Skip to main content

Wow with a lot of big schools baseball in Maryland should be pretty exciting.

Keeping it on the positive, let's hear a perspective from as many programs as possible. Remember baseball is an Individual Effort in a Team Concept. So some schools may not win their league, but could have a talented player or two.

Remember this thread is about players to watch on each respective team. It is not a comparison or a chance to berate. Stay Positive!

Al McCormick
www.mostvaluableplayer.biz
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I expect Urbana to be tough again this year. Their Soph's will form the backbone for a while to come. Voytell will be his always dangerous self, although I wouldn't hand the top hitter crown over to him as of yet. There are plenty of outstanding sticks in the rest of the county who will give him a run for his money.

I think Brunswick will be very tough this year. Coach Dawson always does an excellent job of getting the most out of his squad despite the fact that they're such a small school. I expect Keyser, Minch, and Darling will be the engine that'll drive the train.

In my opinion, this is Catoctin's year to go all the way in 1A. They have a VERY large, gifted senior class with TONS of varsity experience and excellent coaching. Danny Miller, Kyle Sanders, Zach Little, Kyle Beard, etc. will be the leaders. The starting lineup will be almost all seniors with the addition of underclassman Justin Albright.

Linganore will win their share of games this year behind the amazing arms of Dani Ashbaugh and Kyle Dietrich and bats of Andrew Hodgkins and Nick Rippeon. Coach Troy has them working hard in the weight room and in the gym preparing physically for the coming season.

Frederick is going to be dangerous this year. They have some strong underclassmen moving up into senior roles on the team. They do so many of the little things well, they're not going to beat themselves. Jimmy Lanning will have a break out year on the hill along with Andrew Zimnick. Brady Wilson will continue to wear out opposing pitching.

TJ stands to be very tough this year. They will finally have their three guns together on the hill for the first time. Pitchers Zier, Hahn, and Kline will ensure that their foes will have a very difficult time scoring runs. If TJ scores runs this year, they may go very deep in post season play.

Middletown will lose nearly all of their state runner-up varsity squad this year. Not to worry, they have an excellent group of younger players coming up to fill the ranks.

I'm not sure how much Tuscarora will lose from last year's squad. What I am certain of is that Nick Meekins will make a bid for player of the year. The talented lefty will be potent on the mound and will notch his share of wins for the Titans. He's also very difficult in the lead off spot and anything hit anywhere near centerfield is caught.
Last edited by R Ringer
I've watched Nick play since he was around 13 and I've watched Jimmy Lanning play since he was around 11. I can still picture Jimmy - who has always been really tall for his age - pitching on the PONY 70' diamond just throwing smoke. He could flat out bring it. One of the great things about Jimmy is that he's a really great kid. Very easy going, great competitive nature on the field. It's just so hard to believe these guys are right around the corner from graduating. Argh, good thing I'm not getting old too.

I've gotten a couple of messages about leaving out Walkersville in my earlier post. That was on purpose since I'm a coach there. I tend to gush about my players and I don't think the website has enough bandwith for me to say all that I'd like to say about them. Suffice to say that I think we'll be competitive this year. I'm also very proud of our turn around this past season where we won something like 7 of our last 8 games after starting out 4-8. We put it all together at the right time and made a heck of a run eventually losing to state runner-up Middletown. The hardest thing was just getting the kids to believe that we could win and buy into the new system. Once they did, it was a really fun ride.
Last edited by R Ringer
Very understandable... The years in your high school program are very valuable. Not only is it a time where you can polish and build upon your skills, but a place where you can prepare yourself for college. Not to mention showcase your ablilty for the next level. Unfortunately the Frederick area really doesn't get as much exposure as it should. That being said, hopefully the recent years, with all of the players going off to college and this 2008 class will give the area the exposure it deserves.
As for Walkersville, any of your players going off and playing in college? Great turnaround last season, similar to UHS starting 3-7 and turning it around to win the conference. However, Jimmy should do well at whatever program he choses, especially as this year he is just a junior.
Saint Johns College High School has five seniors already verbally committed to D-1 Schools:
1. Cory Beahm, Hartford
2. Huge Adams, Florida Atlantic
3. Matt Mack, Radford
4. Jerome Hoes, North Carolina (Rawlings All-American)
5, Scott Silverstein, Virginia (Aflac All-American)

