Skip to main content

Word on the 2006 or 2007 draft is that it will be in late June and preceded by a combine of prospects that will include workouts, medical, and psychological evaluations. The draft will also be cut down to 25-30 rounds.

If all this is true, it will be interesting to see how this affects high school and JUCO draftees compared to four year colleges.

MLB might also dissolve the Appalachian League, Gulf Coast League and one other Rookie ball league.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/news/051118minorchanges.html

Goin' Deep With Jimmie Lee Solomon
By Alan Schwarz
November 18, 2005

The proposed changes to minor league baseball and the draft, including eliminating the complex leagues and moving the draft to the end of June, will not happen until 2007 at the earliest.

Major League Baseball executive vice president Jimmie Lee Solomon said the commissioner’s office wants to do more to explain the purpose of the changes and answer questions for those who do not support all of the measures. While MLB has enough support to approve the changes, Solomon said officials want to follow commissioner Bud Selig’s usual practice of building a broad consensus.

For a complete look at Solomon’s perspective on the changes, here’s Alan Schwarz’ interview with Solomon.

Ever since word started filtering out over the summer, Major League Baseball’s proposed changes to the lower levels of player development have been kept curiously quiet. From the shifting of the draft to the end of June to the elimination of the complex leagues, from a defined bonus structure and signing date to longer, mandatory instructional leagues, almost no executive has been willing to speak openly about the situation.

Not surprisingly, the changes were among the most hotly debated topics at the recent general managers meetings in Indian Wells, Calif. On the meetings’ final day, Jimmie Lee Solomon, MLB’s top executive in charge of the situation, sat down for his first extended interview about what might become the most significant alterations to player development in decades.

Click the link for the full article.
The most interesting aspect of this is the signing of an 07 contract but being forced to be at instructional league for 06. Extended at that. Players don't get paid for instructional league. They lose a year of time toward free agency. What are the NCAA ramifications. Could a kid sign a contract, go to instructional league, get cut and still retain his eligibility? He hasn't been paid. If he agrees to defer any bonus at least. What if the player gets hurt. And the only real difference is that the clubs get that extra year. Will allow clubs like Cleveland, Pittsburgh and Tampa Bay to get another year of league minimums out of their superstars before they reach free agency and go to another club. They will still play games at the complexes against other clubs. This will make it very difficult to sign high school kids and those late round picks who have an issue (injury, agents, etc.). It would be interesting to see who dislikes the idea. I guarantee one of the clubs is Atlanta. They have a great farm system and draft a lot of high school kids. 14 division champions. Maybe the league needs to copy what they do. Just paranoid I guess there appears to be more to this than is being explained.
It may not be "real baseball" for the reasons you state but what it is, is a chance for young players who are away from home for the first time a chance to learn to take care of themselves, get detailed instructions on their craft without the pressure of travel and winning. Also puts the rehab people and facilities in very close proximity. A little tough to rehab if your travelling all over the country in a bus. As far as the money goes, who is going to sign for meal money for a whole summer? And let the clubs be honest and just say it is now seven years to you get your free agency. As always, it is about the money. Slotting, smaller drafts, no complex ball, less high school players, less money into the major league scholarship program and the extra year before free agency. Alot of unemployed scouts, coaches and players, just to save a buck. Meanwhile they haven't addressed the problem. The Yankees have spent close to One billion dollars in major league salary the last five years with nothing to show for it while Pittsburg may have spent less than 200 million. Try revenue sharing and see if budgets are a little more flexible. The person bearing the brunt would be the players. Meanwhile the NCAA will do nothing to increase scholarships and programs.
DELDAD

