Skip to main content

If your Son hopes to play professionally, and is offered scholarships by both a 2 Year Community College with a strong baseball program and a 4 Year D1 school with a strong baseball program, what variables should be considered. Both schools indicate that he will play as a freshman (purely hypothetical) Again, education is important, but the primary goal is to play professionally. For the sake of discussion he is not offered top round money to play pro out of high school.

The Journey Continues!

Last edited {1}
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

If he attends a community college, he can be drafted each June, if he attends a 4 year school he can be drafted after his Jr year.

If the main focus is baseball only, you also have to ask which program can help him develop and does the program have a lot of visibility that gets guys drafted, though if he is good enough they will see him, but if they have a lot of guys they are watching, the more the better.
Anyone else? I know about being drafted after a year or two out of a 2 year school. But am confident that a fair number of players who could opt for this arrangement choose a 4 year university and get drafted after their 3rd year. Is it just school pride, the college experience, the better education...Is there any valid reason to keep yourself off "the market" at a 4 year university that is directly related enhancing the probability of getting a shot at pro ball after 3 years.
Floridafan,
I think Homerun has provided good advice.

If it is a Florida JUCO, you might want to ask if they feed into a larger program as some of them do.

Do not go on the promise (or premise) from anyone that your son will play, he may, but not as a starter. I don't know much about JUCO programs, but at D1 programs very rarely, unless top prospect, do freshman get starts. Not to say that doesn't happen, but something to consider.

If strictly baseball interest, then head to a JUCO, as D1 programs, large or small are not for everyone. You have not mentioned the academics, so I am also assuming his interest is in baseball only.
Thanks TPM,
It was great meeting you in Jupiter. I ask purely from a hypothetical standpoint. My Son's academics are good - A-B average.
I was just trying to figure out why some would commit to a D1 vs JUCO if the end goal was professional play. Your Son decided on a 4 year program, although he intends (would like to) play professionally. Why did you choose a University over JUCO. Was it to be sure he had an education regardless of his baseball prospects?
Some might disagee but generally speaking top 4 year programs have deeper rosters than juco's. Deeper rosters means higher skill levels, more intra team and inter-team competition. Most players are looking for the highest level of competition available, in order to adjust and improve. In amatuer baseball that is generally at top 4-year conferences. jmo
quote:
Originally posted by Dad04:
Some might disagee but generally speaking top 4 year programs have deeper rosters than juco's. Deeper rosters means higher skill levels, more intra team and inter-team competition. Most players are looking for the highest level of competition available, in order to adjust and improve. In amatuer baseball that is generally at top 4-year conferences. jmo

AND..he was going to get a degree!
Last edited by TPM
I guess the degree was a given, in my thoughts. Even All-Stars with degrees (not many) appreciate the fact they have one. Most kids understand the path to a big league career is a long shot, at best for nearly everyone but about 5 players a year. The attrition rate is high.

While it is not a prerequisite to a happy and successful professional life, a degree is helpful and opens doors not available without one.
Intersting thread...

I thought this consideration might fit in as it was something my son was confronted by:

My son, a senior now, will be 17 when he graduates form high school...he's one of the younger kids in his class. He was recruited by a JC coach who, I thought, made a good point to us. The JC coach said that at a 4 year school, my son may find himself competing for playing time against players who may be 23 old, or more(redshirts, etc.). The JC coach was careful to allow that my son MAY be able to complete successfully against the older players, but thought it would be tougher. Whereas, at a JC, he'd more likely be competing against 18-19 year old players, with a significantly greater probablity that he'd see more playing time his freshman year.

That gave my son something more to think about. Possibly, some high school recruits may opt for a JC over a 4-year school because they think it would give them a stronger probability to play earlier in their college careers.
kb

Good post. The coach was right. From the baseball standpoint, the player needs to decide his comfort level with his skill set, his ability to adjust & improve to the prevalent skill level at a particular school. Will he be a starter right away at the 2 year? at the 4 year? Will he ever start at the 4 year?

Going the 2 year route also means you are the new kid twice, if you transfer to a 4-year. Some don't mind but its an adjustment.

Who will you learn more on an d off the field from? The 23 year old or a 19 year old. As a freshman my son had a teammate who was a 6th year senior, married with a kid. He is in proball now.

I am a big advocate of watching the different levels play that are recruiting you. Go to a JUCO game and workout. Go to the 4 year game and workout. Where do you see yourself? If you do the legwork it all is self-evident.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.