And there are two additional players that will be verbally commiting to D-1 schools in the near future:

1. Jeff Flax
2. Nick Routt
Calvert Hall
Michael Dillon - P - 08
Kevin Lingerman - 3B/P - 08
Nick Caddick - P - 08
Brooks Rothschild - P - 08
Greg Terry - P -08
Pat Blair - SS - 09
Luke Sawyer - C - 08

St. Pauls
Jack Carey - 3B - 09
Austin Crabill - OF/C - 09
Colby Roane - C/2B/OF - 08

Archbishop Curley
Sean Thompson - P - 08

St. Vincent Pallotti
Kieran Flanerry - C/P - 08

Archbishop Spalding
Kody Hines - IF - 08
Jeff Kemp - IF - 08
Steve Brinkley - OF - 08
Matt Hilsinger - OF - 08
Paul Devito - P - 08
Scott Ardnt - P - 08
Jason Patten - P - 08
Eddie Palmer - C - 09

Severna Park High School
David Turner - OF - 09
Cory Jensen - SS - 08
Dylan Taylor - P - 09

Arundel High School
Tyler Hibbs - P/IF - 08

Mt. St. Joseph
Ryan Kemp - P - 08
Danny Druzgala - P - 08

North Hagerstown High School
Cody Nelling - P/SS - 08
Last edited by MDBaseball33
Isn't this thread supposed to be about teams? I was getting interested when I heard talk of Urbana and Catoctin, but then it moved to individual players.

Can we get this back on track? In this world of showcase baseball, pro-workouts and hitting instructors, can we drop all that for one minute and remember baseball is a team game. I never have seen a game where it was 1 vs 9 (except the King and His Court, and the Court sat out an inning).

What about the teams??? Howard County has some very good players, but I can't think of a dominant team that has a legitimate shot to go deep in the playoffs. Help me, please!
true, but there are plenty of teams that have great indiviual players, but cannot preform as a team at all. The best teams do have D-1, D-2 players, but more importantly can function as one. You might have the best player in the area, but unless he can make everyone else around him better the team is not going to reach it's potential. Not until everyone understands that it is not all about them and eats a little "humble pie" will they succeed. If a player understands his role, as well as the rest of the team, they will be very competitive. Look at the cincinnati bengals. All the drama caused by the individuals has them playing terribly. Often it takes half the season for a talented team to realize they have to play like a team. Once that happens, the level of play goes up and suddenly they are the team to beat. Thus when you ask who the best teams are, look for the ones with the most heart to play like a team.
St. John’s Signing Day Commitments
Player School
Hugh Adams Florida Atlantic University
Cory Beahm University of Hartford
Jeff Flax LaSalle University
LJ Hoes University of North Carolina
Michael Loeb Davidson College
Matt Mack Radford University
Craig Miller LaSalle University
Nick Routt Mississippi State University
Scott Silverstein University of Virginia
quote:
Originally posted by catcher38:
true, but there are plenty of teams that have great indiviual players, but cannot preform as a team at all. The best teams do have D-1, D-2 players, but more importantly can function as one. You might have the best player in the area, but unless he can make everyone else around him better the team is not going to reach it's potential. Not until everyone understands that it is not all about them and eats a little "humble pie" will they succeed. If a player understands his role, as well as the rest of the team, they will be very competitive.

quote:
Originally posted by larrythompson:
Isn't this thread supposed to be about teams? I was getting interested when I heard talk of Urbana and Catoctin, but then it moved to individual players.

