Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Fill in the blank:

- CF - Univ of Md - Top 2 rnds
- RHP - McDonough HS - Top 3 rnds
- RHP - Ga So CC - Top 6 rnds (yet controlled by Padres, so may early sign)
- C - Univ of Md - Top 20 rnds
- LHP - Univ of Md - Top 20 rnds
- LF - Univ of Md - Top 25 rnds
- RF - Univ of Md - Top 30 rnds
- RHP - St. Pauls HS - Top 30 rnds
(unless popped by Balt earlier)
- LHP - DC Metro - draft in control
- LHP - The Hun School (NJ) - top 20 rnds

-------June 6, 2005-------------------
With Day 1 complete, let's look at it so far!

- CF -U of Md - Top 2 rnds
[Actual= 4th rnd)
- RHP -McDonough HS - Top 3 rnds
[Actual = 3rd rnd]
- RHP - Ga So CC - Top 6 rnds (yet controlled by Padres, so may early sign)
[Actual = Day 2 ?)
[Actual = 14 rd & by O's]

Thats 3 out of four....not including who was missed!

Regards
Bear
Last edited by Bear
Ben Sobocinski from McDonough HS (Charles Co.) will likely get drafted. Hes in the upper 80s and plays the middle infield very well. Has above average stuff, but scouts like his effortless delivery the most.

Also, Jon Kale (Thomas Stone HS) who was perhaps the most dominant pitcher in the playoffs last year has gotten several looks recently. He threw between 86-89 with his low 3/4 delivery yesterday (from what I hear), much better than his usual low-mid 80s he threw last year. The amazing thing is he can throw in the 90s from SS. He has the most live arm I have ever seen.

Although he is not eligble for this years draft, you may want to keep an eye on Brandon Short, a 2006 OF/RHP from Chopticon HS. He is currently being coached by Ray Wright and has above average MLB ability in 4 fo the 5 tools. He's been compared closely to Marcus Jones from the Landon School (who I would imagine would get drafted high this year).
Last edited by RHodges
Mdhsbbfn You can continue your skepticism regarding Edie Bach's improvement but I can comfirm that Eddie has be consistantly throwing in the 91-91 MPH range in his fall/winter workouts at the Frozen Ropes Training Center. Eddie is a classic "late-bloomer" as he has discovered that he wants to play baseball at the next level and has dedicated his workouts to improve his game. He has combined CORE strength training, improvement of his mechanics, and a weekly throwing program including weighted ball workouts to increase his velocity. His was throwing in the 78-80 MPH range last January, High School 82-84, and summer season was 84-86 topping out at 88 MPH.
Unfortunately he had some substandard workouts over the summer in front of some top schools, basically 85 mph average speed. These coached wanted to see him again during his HS season and he basically didn't want to wait until spring/summer 05 to sign.
You are correct in the statement that his signing with UMBC is a "steal" for John's program. I would not be suprised if he is one of their top starters next season if his progression continues.
I agree Eddie is a great kid and has worked quite hard to improve himself. Will he get drafted?? That will depend on his HS season.
I just wanted to clarify some points as you have obviously not seen Eddie throw recently and do not have enough recent facts to support your opinion.
The Altholton HS lefty threw Friday and Sun at the 14th Annual Bear Classic held at the Univ of Maryland.

As a HS Sr, the talented lefty is so projectable, only a hand-full of those beating the bushes know about his upside. With left tilt late movement, he actually knows how more so than top three rnds Erbe, yet is not as consistent as St Pauls RHP whose heading to BC.

In August, a Friday afternoon's outing was not as impressive as a Sunday inning. However, the Univ of Maryland Coaches on Friday saw 81-83 w/ little command. On Sunday, the UMBC Coaches saw 85-88 with a pretty good deuce and change. Did Bach get motivated and continue working his tail off in the fall and winter. Heck yes. Is Eddie a steal for Coach J? Don't think so.

Say mdhsbbfan......open it and reinsert...
...Cutting Edge is OTB.

Regards
Bear
Last edited by Bear
lol

quote:
I have seen pitch over the past 6-7 years.

