Skip to main content

Of course we are well aware of the secret "RickStep" is referring to.

At the appropriate time we will release the information. Right now the situation is being considered by the NCAA. Until an official ruling is made, the release of alternate plans is inappropriate.

Please, let me say this...

I don't agree with airlines charging large amounts of money to change flights. I know the people in West Palm are working hard and have assured us that they will find lodging for everyone. We know there could be some added costs and/or a change of plans for players and parents. We fully understand and we appreciate the sacrifices people are making. We have the utmost respect for the many people who are making the necessary adjustments.

That said, we (PG) have well over 100 flights that need to be changed. The changes in plans will cost us a very large amount of money and wasted effort. More importantly, it will cost us a lot of time. Much of the previous preparations and costs, go out the window and three additional weeks of having hundreds of people work on the event have been added. We are not crying… just trying to make a point that this problem in fact belongs to all of us.

Most importantly, and unbelievable, is how hard those in West Palm Beach and Jupiter are working to help make all the necessary adjustments. Perhaps, as all of us think about how difficult this situation is for ourselves, we stop to think about those people down there in South Florida trying to help us. Our sacrifices are extremely small compared to what they just went through and are still going through!

Their concern over our tournament amazes me. And I have yet to hear them complain about their own situation. We should all agree that the biggest loss and most aggravation belongs to them.

We plan to do everything possible to make this years Championship better than ever! The “surprise” is going to be part of accomplishing that goal.
The college coaches being able to attend is going to have a HUGE factor on whether or not my son attends,as well. On top of missing 3 days of class, with all the make up work associated, he will also be missing 4 days of basketball practice a week before they start their season ( if his coach even ok's him to miss) So without the college coaches being there and him being an 07 grad it is going to be tough to justify all the negatives he'll put himself through just to play a few more games this season.
I certainly understand some people’s major motive is the D1 college coaches. That is why we are going to go to great lengths to insure college involvement. We are working on that.

However, I must take exception to thinking without DI coaches all that is left is just playing a few more games.

That is unless you are used to playing games with 300 Major League Scouts and pretty much all the big agents in the business against the top competition in the country. Not to mention our staff who reports to every Major College. Surely that might better some players options!

Once again, please understand that there is a very close relationship between MLB scouts, Perfect Game and Div I College coaches. We actually talk to each other!

We are not at liberty to announce plans yet. But we believe this year might create the most interest ever from college coaches coast to coast. Sometimes great things happen when adjustments become necessary.

We are expecting all players to be there in November. If any “rostered” player is not going to be there, they should notify us ASAP. That is much more important than posting on a messageboard. People can email me direct with questions, I will try to respond, but I do get lots of email. - pgjerry@qwest.net

Thank you
In my previous post I mentioned "to play a few more games" which after I reread it doesn't sound the way I intended it. I and my son realize the importance of these games at what is considered the premier scouting event in the world. I was thinking more of the negative impact it going to have with his basketball coach, who has released him to go but not without consequence,and the 3 days of schoolwork to catch up on. The previous dates fell on our fall break and before baketball practice officially began. As the #2 ranked student in his class, missing 3 days of AP classes is going to take a lot of extra work at a time when his schedule is at it's fullest with basketball and the winter baseball program he maintains during basketball season. We have been discussing this since the tournament dates have been changed and will make a final decision on the pros and cons this weekend. We value the importance of attending an event as high profile as this but cannot forget that there is an awful lot of academic money available for students who happen to be pretty good baseball players as well.
We will be there, come H*LL or High Water, opps, they already had that. My son has been looking forward to this for about 9 months since being asked to play on his showcase team.
Yes, the situation with College coaches as it stands right now is unfortunate. And the 06's may or may not suffer from it. (But lets think about the 05's who's colleges have been shut down or wiped out due to Katrina). We can handle the little inconvenience of Wilma.
PG doing a great job, best that they can do under the circustances.
Questions: I have downloaded the NCAA D1, D2 Coaches Recruiting Guides, and I do not fully understand what its saying. With all the reg's, it seems very diffcult for a college to recruit someone on a normal day.
So whether or not the NCAA allows coaches to attend, what would that mean? Can they contact a prospect or not? Can they talk to a prospect or not? Can they invite a prospect to visit or not? Can they do anything up until the spring? or just invite prospects to camps?
My son has recieved an offer from a D2 school and has a couple of pokers in the fire. So does he jump on an offer or wait? I don't think the D2 school will wait until the spring for a commitment.
Thanks, any claification on the rules would be appreciated.
I hope this comes out in the spirit in which it’s intended.

This is zero, zip, nada, and in no way a slam on ANY other specific college, division, whether JUCO, NAIA, DII, DIII or any DI that’s not in the top tier of schools.

That said, academic money is available at most of the top baseball schools. If your son is good enough and has the ability to play at just about any school, and baseball is one of the major decision makers, why wouldn’t one attend an event that has the possibility of garnering greater attention and possible offers? From my experience I haven't seen too many players get better by playing down.

