Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Not only does oak forest have promising seniors in the line up and a outstanding pitching staff. The juniors had a great sophmore year racking up wins against big schools such as richards,andrew,lockport,tf south. The won conference and have promising youth. I think there will be one or two suprises in the lineup.
-Ryan Gorney
-Brian Bajer (moved up)
-Mike Ventrella
-John Koz (moved up)
-Robert West as a strong pitcher
why does evryone feel compelled to choose a suburb school. They dont win it every year. There are teams from Peoria, Rockford, and western Illinois that can compete. As an example, Moline made it to the Supersectionals last year and has done nothing but improved from last year to this year. Some of the picks you made are in the same regional, not evryone can make it from the Chicago area.
mhsballer,
Maybe because it's a proven area with better players, and better teams.
Sandburg has abou a handful of players who are eleigible to compete Division I next fall.
Andrew has 3 guys who could do the same.
St.Rita legitmetly has a DI player in Dispensa, and Weyer.
Lockport, Eddie Krupa has commited DII.
Oak Forest has 4 Seniors who are being heavily recruited.
I rest my case
A proven 'area'? How are the suburbs an 'area' when their high schools account for over 70% of the baseball teams in Illinois. Better players? I dont think so. Sure, there is more talent produced from the suburbs. But that is because there are so many more to choose from. I'm sure if you had a per capita statistic you would find different results. My team (moline), has a signed d-1 player, a junior and a sophomore who will easily go d-1, and 3 or 4 seniors that will be playing college ball. Don't get cocky on me. I'm just asking for people to give other teams a chance and quit being so close minded.
MHS...I think that just as you may not be familiar with the programs of some schools in the Chicago area, many from here don't know much about your area or other areas considered to be "downstate." I can't remember if a team from your Western Big 6 Conference has ever won a state championship in baseball, but I don't think so, and there are some individual schools around here who have won multiple times and have been to the finals many times. That doesn't mean there aren't good players or teams from that area, and I saw some pretty good Rock Island teams come to play us in Barrington when my older son played there in the late 90's. I also know that Rock Island put together some good Legion teams as well. We saw your Moline team in the supers last spring and they looked young (the fact that they had to face Eric Marshall didn't help.) If you continue to hang around this site you will lern about others as they will about you.....it's not lack of respect msot of the time.
I realize your point. I'm not saying western Illinois is a better area than the suburbs, because it is far and away from that achievement. I just wanted to make a point that in this one instance on this forum, there were absolutely no mentioning of other teams besides Chicago/suburb schools being in contention. And I just wanted to say that is not true. There are quality teams whether it be in my area or Rockford, Springfield, down state, or Peoria (bartonville last year). The WB6 has gotten much better over the years in baseball. 7 out of the last 15 years a WB6 team has been a state representative.
P.S.- we have had a state champion.
Maybe not since the two class system, but some schools have won more than one overall. I was jsut making the point that the Quad Cities area although being a baseball hotbed has never won a championship....at least since 1940. MHS didn't think that the WB6 got enough respect from posters here and I noted that they hadn't won a championship (I was wrong, Galesburg who is not a part of the Quad Cities did win)and if they did people would know mroe about them.
Last edited by FastballDad
Galesburg is not part of the Quad Cities no. but they are a member of WB6.

In reference to an earlier post about players signing D1. Big 6 has two this year (Kirk Clark - WIU and Andrew Doyle Oklahoma). Moline has a junior and a sophomore that more than likely will sign D1 (James Hoyt and Seth Hood) , and Alleman has a junior and senior that will more than likely sign D1 (Noah Wethington and Elliot Kelso).

I think that the WB6 does deserve some more respect, but they wont get it from here mainly because the people on this board aren't from around here. There are 3 or 4. I dont think it has anything to do with you thinking we're not as good as you. Its more a matter of they just havent seen us play a lot. Big 6 has two schools in the sweet 16 last year. (Moline super sectionals. Alleman quarterfinals).
quote:
Originally posted by IHSABaseball1:
mhsballer,
Maybe because it's a proven area with better players, and better teams.

We don't have any talent down here and little tradition. However, we have held our own against northern teams including some of those mentioned in this thread. (Not bragging and would never do so. Just don't like the slight!)
Mistadontplay, sounds like the Lincoln Tournament is really going to be something this year. Whitney Young at the top of their game and with pitching. Posters have posted so much on how good Oak Forest is going to be. Tinley Park Andrew will again be good. Lincoln has a D-1 SS and many returners from last year. Seems like this is going to be a tough row to hoe for the Knights!
Last edited by CoachB25
Another top team for AA is Moline with there bats winning in there sectional 15-5 last year. Losing only 2 starters. Also they have one of the deepest staffs in the state. There five or six could be conference starters for the other teams in their conference. They have key players in a D-1 signee Kirk Clark (IF/RHP), an upcoming sophomore standout Seth Hood, and one of the best power hitters in Illinois, junior James Hoyt. With few weaknesses in the lineup, the field, or the staff, you can watch out for Moline to be a representative deep in the playoffs.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.