Larry,
I really think this will be Catoctin's year to go all the way in 1A. They have an outstanding Senior class this year who have played together at the varsity level since their sophomore year. To make it more interesting, they've essentially played together coming up through youth ball, and they've enjoyed a lot of success. These guys all hang out together year-round, they're all best friends, and they love each other. Team chemistry is unbelievable. The varsity roster will be very senior-heavy this year. I believe they only lost one senior last year to graduation. Additionally, they have some outstanding underclassmen that will play key roles - Justin Albright comes to mind. They have plenty of solid pitching led by Danny Miller. You know they're going to hit the baseball from top to bottom of the lineup. The bunt is always something you have to defend, and they spend a LOT of time in the offseason working on their speed and agility. They're probably the fastest 1A team on the planet. They're going to run the bases. Combine that with an excellent coaching staff who have been to the dance many times in recent years; and a winning tradition, it all adds up to a team that is going to go deep in the post season.
quote:
Originally posted by baseballstud08:
excuse me trepfan but this forum is for high school teams not high school players. Two players dont make a team.

Gee thanks for that clarification -- ok "stud" or maybe I should call you brain surgeon --- checkout the HS 2008 Rankings and try to guess why these teams are ranked so high ---- maybe because of the caliber of players on each team......and interesting enough -- Calvert Hall is the only team "representing" the State of Maryland ---

Collegiate Baseball Newspaper's
Easton Sports National H.S. Poll
(2008 Pre-Season Poll)
www.baseballnews.com
Rank School 2007 Record

1. Don Bosco Prep (Ramsey, NJ) 27-2
2. St. John's College (Washington DC) 23-6
3. Woodrow Wilson (Long Beach, CA) 32-3
4. Cypress-Fairbanks (Cypress, TX) 32-7
5. American Heritage (Plantation, FL) 23-6
6. Foy H. Moody (Corpus Christi, TX) 39-3
7. Sarasota (Sarasota, FL) 29-3
8. Orange Lutheran (Orange, CA) 19-8
9. Calvert Hall (Baltimore, MD) 33-0
10. Catalina Foothills (Tucson, AZ) 25-5
11. Bartlett (Bartlett, TN) 40-5
12. Owasso (Owasso, OK) 35-5
13. H.B. Plant (Tampa, FL) 21-5
14. Bishop Gorman (Las Vegas, NV) 35-6-1
15. James River (Midlothian, VA) 26-2
16. Wentzville Holt (Wentzville, MO) 21-11
17. Walton (Marietta, GA) 32-7
18. Cullman (Cullman, AL) 48-7
19. Tupelo (Tupelo, MS) 34-5
20. Christian Brothers (Memphis, TN) 40-8
21. Barbe (Lake Charles, LA) 35-5
22. Rocky Mountain (Fort Collins, CO) 20-5
23. Klein Collins (Spring, TX) 36-5
24. Pleasure Ridge Park (Louisville, KY) 36-10
25. Lake Orion (Lake Orion, MI) 31-5
26. Charles Flanagan (Pembroke Pines, FL) 23-8
27. Archbishop Moeller (Cincinnati, OH) 27-4
28. Hamilton (Chandler, AZ) 20-12
29. Sandburg (Orland Park, IL) 29-8
30. Mamaroneck (Mamaroneck, NY) 21-4

Last edited by Trepfan
Let's not forget Trepfan, that they are also the Maryland TEAM that beat St. John's the past two years. Rankings are great, but I believe that St. John's was ranked higher at the beginning of both the past two seasons and Calvert Hall finished ahead by the end. St. John's has some great talent, but your song is getting old. There are many players that get overlooked by the MSABC system. I know that the CHC players last year pulled off the amazing accomplishment of going 33-0 as a TEAM and not one of them would trade that experience for personal accolades.
quote:
Originally posted by Trepfan:
Two players for Saint Johns College High School ---

1. Scott Silverstein, Alfac All American - Ranked Number 1 in Maryland by Perfect Game.

2. LJ Hoes, Rawlings Second Team All-American - Ranked Number 2 in Maryland by Perfect Game.

Baseball stud -- you're missing the point, it's about who is the higher rated player at St John's. LJ gets ALL THE LOVE but trep needs to let everybody know that LJ is really "second fiddle". Why else would he post the above over TEN times on various threads on baseball web and beyond? Check the thread on the presidential race in the Post blog, I'll bet it's posted there, too!