The players in the complex leagues DO NOT take care of themselves. Everything is done for them. They are gotten out of bed by a trainer each morning from a HOTEL ROOM bed. They are bused or ride in a van over to the complex. They are fed breakfast by the club. They then get dressed have workouts and scrimmages and then they eat lunch in the clubhouse then workout then taken back to the MOTEL and given 20 dollars for dinner. What is there left to take care of??????
Maybe I'm just not getting it but I don't see the evil in the current system. This plan was proposed by Sandy Alderson, and is modeled after what Boston, St. Louis and San Francisco have in place currently. These clubs are not known for player development say like the Braves, Twins or the Angels. This is strictly about cost saving. Smaller draft, less leagues means smaller minor league budgets and less scouts. The complex teams, the Appy and Gulf Coast would be eliminated and Short Season would be lengthened. This is not more opportunities this is less. As for revenue sharing, there is a luxury tax but not true revenue sharing as in the NFL. So the Yankees and the Red Sox write a check every year. There are no rules that require those funds to be put back into player development. In my particular case, the complex baseball was awesome for my son and the organization he is in, because it allowed him to rehab from surgery, get use to being on his own, and get great instruction while rehabbing and playing. He pitched 50 innings in rookie ball then got promoted and got two starts in short-season and then went to Instructional League. The rehab guys were right there and the pitching coaches were geared toward making his return to the mound both successful and injury free. If a team is trying to make money for its owner I am not sure this would have been the situation with my son. My main point is, regardless of how you feel about the baseball part, the business part is where the players are not getting a fair shake. The 07 contract for a draft year player of 06 is not fair if the club expects that player to perform in 06. The clubs get a free year. This greatly benefits the Kansas City's and the Tampa Bay's because they get to hold on to their young superstars an extra year. That would make the average college junior who gets drafted at 21 not eligible for major league free agency until he is 28 and the average 18 year old not eligible until he is 25. That is a lot of good years at the league minimum or at the whim of an arbitrator. I read bbscout's post and although absolutely correct it doesn't address this fact. If you sign shortly after the draft you get credit for that year and then when and if you make the majors your next free agent contract is six years from when you originally signed. I think that there are a lot of ramifications to this change that are not as yet foreseen and I don't believe they are all for the good. Will it change how teams draft? Will it be more opportunities or less? Will it help or hinder player development? I wish they would release the teams who are opposed so we could see who they are. If they have let me know. I will bet they include the Braves(14 straight divisional championships), the Angels and the Twins.
Ok, it saves them a year on the rule 5 so they don't have to protect them on the 40 man roster as stated by Jimmie Lee Solomon MLB executive vice president. It still is a benefit that accrues to the clubs. Sorry for the mistatement( I was attempting to oversimplify a very complicated issue). That still doesn't answer my other questions. I don't support anything that makes less baseball available to young players. I don't understand why player development is the sacrificial lamb because the big league clubs can't manage their own finances. As put forth by Mr. Solomon, the Players Association would view it as the league(owners) helping themselves. I think there is a better way than cutting player development. The current revenue situation is not working, the haves and the havenots are further apart than ever. So cutting complex ball, eliminating the Florida State league, coopting the Appy league (not quite sure what Mr. Solomon meant by that)and slotting the draft to assure some cost certainty is just a band aid on a severe laceration. Minor league baseball had one of their best attendance years ever. Major league baseball also had a great year and most raise ticket prices every year. Somebody is making money. Why hinder player development?
Question: what would the effects be on minor league cities? Is this good for the minor leagues?
Answer: (by Mr. Solomon executive vice president MLB) "We are not talking about taking away baseball in any community. Baseball played in as many communities as possible is the most important thing in the world to us-that's how youget kids to select the game. The only teams we are talking about eliminating are complex leagues. Have you been to those games? There are a lot of empty seats. The Florida State League plays in the same facilities that the Gulf Coast League teams do. So there is no loss of a team for any community. The Appalachian League, they might get a different type of league, there might be co-ops, some teams might be run by (MLB). But the teams will be there."

Now how much better of a source do I need. So just to make you happy I called an area scout just to verify it and that is the case. If necessary I'll call a scouting director I know to double check that.

