Skip to main content

Son is a freshman LHP/OF at a D1 - SEC school and has been given the opportunity to play both this fall.
He does project very well at both positions and was selected as a 1st team 2-way High School All-American selection by Louisville Slugger last year.
He is an excellent student and does his 10 to 12 hours weekly in study hall plus goes to workouts with both groups (another 10 to 12 hours). He says he loves it and is putting himself into a position to play this spring, since there is only 1 returning outfielder.
Dad is not sure what to think, but he is making an outstanding transition to college life. (Makes it a lot easier on Mom and Dad)
Note: the coaches are outstanding and very protective of the players, it is a great atmosphere.

I would like to know your thoughts and experiences for a 2-way player in college.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Son was a 2 way player (C/P) just up the road from you (Auburn). He was the starting catcher as a freshman while being used as a closer. Sophomore year he started as a catcher and used sparingly as a closer until SEC play started and then moved into the rotation as a weekend starting pitcher, some 3B, 1B and the DH but his bat stayed in the lineup. My suggestion is for your son to "postpone" the pitching duties IF possible and IF he has a strong enough bat to keep him in the lineup. This will allow him the opportunity to establish himself as a hitter. These are two VERY BIG " IFs "

Here is a dose of reality.
1. Most 2 way players are recruited as 2 way players but never get the chance to swing a bat.

2. What you want, what I want or what our sons want doesn't normally factor in to how the line up is made out. (as it should be)

What did I think about it? It was lots of fun, hoopla and press coverage about his abilities during those years but also a lot more pressure on him. I did notice his BA dropped when he pitched and during his junior year when he was allowed to catch only, his BA increased significantly. As I look back I "think" being a 2-way player had a negative impact on his overall development as a pro player. Of course I guess the same could be said about his fiancee too. Wink
Fungo
I do wish I had a good outcome to look back on, but time will tell.
Son entered college as a 2 way player, but has not touched his bat in college.
Although he was an excellent hitter, he is also a very good LHP.
And that is what he was drafted as out of HS.
Now that he is going into his senior year as a redshirt senior having spent 2009 on the DL.
He is a LHP and acts like one.
Hook line and sinker.
He has grown into the roll, and I believe that he believes it's the right choice for him.
I myself am still disappointed cause he had a very good bat and could really put a charge on the ball.

But I was given good advice here on the HSBBW.
And that was, ( How good can you become if you concentrate on just one thing??).
Good advice Fungo, It helped me to understand alot. Thanks

EH

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.