[quote]A lefty throwing 91-92 would have all the top schools after him. Didn't he sign at UMBC? [quote]

[quote] only because so many people throw around erroneous pitching speeds with no basis.
[quote]

[quote] obviously ........do not have enough recent facts to support your opinion.[quote]

[quote] only a hand-full of those beating the bushes know about his upside. [quote]

Left..Left,
Left..Right..Left. (or has the drill been forgotten....already)

24Karm is also OTB

Which part did you not write, or understand?

Regards
Bear
Last edited by Bear
I faced Bach today, After seeing him He is not consistentyl throwing 90, or even in the mid 80's. I play for Wilde LAke and he was prolly throwing in the low 80's. I talked to a friend on Centennial and they said he was throwing high 80's. So he is very talented but still very shaky day to day. I cant wait to face him again at the next level
Wasn't the final tally:

Atholton HS 7
WildLake HS 0

As in notta, shut out, no runs scored.
Wasn't there (but a few part-timers tell me)
Bach was loose, fluid, some command, and touched 89 a few times, sat around 86-87.
The best part was projectibility (which is
the best part, although an art...not a science.)

Regards
Bear "a la artist"
i have learned a very valuable lession. the grass is not always greener on the other side.

i have been hitting 88 this spring and still trying hard to hit 90. my transfer across town this year to the miaa b conference has been the worst. the teams are terrible! most are like jv teams. we are 10-0, big deal. i should have stayed where i was. no one scouts our games and i don't blame them. the good news is i have received offers from local dii jucos.
I am the only person that can make the stament i made about Bach because I went 2-4 against him. I was not saying he is a bad pitcher because he is not. But i wonder if he is only hitting the high 80's and 90's in showcases and practices, Or has he actually been in the 88's and 90's range this season against competition, Bear do you know what the velocity was when he threw the no hitter
Everyone I think it has become somewhat tiresome with the number of postings trying to discredit Eddie Bach. He is a perfect example of an idividual who has basically gone from supsect to prospect withn a very short period of time. He is a hard working kid who deserves to be spoken with words of respect from the member of this board.

If you can reference my earlier post Eddie has increased his velocity from the low to mid 80's to a top of 92. For th eseason he has hit the 90 MPH mark but has been consistantly throwing 87-89.

Eddie has been drawing atention from MLB scouts due to the fact he is a LHP with very good velocity. However, because of his mercurial rise over the past year many scouts and colleges basically wanted "another look". Eddie didn't want to wait for the "highest" bidder per say and committed to UMBC where he felt comfortable. Could he pitch for a more prominant DI program?? Probably Will he get drafted?? That depends due to the inexact science of it all.

Allstar congratulations on hitting 88 mph which is great. However as you indicate by your reference to the MLB draft, a lefty hitting 87-92 is much more of a rareity than a RHP such as yourself. I spoke with a MLB scout who made the comment thaty there were approximately 1.2 million RHP hitting 90 MPH and 250K LHP hitting that mark. Not sure if those are the exact stats but you get my drift as to how hard throwing LHP are desired.

Maybe steal isnt the word to use with Eddie commiting to UMBC but I think you would have to agree that a pitcher with his attributes commiting to them is a recruiting coup.

Brett232 congratulations on your two hits vs Mr. Bach. Eddie was clocked in the 87-88 range by the Orioles in his 1st start vs River Hill. His top against Centennial was 91 MHP on the Jugs gun. Unfortnately it was posted in the SUN that Eddie was in the high 80's by a reporter who did not even posess a radar gun so that is the "rumor" floating about. Maybe he was using velocity indicator similar to yours. I am not sure you are qualified to make a statement on "guestimating" speed, as he was topping at 89 and cruising at 86-87 most of the day in your game. By your estimate he was in the "low 80's.

Lets all give credit where credit is due and stop trying to knock a dedicated athlete who has worked extremely hard to improve his game.

Congrats to ALLStar hitting 88 and hopefully 90 mph one day. Try calling Pat Bocher at Frozen Ropes! With a program similar to Eddie's maybe he can assist you to improve velcity.