Coach Gibbs would do well to have a parent meeting to make sure that this special team is not distracted by garbage like this.

As teams go, and this is a "team" thread, St John's is very talented across their entire roster and deserving of their national ranking. I hope the players stay focused on the task at hand and make the MD/DC area proud of a great season.
Last edited by baseball12532
quote:
Originally posted by baseball12532:
quote:

1. Scott Silverstein, Alfac All American - Ranked Number 1 in Maryland by Perfect Game.

2. LJ Hoes, Rawlings Second Team All-American - Ranked Number 2 in Maryland by Perfect Game.

Baseball stud -- you're missing the point, it's about who is the higher rated player at St John's. LJ gets ALL THE LOVE but trep needs to let everybody know that LJ is really "second fiddle". Why else would he post the above over TEN times on various threads on baseball web and beyond? Check the thread on the presidential race in the Post blog, I'll bet it's posted there, too!

Coach Gibbs would do well to have a parent meeting to make sure that this special team is not distracted by garbage like this.

As teams go, and this is a "team" thread, St John's is very talented across their entire roster and deserving of their national ranking. I hope the players stay focused on the task at hand and make the MD/DC area proud of a great season.

Collegiate Baseball Newspaper's
Easton Sports National H.S. Poll
(2008 Pre-Season Poll)
www.baseballnews.com
Rank School 2007 Record

1. Don Bosco Prep (Ramsey, NJ) 27-2
2. St. John's College (Washington DC) 23-6
3. Woodrow Wilson (Long Beach, CA) 32-3
4. Cypress-Fairbanks (Cypress, TX) 32-7
5. American Heritage (Plantation, FL) 23-6
6. Foy H. Moody (Corpus Christi, TX) 39-3
7. Sarasota (Sarasota, FL) 29-3
8. Orange Lutheran (Orange, CA) 19-8
9. Calvert Hall (Baltimore, MD) 33-0
10. Catalina Foothills (Tucson, AZ) 25-5
11. Bartlett (Bartlett, TN) 40-5
12. Owasso (Owasso, OK) 35-5
13. H.B. Plant (Tampa, FL) 21-5
14. Bishop Gorman (Las Vegas, NV) 35-6-1
15. James River (Midlothian, VA) 26-2
16. Wentzville Holt (Wentzville, MO) 21-11
17. Walton (Marietta, GA) 32-7
18. Cullman (Cullman, AL) 48-7
19. Tupelo (Tupelo, MS) 34-5
20. Christian Brothers (Memphis, TN) 40-8
21. Barbe (Lake Charles, LA) 35-5
22. Rocky Mountain (Fort Collins, CO) 20-5
23. Klein Collins (Spring, TX) 36-5
24. Pleasure Ridge Park (Louisville, KY) 36-10
25. Lake Orion (Lake Orion, MI) 31-5
26. Charles Flanagan (Pembroke Pines, FL) 23-8
27. Archbishop Moeller (Cincinnati, OH) 27-4
28. Hamilton (Chandler, AZ) 20-12
29. Sandburg (Orland Park, IL) 29-8
30. Mamaroneck (Mamaroneck, NY) 21-4
quote:
quote:

I couldn't agree more. And trepfan(wow can't even spell...you must have gone to UMD) even if you took away lj and ss st johns would still be a great team because of all their depth. SJH has had tons of great players to come through but they were never ranked #2 because they didnt have the depth they have this year
quote:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Trepfan:

baseball 12532 -- Go pound sand --- your rap is old - really old. Suggest that you go to Kmart and buy a pair of s****r shoes or better yet a seat cushion and sit and watch the world pass you by. Oh by the way -- there are jobs available at Wal Mart as a greeter. Check it out -- You can blow your hot air as you greet people at the door --

Go Terps!

