Skip to main content

The Marcus Baseball Booster Club will be hosting the 2nd annual Rusty Draper Memorial Baseball Classic, "The Heart of a Champion" at Marcus HS on 10/29-30. Once again, this will be a Varsity level tournament and limited to 6 teams so that we can start and finish this over a 2 day (Sat/Sun) time frame.

Last year's tournament had the following participants:

FM Jags
Lewisville Farmers
The Colony Cougars
The North Texas Wrangers
Marcus Red Varsity
Marcus Black Varsity

Fee: $450 (plus 2 game balls per game played)
3 Game Gtd.

Like last year a donation from the money raised during this tournament will be made to the Draper Family Scholorship Fund. Coach Draper was a former Baseball and Golf Coach at Marcus High School and tragically lost his life to a heart attack last fall. Coach Draper leaves behind a wife and 3 daughters.

We expect this tournament to fill fast and hope that we can count you in. For additional information please contact me via PM.
Last edited {1}
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Right now:

-Marcus Varsity Red
-Lewisville HS Varsity
-The Colony HS Varsity
-Flower Mound HS
-Marcus Varsity Silver*
OPEN SLOT

*the program at Marcus has 2 Varsity Fall teams, 1 JV Fall team and 4 Freshman Teams (54 Freshman)....both Varsity teams will play in this tourney.

We just did a major renovation to our infield and it is ready for this tourney...

Interest, thus far, has been from several other Varsity programs and will update when firm.

This tournament is also open to any Select Team that competes on the Varsity level, so if you are interested PM me.
Last edited by oldbat-never
-NEW INFIELD WILL BE READY FOR THE TOURNAMENT-

KD,

Yes, it does look a lot like an LISD Classic, in fact all these teams played last year and continue to support this tournament because:

-Coach Draper was well known/liked in our district

-tournament makes a donation to the Coach Draper Family Educational Fund

-tournament attracts competitive teams

-well run tournament (Booster Club is key on this)

And we are still looking for 1 more team...............
Last edited by oldbat-never
NEED 1 MORE TEAM:

Flower Mound HS has just informed me they have a conflict so they will not be playing in our tourney so we need a team to fill this slot.

On Friday, I contacted 18 local colleges/juco's regarding this tourney (and the field of teams)and how it is a great opportunity to view the local HS Varsity level talent. If your team is interested this exposure eliminat is an added benefit in addition to:

-Great Competition
-Wonderful Field (just played on our new infield this weekend and as the players put it "it was sweet......."
-Great way to finish out the Fall Season.

PM me for more information.
Yes, we wrapped up the fall last weekend just before early darkness becomes a part of our winter. Our fall was relatively uneventful - but eye-opening in terms of what the team needs to be successful in the spring <-- one of the main purposes for a fall season. Many of our older guys showcased on Saturdays and joined the HS team on Sundays. At least one of our seniors will commit during the early signing period. We scrimmaged the Coppell team several times with no umps and not much intensity -- that's a good group of kids. They should make a splash in the next few years.

As for the Panthers, the plan is to sneak into the district schedule -- under the radar -- and see what happens. Smile
sounds like a productive/effective fall for you guys.....sometimes I think Fall season can be summed up in the phrase "the good, the bad and the ugly" and now we enter the dreaded time of regrouping, retooling and come tryout time removing... Frown can't you tell I hate this time before tryouts.........makes me oh so crazy because it isn't only for one's own son but for all the boys we have spent years playing with and against........

Hope Mike didn't keep any notes from this past summer that could be used against us Big Grin.......

Have a great holiday season and hope to see you in the spring!!!!!!
I am so pleased to report that the Marcus Baseball Booster Club has been able to donate over $4,000 during these past 2 years to the Draper Family Educational Fund.

This donation is a direct result of our annual tournament, Heart of a Champion, and the support we have received from our baseball community and from the teams that have participated these last 2 years:

Marcus HS
The Colony
Lewisville HS
Richardson HS
Hebron
FMHS

THANK YOU for your support.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.