Brett232 keep up the good work with the bat many players are discovered when they excell against heavily scouted players. Maybe your performance against Mr. Bach will help you get more notice. Note: After your fine performance at the plate I would be telling anyone who would listen that Eddie was without a doubt hitting 90 MPH against you!!!! LOL Good luck to all this season.
Larry not sure what you are talking about regarding Eddie's mechanics?? Fine tuning would be the words I would use, not "clean up". From all feedback we have received from scouts who have watched him, they love his mechanics and loose arm. Certainly everyone has room to improve to some degree but I do not think that Eddie has any major issues mechanically as you imply.

Even though he has posted great stats this far, Eddie has been limited in what he has been able to do on the mound. He has a very good change up and his curveball has improved to a consistant pitch, but he rarely throws them in games. Why?? Well he basically has not needed to but he also does not have a catcher who is able to handle them on a consistant basis. If anything this has been a a setback in his development much more than any "mechanical cleaning up". As we all know he will need these pitches on the next level and to gain consistancy he needs to be able to throw them in game competition. To this point he has not.
Thank you cutting edge for your comments, You are right when you say that I did not have an accurate reading because I could only guess when I was at the plate. I meant no disrespect to Bach at all, He is a great pitcher who will dominate HoCo for the rest of the season, and throughout college. I also think the numbers you said were insane. I cant believe that ratio from righty to lefty throwing 90! thats amazing
Bear Yes the Monarchs look strong. Just think if Eddie Bach had committed to play with them as well as Glenelg's Jeff Dulaney who unfortunately had Tommy John surgery this spring. To LHP added to Bernie's staff would have made them very strong.
One other thing to note regarding the tournament was that one of Frozen Ropes finest students, Catcher Dan Shillingburg, was mamed tournament MVP after hitting 3 HR and 9 RBI in 5 games. He already has a "pro" arm and his continued improvement will make Coach Rupp quite happy in College Park next year.
ALso Congrats to son Casey!! Saw he pitched a great Game in his initial start for Madison in the Northwoods League!! Give him our best!!! He is another one of our favorite students!!
Hey Booch,

Thanks. I too listen in the Mallards radio.
Except for the pre-Olympic games that I played in 1980 and in front of 3,500, I can't imagine what it feels like to play in front of 6,000 enthusiasts at the "Duck Pond".

However, my pretty bride & I (and Uncle Chubby...woof woof) are heading west in a couple of weeks to meet Casey's host family, try some brockwurst, and check out the "Duck Blind" ...the local watering hole in RF.

OBTW: Casey gets the ball Monday night, and I will be listening in. And yes, Dan will earn his opportunities at Shipley, next fall!

And yes, Frozen Ropes is a favorite of ours too!
In fact, the readers of this web have NO clue what they are missing!

cheers
Bear
Last edited by Bear
quote:
Originally posted by John:
quote:
-------June 6, 2005-------------------
With Day 1 complete, let's look at it so far!

- CF U of Md-Top 2 rnds [Actual= 4th rnd)

- RHP McDonough HS-Top 3 rnds [Actual = 3rd rnd]

[Actual = 14 rd & by O's]

Thats 3 out of four....not including who was missed!

Regards
Bear

Actually, Johnson went in round 13 to the Dodgers.

Hey John.....Can't wait to see your 2006 draft picks at the end of May 2006!
Congrats to Joe Klein (Patuxent HS) and Enrique Garcia (Chopticon HS) both from the Southern Md. Baseball Conf. in being drafted. Klein will likely opt to keep his committment to Del Tech. CC while Garcia will likely sign with the Sox.

On a side note, former Hoosier RHP and SMAC alum Nick Vitielliss has been in talks with a few pro teams in signing as a free agent. But again, this is just talk. Good luck to Nick in whatever he pursues.

Congrats again to Klein and Garcia.
Although not drafted, Congratulations to two local players; Joe Michalski of Mt Hebron HS & George Washington University and Jason Maxey of Hammond HS & Towson University who have signed free agent contracts with the Baltimore Orioles. Both are expected to start at Aberdeen.

Frozen Ropes is happy to announce that Joe will be once again be training with us during the offseason and will begin instructing as well.

Good luck to both!!

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.