I realize players are drafted from all divisions, however almost anyone who has done any research at all knows where the majority of players (especially in the top rounds) are drafted from (not including HS). I’m also aware that the most important ingredient in choosing a school is “fit”. How do you know if the “fit” is wrong if you haven’t been exposed to all the possible opportunities out there?

One definitely needs to weigh all the pro’s and con’s. Just don’t limit the possibilities.

JMHO and no, I don't work for PG. Big Grin
Last edited by FrankF
TR,

Thanks and thanks for hanging in there and the trust.

Only bad news is we have been notified that 3 teams have dropped out. One of those is the Dominican Team. They had a most valid reason due to visa concerns for many players. However, there 5 top prospects are staying in the states and will now be playing on a different team. Makes this team one of the best in the tournament. They were very good to begin with and you add 5 of the very best prospects from the Dominican to there roster. One of these prospects is the son of former Big League pitcher Joaquin Andujar. Son Chris is a 6-2/180 pitcher who throws "real" hard!
Itsinthegame,

You will be able to watch! It's going to be a beast of a job involving ridiculous man hours, but it just may be the beggining of great new oppotunities for players. It's certainly going to be a scouting and recruiting revolution, being able to evaluate every player at not just one of the fields at a time, but all of them...from the office, home, or in an airport...wherever there's a hotspot.

I'm in the lab now working with Skillshow and Perfect Game to make sure that everything is as college coach/scout friendly as possible.

I'm not going to sleep much for the next two months, so if you can, get some shuteye for me. See you guys in Jupitor...oh, and we got another surprise too...wait until you see our highlight reporter!!!

Rick
http://www.prospectmovie.com
the ny/sf bandit stars did pick up the dominican
players along with a few that they already had
from before.however,i would like to think that
there are many great teams and players that will
be just as good if not better than the bandits.
besides,the bandits are there to showcase kids,
for pro and college,winning is secondary.
last years group[zeid,weglarz,graham,allen,etc.]
all went d1 or signed but went only 3-1.this years group is just about all d1 committed but
the tournament is so good that it provides a
stage which projects some for an early entry to the pro level.
we have some great players and we will be super
competitive but i doubt we will win the event.
i am a big p.g.fan and this event will provide
exposure for these and other top players that
money can't buy.the winning and losing does'nt
mean squat.
over the past years p.g.and this tournament has
helped a tremendous amount of players who i have
been lucky enough to be involved with.kids that have gone on to play big time college baseball,
gone on to play pro ball and received a lot of
money.i've had kids like mike morse,devin ivani,
eric san pedro,estee harris,david austin,ian
desmond,david adams,bryan schultz,robert cuello,
robert vallido,sean rodriguez and many,many more

the baseball community should pull together to
make this event stronger,not run when things get
tough.

thank you
WOW...with the latest PG annoucement the event seems like it will be BETTER than before. MORE D1 coaches will be able to look at MORE kids through the addition of game video. The coaches know that the video they see is NOT edited video done by or for Dad to make his son look good. What the coaches will see is real game action good or bad. You just won't be able to keep from noticing a player that does well.

All the other good things about the event will still be there. The talent, the scouts, the other colleges except for D1, the competition, and the high quality venue remain important inducements to be there. The video is an OVERWHELMING addition to an already GREAT plan!

I sure look forward to seeing the action as the best players nationwide (as well and international) show what they can do.
J563,

Plans are to have highlights and interviews that will be free viewing. The games themself could require a membership and a fee.

We are committed to make the fee as reasonable as possible. Akamia is the streaming provider and as some may know it is very expensive. They are the same organization that does the Major League games on mlb.com

Our hopes are to break even on the streaming cost. Of course there's also the cost of many extra cameras and cameramen. Then there is the cost of production, capturing, editing, etc. We are willing to absorb those costs and they are significant.

You are correct, it not only looks to cost quite a bit, it WILL cost a lot! I'd like to think of it more than just going an extra mile even if we have to charge a small fee. We have talked to many scouts and college coaches who would gladly pay much more than whatever it is we decide to charge.
My name is Cody Clinton... I'm a 6'1/210lb 2006 CF/OF from Boca Raton, FL and I'm looking for a team to play for in the World Wood Bat Tournament in Jupiter this week...

Last season I led Palm Beach County large schools in hits and finished second in average (.505). I had 3 home runs, led the county with 17 doubles, and drove in 28 with 29 runs scored in the 3 hole and clean-up. Struck out 7 times in 105 plate appearances. Had 10 stolen bases (7.1 60-yard). I also had 10 outfield assists. I was the only junior to make First-Team All-County in Palm Beach County last season. I was also named Second-Team All-State.

I believe I have the ability to step on any team and make an imediate impact. If you are interested in contacting me for this tournament, please e-mail me at thisbadday@aol.com

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.