Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

quote:
Originally posted by tarheelfaninmd:
Conway is probably 88-90 with a nice change up and slider. I only saw him once but I was impressed with his smoothness and composure.He uses the corners well and isn't afraid to come in on a batter.Throws any pitch on any count.

probably the hardest thing about facing him was the fact that he hides the ball well. But, it didnt help much that the sun was behind him and in my eyes.
Tyler Hibbs RHP SS 5-11 160 R R Arundel Odenton MD
Kevin Brady RHP 1B 6-3 195 L R Gaithersburg Montgomery Village MD
Gabriel Feldman RHP 5-11 175 R R Notre Dame Academy CabinJohn MD
Danny Hultzen LHP IF 0-0 L L St. Albans Bethesda MD
Sander Beck MIF P 6-2 195 R R Severn Millersville MD U of Maryland
Scott Silverstein LHP 6-5 205 L L St. John's College Brookeville MD Virginia
Paul Devito LHP OF 6-2 165 R L Arch. Spalding Annapolis MD l
Csrl Travers C MIF/P 5-11 165 R R Riverdale Baptist Huntingtown MD Radford University
Jason Patten RHP OF 6-0 175 R R Spaulding Davidsonville MD
Matthew Markey RHP 3B 5-11 175 R R St Pauls School Kingsville MD
Hugh Adams RHP 6-5 210 R R St. John's Bethesda MD Florida Atlantic
LJ Hoes OF IF/P 6-0 190 R R St. John's Mitchellville MD North Carolina
Tommy Winegardner SS P 5-11 175 S R Riverdale Baptist St. Leonard MD Coastal Carolina
Dani Ashbaugh of Linganore is definitely a great prospect. He's entering his junior year with two years of varsity experience under his belt pitching in a pretty tough conference and league against his team's toughest opponents. He throws 5 pitches for strikes and his fastball is in the mid 80s and he locates it pretty much where he wants. He has an excellent work ethic, he's extremely coachable, and he's a fine young man.

Danny Miller of Catoctin deserves more credit than a previous poster has given. Danny is a senior this year and also has been a varsity starter every year in high school. His velocity may have been off when you saw him, but bear in mind that he had a major shoulder injury last winter, and he also saw extensive innings this year for his high school team. Fatigue may have been an issue when you faced him. I do know that in the fall of his freshman season, he was clocked on the Jugs gun in Allentown, Pa. at 83 mph consistently and he's gotten a lot stronger and bigger since then. He has excellent command and his off-speed is very effective. Like Ashbaugh, he's a fantastic young man who comes from an excellent family. They're both excellent students as well.

Another blue chipper is a young man from Williamsport HS. His name is AJ Jamison. He's an excellent catcher. Calls an outstanding game and is a real leader on the field. Very reminiscent of a Chad Durakis. The real bonus for him is that he can flat out HIT the baseball!
Last edited by R Ringer
quote:
Originally posted by R Ringer:
Another blue chipper is a young man from Williamsport HS. His name is AJ Jamison. He's an excellent catcher. Calls an outstanding game and is a real leader on the field. Very reminiscent of a Chad Durakis. The real bonus for him is that he can flat out HIT the baseball!

The obvious question is whether your comparison helps or hurts AJ.

cheers
Bear
quote:
Originally posted by tarheelfaninmd:
I saw Ashbaugh pitch for the Hustlers and I was impressed. Then Conway came in to relieve and I was even more impressed. I find it interesting you give no credit to Conway or Nelling.As for Miller, it could be fatigue.. All I said was when I saw him he needed some work.

I have to confess that I've never seen Conway pitch. He's only played SS at any of the Hustler games I've attended, so I can't comment on him as a pitcher. But I do have to say that I thought he did a really fine job at SS. I also really liked Mike Minch at middle infield as well. I'm a big fan of Mike's. He's a real bulldog and he's automatic defensively. I think he's one of the most coachable kids I've known. He's a real winner. Jacob Pendergraft was a real bright spot on that Hustler team defensively, offensively, and especially as a pitcher. He threw two no-hitters for me on my fall squad in 2006. He and Jamison make a heck of a battery.

I've never seen Nelling play. I expect to see him this year as we have North Hagerstown on our schedule.
quote:
Originally posted by Bear:
quote:
Originally posted by R Ringer:

The obvious question is whether your comparison helps or hurts AJ.

cheers
Bear

I make no apologies for the fact that I loved watching Chad Durakis play. The year I was coaching at St. John's at Prospect Hall under Coach Kurt Seibert, I got to see Chad twice. I really loved how he swung the bat. But what impressed me the most was his electricity that he brought to the field. I build my teams around my catchers. I trust them to be the field generals and Chad was just that. He immediately made a big impression on me because he saw so many of the little things. He and Steve Johnson made a heck of a duo. Chad did everything you'd want a catcher to do and I've never forgotten that.

I see the same qualities in AJ Jamison. He just flat out hits the snot out of the baseball. But he runs a pitching staff to perfection. He calls an excellent game and he leads by example. After every inning on the field, he runs off and waits by the dugout and high-fives every one of the players as they come off the field. He's a true leader. Also, he's an exceptionally smart young man and he really has a great head for looking for the little things in the game. Whomever signs him is going to get themselves a real gem.
Last edited by R Ringer

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.