replacing all that stuff. They said they would come back with a new face mask, since his personal one broke and he's been using the team's.

The glove is almost game ready.

Nice not to have to lay out the several hundred bucks for all that stuff!
Yeah, ill second the one about same/different sizes, should you have two of the exact same mitts, or should you have like a regular and a smaller or larger one, say for someone with more heat, or a knuckler, not that there are many in high school. I would think they don't have to be exactly the same, unless you love the mitt you have, but they need to be similarly designed, so you can switch back and forth easily. What do yall think?
Fungo hit the nail on the head here as far as Im concerned. We have always done it that way. A primary glove that you catch games with that is broken in and ready to go. Another glove just like the one you catch in games with that you break in in bull pens practice and long toss etc. If your primary glove goes down during a game there is no adjustment needed to a different glove you just go get the newer one.
Me too. I don't care for nike gloves, or nike anything really, but if he wants to give me a free glove, I'll gladly take it.

I found a place, its like a warehouse sporting goods store, and they sell pro preferred gloves for 130 bucks. I am going to go and look, and see if they have any mitts of those or any other models, and get one, but my dad doesn't want me to. He thinks it's a waste to buy another expensive glove (150-250) when I just got a new one about a month ago. I know it is a lot of money, but how can you pass up a deal on such an expensive glove, when it will be used. I also may buy an extra one, and sell it on ebay or something. Making a 50 dollar profit. Even though I just got a new one about a month ago, and I only have that one mitt, is it justified to buy another one, especially at such a good discount?
sorry, but I went there and they were completely sold out of righty gloves, and mitts. If you know any lefties though, they can get an a2000 or a3000 glove for around 70 bucks. Unfortunately they don't have a website that has all of that stuff on it, but its called Larry Black's Sporting Goods, in Dallas Tx, and do a web search, and their phone number will be on a webpage, like a citysearch page, but they don't have any more righty gloves left. Sorry, I couldn't even get there fast enough.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.