Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Dad04,

Exposure is not an issue. This kid played for the East Cobb Astros the past two years. Kid is 6'2", 210lbs, 6.4/60, 88 off the mound the other day, probably 90+ from the OF, hits it a ton, ball comes off a wooden bat faster than many of the top notch MLB players I have seen. The kid has all the skills against the best competition. Kid is also an A/B student, from a great family and great TEAM player. Unlike one or two on this list.

BTW, how's the boy doing so far in this young season? Have you made it to any games yet?
I guess scouting is so subjective and there are more good players than space on the list

quote:
BTW, how's the boy doing so far in this young season? Have you made it to any games yet?

Its a young season and he's got his feet wet, was not surprisingly a little shaky the first start, but the team is 7-0 and loaded, playing well. We were there two weeks ago for opening weekend. They put on a pretty good show.

I like listening on the internet, but that drives his momma crazy with post-baseball-partum depression.
pull_hair
You can't give enough credit to summer travel baseball, showcases, etc. for their roles in making players known. I'll use two examples of Northern CA players that could have made anyone's list of all everything if only they'd played summer baseball on teams that gave them to opportunity to be seen by people that matter. Neither boy played anything other than locally, and one didn't even do that.

Vance Worley plays for McClatchy HS in Sacramento. Before attending an Area Code 6th tool clinic and being invited to tryout for the Area Code Games from that one day workout, almost nobody knew what kind of player Vance was. He went on to play in the Area Code Games, and is now listed as one of the top 05's in the country. This kid has a 93 mph FB and hits a ton. He's considered one of the most underrated players in California and has commited to play at Long Beach State. He's a legitimate two way player. Casey Niemeyer is even more of a story about what some quality exposure can do. Casey plays at a small christian HS in a small farm town. He's 6'8" and throws 92, but he's also a fine basketball player. NOBODY knew who this kid was until he attended, again, an Area Code 6th tool clinic in September of 2003. He was seen, invited to tryout and made the Brewers Area Code team. He threw 7 scoreless in Long Beach and is now listed as one of the top 05's in the country and will be a dual sport athlete at University of the Pacific in basketball and baseball.

If it weren't for the exposure that each of these boys got last summer, almost nobody outside of their local areas whould know anything about them even now. I'm sure there are plenty more quality players around the country very similar to these two fine players.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.