Skip to main content

Here’s mine, even though I’m often guilty of not following it...

1.Don’t be afraid to let your son make decisions.
2.Don’t be afraid to let your son take risks.
3.Don’t be afraid of his struggles.
4.Don't be afraid of "mistakes."
5.Don’t be afraid.

Feel free to add yours.
Last edited {1}
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

1. Don't be afraid to make him clean the bathroom.
2. Don't be afraid to ensure that he closes what he opens, picks up what he drops and turns off what he turns on
3. Don't be afraid to say no if you have any inkling you should.
4. Don't be afraid to set limits and stick to your guns.

Sorry folks, I'm feeling very disciplinary today as these were on my mind just this morning. Enough of the lovey dovey Kumbayah stuff!
Don't be afraid to tell your son that you love him with all your heart.

You never know when you might not be able to say it to him personally again.

This was one of my son's friends that he played ball with from age 10 years old.

Noe was a year younger than my son, and as fine a young man also.

Noe Espinoza

October 12, 1987 to December 30, 2004

Noe passed away on December 30th, 2004. Noe was a 17 year old senior at San Rafael High School where he was a star on both the soc*cer and baseball teams.

Noe was the third of two sons and a daughter born to his mother Rosa and father Jose Louis. Noe is also survived by his brother Louis, sister Deborah, two Grandmothers, Antonia Siguenca and Sandra Reyes, many aunts, uncles, nieces and nephews and a host of friends, all who will miss Noe tremendously.

From the time Noe led his Little League team to a countywide championship at age twelve, it was obvious to all that Noe was a special athlete. Noe started off that year pitching a no hitter and he and his team went on to be the last team from San Rafael to win the Marin County Tournament of Champions. Noe played on countless baseball all-star teams and was expected to anchor the San Rafael High School pitching staff this year.

Published in the Marin Independent Journal on 1/4/2005.

Please say a prayer for the family, they are just devastated.
Last edited by PiC
KellerDad,

Your comment makes me think about some of the attributes of a perfect 'baseball' girlfriend:

- loves the game of baseball.
- knows there's no whining in baseball.
- doesn't ever complain about not enough phone calls, dates, attention, etc.
- will sit through three baseball games in one day without complaining ... even in 120 degree heat.
- just sitting down together to watch a movie on TV after a long day of baseball is still considered "quality time" ... even if he falls asleep.
- is willing to throw wiffle ball BP and won't cry if she gets stung by a come-backer, won't even rub it.
- likes to go for a run.
- likes to lift weights and is willing to spot.
- likes to throw some long-toss.
- knows how to keep a scorebook.
- knows not to "church it up" when he has a bad game.
- likes to cheer loudly.
- knows not to call or talk to him pre-game.
- doesn't wear overtly 'revealing' clothing to games ... knows hormones are hormones and doesn't want to be a distraction.
- doesn't try to compete with his 'passion', but is happy to be a part of it.
- will run get him some 'Subway' food to down between double-headers.
- is content to go out when it works around the baseball 'schedule'.
- doesn't mind getting a little brick-dust and sweat on her from the post-game hug.
- is self assured, independent, and confident so is happy doing her own thing.
- understands that weekday nights are for homework and baseball workouts, weekends are for games, and is ok with whatever free time is left over.
- doesn't complain when he needs to get home from a date by 10PM because he has an 8AM game in the morning ... in fact she's telling HIM he needs to get home.
- and if your son is really, really lucky, the girlfriend has an older brother that played baseball so she has a batting cage in her back yard.

Did I leave anything out?

The good news is that there are very few teenage girls that fit this criteria ... so for now, he focuses on his baseball and hangs out with a several different girls who are "good friends" during his small slices of free time.
Last edited by pbonesteele

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.