Why would you jump up and down for joy are they taking money out of your pocket? I realize you don't like it but who does it hurt. I gather by your post it doesn't have the glamour of say rookie ball in Bluefield, West Virginia. My choice playing in the middle of the day in Mesa Arizona or living and traveling the Appy league to play in front of a couple hundred people I would take Mesa any day.
BB Scout;
as always you have the correct information.

MLB needs to correct the errors of mediocrity and adjust to changes, the same as a player.

The important key to the proposed changes are the increasing number of foreign born players in the minor leagues [48%].

With the number of MLB Academies in Mexico, Australia, Latin America, the young "foreign" born player will learn the inside game quicker than the American player.

When our teams travel to Australia, China and Japan, our pro scouts/coaches are amazed at the lack of our American players "creativity"
and ability to think and adjust.

You and I both know the reasons. Player development is necessary for the players ages 15-18, not in the "complex" leagues. Then it is too late.

Bob Williams
It is the combination of game experience and the "follow up" after the game to provide the education into the "inside game".

In Australia next month the Australia Sports Institute will film our games and after the game the Australia State Team players will be critiqued as to their "time at bat".

Questions" why did you take the 2-0 pitch? What were you looking for? Many additional question requested by former professional players who are their coaches.

My questions are on our web site.<www.goodwillseries.org>
Can you teach a player to read the bat?

The opportunity to learn is constant. It is the player responsibility to ask questions, to research, to visualize, to focus and above all else to concentrate on his "role".

Bob Williams
It's great that you bring the 'inside game' to people's attention. I call it situational ball.

The best example on defense is having the pitcher pitch to his defensive set. Further allowing the defense to move on the pitch to cheat into the holes or lean in the direction of greatest probability.

I have always taught pitchers to notice practice swings of the batters as they approach the plate. Some batters are high ball swingers, usually susceptible to breaking stuff, and others are low ball swingers, usually handled with high fastballs.

Batting is a science all to itself, but at times it is better to hit away from certain areas in certain situations. All of these techniques make for championship ball at the lower levels and good competition at the higher levels.

I have always expected that kids would leave 12 year old ball with a good understanding of the fundamental plays. Watching the 13 and 14 year old levels I see that the techniques have not been passed on. a good article on the subject can be found through the link below.

http://www.thediamondangle.com/archive/dec02/insidegame.html
Went back and read the articles in BA over the last three months concerning the proposed changes and noticed that one of the complaints is that the changes would hurt the development of the Non-american players. So I guess my question is if this is what is lacking in American youth baseball how will the elimination of complex ball help us catch up? Those leagues will be replaced by extended instructional league but will that make that much of a difference? I still believe that these are solely cost cutting changes and that the result will be less player development and fewer opportunities.
I have heard that rookie league offers very little (or no) instruction and most players do not like it. JMO, but rookie league is just a starting point for the lucky few who are considered prospects, a place for them to transition immediately out of HS. Get in innings or at bats. Most players are there to make a team for the prospects to play in. Those include the non american players. I think it's a great idea to get rid of complex leagues, whether it's for cost or to better player development, I don't see the need. I have to go with bbscout's experience when he says it's time to move forward.
Deldad,
You have to remember your son's team has muchinvested in him, so they are going to be there 24/7 to help in his rehab and maturation as a player. Not all those headed to rookie camp have that luxury, or the support.
Last edited by TPM
If what you are saying is that there are a lot of fillers who are there to just make it possible for the prospects to have somebody to play with, I say that one of those fillers is living his dream. Yes, it would be better for the prospects to play at a higher level sooner and face tougher competition but there is a price to pay. Do you think that David Eckstien or Mike Piazza were considered a prospect when they were signed as a free agent or drafted and used to fill out a roster so the first round picks would have somebody to play with.

As far as the players liking it, go home somebody else would love to take that spot and have their one in a million shot. If I could I would play for nothing.