Bear: Any comments on the list below? --- printed on February 5, 2008

StudentSportsBaseball.com takes a look at the top 20 left handed pitchers in the nation.

1. Kyle Lobstein-6'3 190lbs. '08 Coconino/Flagstaff, Ariz.
Prototype pitchers body with a power fastball and polished curveball.
2. Scott Silverstein-6'5 215lbs. '08 St. John's Brookville, Md.
Overpowering fastball at the high school level with a knee buckling curveball.
3. Brett DeVall-6'4 200lbs. '08 Niceville/Niceville, Fla.
Displays pinpoint control with an explosive FB. Good pitching mechanics.
4. Jarret Martin-6'3 210lbs. Centennial/Bakersfield, Calif.
An advanced lefty with a low 90's fastball that has great control.
5. Robbie Ross-5'11 180lbs. '08 American Heritage/Hialeah, Fla.
Excellent pitcher's demeanor with a lightning quick arm.
6. Michael Montgomery-6'4 180lbs. '08 Hart/Newhall, CA
7. Nick Maronde-6'3 200lbs. '08 Catholic/Lexington, KY
8. Brett Mooneyham- 6'4 215lbs. '08 Buhach Colony/Merced, CA
9. Anthony Gose-5'11 180lbs. '08 Bellflower/Bellflower, CA
10. Austin Wright-6'4 195lbs. '08 Conant/Hoffman, IL
11. T.J. House- 6'2 190lbs. '08 Picayune/Picayune, MS
12. Josh Poytress-6'0 180lbs. '08 Fowler/Fowler, CA
13. Matthew Purke-6'2 175lbs. '09 Klein/Spring, TX
14. Robert Stovall-6'2 190lbs. '08 Hokes Bluff/Hokes Bluff, AL
15. Christopher Joyce-6'0 185lbs. '08 Dos Pueblos/Goleta, CA
16. Chris Reed-6'3 200lbs. Cleveland/Reseda, CA
17. Gary Ward-6'2 190lbs. '08 Hickory/Chesepeake, VA
18. Evan Deluca-6'1 195lbs. '09 Hunterdon Central/Whitehouse Station, NJ
19. John Lamb-6'3 185lbs. '08 Laguna Hills/Laguna Hills, CA
20. Bryce Robinson-6'0 180lbs. '08 Kokomo/Kokomo, IN
Last edited by Trepfan
An interesting omission from that list is Kyle Long. He seems to get rated based on his size and raw athleticism, as opposed to current performance. I'm looking forward to seeing him in person in a few weeks, in a preseason scrimmage.

I have seen some on that list and believe that while they belong there, the order is skewed. Without giving a name, one player who consistently makes these lists is, in my observation, a scout favorite because -- are you ready for this? -- they love to talk things over with his mom, if you know what I mean. I saw this kid pitch and it just didn't merit the hype, but the scouts were all over themselves lining up to meet mom. (Can't say as I could blame them; I was thinking of posing as a scout myself.)

More seriously, I realize he throws 87-88 and not 90+, but for pure pitching ability and results, you can't put together a list of the top 20 southpaws and be taken seriously if you don't include Austin Stadler.
I've seen him 87-88 almost every time out. I think he occasionally touches 89 though no 90's yet. He also has the "pitchability" to get outs when he doesn't have his best fastball, but most days when he has it all going

It is odd that in national events people seem to notice his bat more. But he went 12-0, 1.29 last year as a junior, including a masterpiece in the state championship game. He's a Louisville Slugger Preseason All-American as a LHP. Which kind of suprised me, I thought they'd list him as a 2-way guy.

Last year he was 1st team AAA all state as a hitter, honorable mention all state as a pitcher. First team all region in both capacities.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.