Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

infielddad ...

So are you saying that so far, only the names on the list have their "draft number" assigned?

If there are 40-50 rounds, with approx 30 slots per round ... 1,200 - 1,500 players ... the list doesn't look that long to me, so I am guessing some player names just haven't been input.

Wish "bbscout" were around to confirm the info for us but I think he is busy getting ready for the draft ...
Highlandermom,
I agree that Doug would be the source but I think he is "working." My understanding is the players on the list from MLB have been submitted by a team so probably have their number assigned also. There are 51 rounds to the draft. Not all teams pick the full 51 rounds. The A's usually stop well before. Once they do not pick they are done. I am confident more names will be added and am equally confident that some of the players are not correctly categorized by position. Johnny Ash and Brian Hall are both listed as shortstops where neither has played in college.
Hi folks, The listings on the MLB site are just from the scouting bureau. I have turned in many players that are not on the MLB site, but we can draft them, as once I turn them in and our office records them with the commissioner's office, they are ready to be drafted. In fact, I have a few players turned in that I would take in the top 5 rounds that are not listed on the MLB site. On the other hand, there are quite a few players listed on the MLB site that I have not even turned in.........
Last edited by bbscout
As PGStaff said, there are many players who will be drafted that are not listed. The reason for this is that the listed players are from the MLB Scouting Bureau only. Each team will have their own list of players and they won't be posted on the Net. The reports that you see are just the report and opinion of the Scouting Bureau scout from a particular area, and not the report of any of the scouts from the 30 MLB teams.
Scouting is opinions, and my opinion is quite different than some of the scouts who work for the bureau. They don't have to sign players and I do, so I am very particular about who I turn in and what kind of grade I put on him.
bbscout,
Any chance after the draft that you could put together a list of the players that you had ranked much higher or much lower than where they were actually drafted?

I think that would make pretty interesting reading for many of us. It would also be interesting to follow some of those players.
Thanks,
CADad
The MLSB guys are charged with scouting and making their information available to all 30 teams. They give psych tests and eye tests as well as take medical histories of players and make those histories available to all 30 teams. They also identify players and scout them as well. Sometimes a team will request for the mlsb scout to visit a player or scout him as well. They are a tool for the other teams to use in the scouting and draft process.
Big ...

I think the different scouts for the MLBSB do things differently ... our local rep did NOT give my son a psych test or an eye exam. He did one psych test for a specific team way back in the fall or early Jan ... other than that ... do you think it has anything to do with the age of the players? Perhaps the psych test is geared to learning about a player's maturity level. Just a thought ...
That is the way the MLSB was described to me by the local rep here. I am sure that older players have less of a need for the personality tests.

Here is an article from the HSBBW about the MLSB.
interview

Major League Baseball Scouting Bureau
Questions & Answers

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Posted May 24, 1999
Frank Marcos of the Major League Scouting Bureau, recently explained the functions of the Bureau, and revealed what they look for when scouting players.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Question: What's the main purpose of the MLB Scouting Bureau?
Answer: We try to provide the best information on prospects to help clubs make more educated selections in the draft

Question: When was the scouting bureau formed?
Answer: In 1974, ownership developed the idea to centralize scouting. It was not part of the Commissioner's Office. It was an independent group supported by the clubs. In 1985 (Commissioner) Peter Uebberoth brought the Major League Scouting Bureau under the umbrella of the Commissioner's Office

Question::Why was it started?
Answer: Cost was a major issue. It allows the club to get information for a fraction of the price of having two full-time scouts of their own. They're getting a lot more bang for the buck.

Question: How many scouts work for the MLB Scouting Bureau?
Answer: We have 34 full-time scouts and 13 part-time scouts across the United States, Canada and Puerto Rico

Question: How do your scouts rate prospects?
Answer: We have basic generic things that we apply to both pitchers and position players and then we have specific things for position players and pitchers. We grade position players on hitting ability, power, running speed, arm strength and fielding. We use a scale of 2-8 in each category to grade our players and come up with an OFP (Overall Future Potential). A total range of 40-80 covers Major League prospects. We have fringe, average and definite prospect (categories). As the number gets higher, the better the prospect is.
We grade pitchers on fastball, curveball, slider and other (if the pitcher throws a knuckler or split-finger). If the pitcher doesn't throw an "other," he gets graded on the three he throws. But that's when a scout's instincts come into play. If a pitcher only throws two pitches, but the scout sees he has the arm instinct to develop a slider, he will grade him higher. A scout can move a number up if he feels the potential is higher.

The generic qualities that apply to both position players and pitchers are like aggressiveness, instinct, dedication and work ethic

Question: Predicting who will make a good Major League pitcher must be especially difficult
Answer: You can always tell arm strength. We have radar guns for that, but you can't put a radar gun on a player's heart or head. If you had seen Todd Van Poppel, you would have been sure he was a can't miss. But he did. And then sometimes you have overachievers. Orel Hershiser is a great example. Not too many people were high on him

Question: How does somebody become a prospect? How do you decide who to scout?
Answer: Every year our goal is the June draft. After that, we gear up for the summer, when we get a chance to see younger prospects we didn't have time for before the draft (Prior to the draft MLB scouts are busy looking at those eligible for that year's draft). We look at what we call "follows," mostly 15 and 16 year-olds. There are showcase events that have been great for younger kids. They have a chance to compete against the top kids in the country. The more visibility (a kid) has to the scouts, the better.
We develop a follow list by the end of the summer or early the next fall. We have a list of five to six hundred players that are eligible for the 2000 draft. In addition, we'll have lists of players eligible for the 2001 and 2002 drafts. We're always trying to stay ahead.

We also get letters, phone calls, faxes from parents, girlfriends, coaches, agents about players and sometimes it is very valuable information. Some guys are creative. We get videotapes, color shots of their swings. I guess they see it as an investment in their future and are willing to go to that extent.

You can never have too much information. We will pass information on to the scout in the area. We'll also provide players with a list for try-out camps. We have 35 try-out camps in June throughout the country and the clubs hold camps as well. It's a chance for a player who doesn't have the chance to be seen to show what they can do

Question: How do players get in touch with the MLSB?
Answer: They can write to:

Major League Scouting Bureau
3500 Porsche Way
Suite 100
Ontario, CA. 91764
Fax: (909) 980-7794
Phone: (909) 980-1881
Last edited by Bighit15
MA,
In our area because the talent pool is so large, the ML Scout helps to sort out who is eligible and who is not. He also makes it his business to follow many players on a continual basis, starting as early as a players freshman year. He is able to see first hand the players development and many scouts will rely on his assessment.
Our area scout also holds a workshop for players that have potential, visits the showcases, tournaments, etc (I have met up with him on a continual basis this year). I was surprised to find out the scouts here have been watching for years.
My son took a personality test online but I undertand as I stated earlier most teams will not use it due to obvious reaons. Some teams still administer their own tests. if they have questions regarding the players maturity level.
So information here on the HSBBW is correct.
I also know that the MLBSB rep is very interested in the physical condition of the player, especially as it concerns any injuries. We had a request for a medical report on our son for a sore elbow when he was a junior in high school (he is a junior in college now). Actually, it helped a lot since several of the local scouts wanted a copy after it was made available ... and in light of a strained flexor muscle earlier this month, it proved worthwhile because he could document the minor nature of the current soreness. (Added note: he is now throwing without pain or soreness ... good news for all out here, I can tell you ... Wink )

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.