Bbscout has great points and it probably would be better if every club had two rookie teams, two low A teams and two high A teams, but that is not what is going to happen. complex is gone, Short season becomes rookie ball and they still have just two A level teams. So his points are valid but not what is proposed. His ideas are progressive but the proposed changes aren't. If we could implement BBscout's ideas I would say that is progress what is proposed is not.
From what I gather from Bbscouts post they replaced 2 rookie teams and 2 A teams with complex ball, and that was a terrible idea. Now they are eliminating the complex, whats next short season, low A ball. It is about the money. I have yet to see an owner or an executive struggling to make the rent.
From what I saw of complex ball all the players received instruction and they all treated the same. Those "fillers" are very talented players and every player gets the chance to prove him self and move up to the next level. I would say the difference is the "prospects" get more playing time in games and the most at bats. They will also be given more time to succeed.
Complex ball does not feel like minor league baseall. and the players I know were glad to move out of it.
Would players still do rehab at the complex?
Last edited by njbb
I agree njbb. My answer to your rehab question is maybe but not with the success that the complex's offer. It was important in my experience for their to be a team around when rehabbing. Often times it is a young players first time being injured and in the case of TJ surgery it is a long rehab. Then to isolate them at a rehab location without teammates makes it an even longer. Being on an A team roster is impossible to rehab with the travel.

Yes these "fillers" are great players and with time and opportunity alot of them become major leaguers. I love those late round picks that make it to the show. There are a lot of first rounders that are playing behind these guys. And my point throughout this discussion and my objection to the proposed changes is that there will be less opportunities for players and the reason the MLB is doing it is to save money.

Now the question is if the proposed changes are adopted, will the draft change to more college players and will this help or hurt the college game? I hear so much about how the aluminum in college hurts development of hitters and pitchers will this be a factor in player development?
been trying with interest to follow some great insight on this thread, but

if consultant takes players to other continents to fine tune their skills in "international play", why would the elinimation of the complex leagues hurt international players?

why would any international players even BE in complex leagues if they are SO ADVANCED?

and why is it that American players can only learn the real "inside game" by flying 4000 miles?

help me out here
Last edited by Chairman
Great question. I got that info from an article in BA in which the scouting director of a certain organization said that the very young latin players would be hindered by going to straight to A ball and would have less chance to succeed. If our players have to go to Australia to "learn the game" it sounds like we need to teach the game at the lower levels. And our kids play more baseball now than ever, so what are they missing? Is it to many games and not enough practice? If that is the case maybe complex ball isn't bad because it can make up for the shortcomings of youth ball.
Although the latin players have a couple years of instruction before they come to the states, I think the complex ball helps them make the transition to living and playing in the USA.

If the draft is moved back and drafted players sign later they would then report to instructional league, (?) If this includes college players would they be playing together?Currently there are age restrictions at the rookie level
Also how do these changes effect the prospects who are currently invited to instructs? Sounds like alot of players playing at the complex in the fall
Last edited by njbb
It seems to have more of the sound of drafting players right out of high school. Also it appears that the scouting system will see a major overhaul.

There may be a change in what scouts should be looking for in a prospect. Pitchers are usually gauged by mph instead of ERA. A player under six foot is usually overlooked for the over six footer.

I have tried to make the point at any venue I could that players today may be better physical specimens than years past, but the level of play is no better , maybe worse.

I remember when the justification for the taller pitcher was to make up the difference in the mounds being lowered. It never really panned out. Pitchers got taller threw harder and were most often flops in the majors. Further the hard throwers don't hit spots. They just hope that the batters swing at that high heat. I always think back to Nolan Ryan averaging a walk per strike out in the National League. Going to the American League where they swung at the high heat gave him a new life.

The only real justification for a tall player in my view is first base. The Hall of Fame is full of under six foot ball players. I was looking at HOF inductees in the past years and notice that there haven't been many outfielders from the modern era, the last 25 years. (Steroids will kep many out of the Hall.) I look at guys like Mantle, Mays and Yaz being under six foot and not getting a shot. It's been ridiculous.

Maybe this is a change for the better for the game that is being presented as entertainment.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.