Skip to main content

I think that is pretty much the story for Bonnie. When they play a good team it is usually out of league so W's against "good" teams don't mean much for them since the opposing team is usually saving their aces for league play. They do have some talented kids but I belive teams need to be challenged and play some hard fought league games that mean something prior to getting into playoffs.

Another FYI I read in the paper this morning that the CIF southern section will now allow coaches to be in contact with the kids year round. This will certainly change the dynamics over the next couple of years. Certainly will effect multi sport athletes like my son. Might be worth a new thread for discussion.
Royal d. Moorpark
Agoura d. Westlake
Simi d. NP
TO d. Calabasas

Big, big upset. 3 teams stay tied for last playoff spot. Moorpark and NP have better schedules but Westlake v. Moorpark still looks like the big game.

Wed:
Agoura v. Moorpark - adv. Moorpark
TO v. Royal - Toss up, winner could still overtake Simi
Simi v. Westlake - adv. Simi but can't overlook Westlake bats
NP v. Calabasas - adv. NP but chance for Calabasas to play the spoiler
Last edited by CADad
Westlake d. Simi
TO d. Royal
Calabasas d. NP
Agoura d. Moorpark

Big loss for NP. If Westlake wins on 5/2 NP has very little chance.

Not as big a loss for Moorpark as a win v. Westlake on 5/2 puts them right back in it. On the other hand a loss eliminates them.

Predictions for 5/2:
Westlake v. Moorpark - Toss up. Moorpark's pitcher held Westlake @ Moorpark but was in trouble throughout. (5IP, 10H, 4bb, 2ER) Game is at Westlake. Depends on if Moorpark's pitcher can have a big game and if Westlake has anything left on the mound.

NP v. TO - Adv TO as they are fighting for seeding in the playoffs.

Agoura v. Calabasas - Doesn't affect playoff hopes

Simi v. Royal - Toss up, rivalry game.

Moorpark d. Westlake - Expected a higher scoring game.

TO d. NP

Simi d. Royal

Calabasas d. Agoura

Looks like it comes down to the last game of the season. If Moorpark and Westlake both win or both lose I believe Moorpark goes to the playoffs, but I'm not certain of that. Hard to believe but I think the tiebreaker is who has gone to the playoffs most recently. I think that eliminates NP who can finish in a tie at best.

Predictions for last games on Wed.

Moorpark v. TO - TO is trying to win league, Moorpark is fighting to make playoffs. Hope not, but have to go with my prediction from before the season that Moorpark would end up 6-8 in league so I have to give TO the edge.

Westlake v. Calabasas - More incentive for Westlake but they just haven't played that well lately and Selarz will probably go for Calabasas - Toss up.

NP v. Royal - edge to Royal

Simi v. Agoura - Simi
Last edited by CADad
Wow! Spoke too soon. It turns out Calabasas still might be in the race. If they beat Westlake and Moorpark loses then they'd be tied with Westlake and Moorpark at 6-8. I don't know when they last made the playoffs.

It turns out Calabasas went to the playoffs in '06 with a 6-8 record in league so they'd lose the tiebreaker to Moorpark if having been to the playoffs more recently really is the tiebreaker.

Moorpark has their destiny in their own hands most likely with a win on Wednesday getting them into the playoffs, but they're playing the best and hottest team in the league.

Westlake has been playing poorly and is going up against Calabasas' ace. A win would probably put Westlake in the playoffs but not if Moorpark beats TO.

Back in '05 Moorpark and Westlake had a playoff game to decide who went to the playoffs, but they had split with each other that year and only those two teams were tied. I don't know what happens if both Moorpark and Westlake win on Wednesday. Perhaps Moorpark having won both games during the season would send Moorpark to the playoffs or perhaps it would require a playoff game. If both teams lose then it would be at least a 3 way tie with Calabasas, and possibly a 4 way tie with Newbury Park. In that case I believe Moorpark would go to the playoffs, but I'm not certain.
Last edited by CADad
Just checked Maxpreps and if I read this correctly this how the races will end up with. I am sure CAdad will correct me if I am off slightly:

Maramonte: TO/Simi joint champions with Royal getting a playoff spot. One of my personal favorites - Westlake died on the vine so to speak.

Pacific View: Oxnard won out and will take championship - Camarillo 2nd with Hueneme getting a play off spot.

Channel League: Santa Barabara 1st, DP 2nd, with Ventura winning last night to get a playoff spot

Tri-Valley: St. Bonnie as usual, Oak Park is 2nd and looking better with Malibu getting a playoff spot.

Don't know about farther south as have to get back to work Wink
Last edited by BOF
There are 4 playoff spots for the Marmonte League. I'm not certain, but I believe Westlake, Moorpark and Calabasas tied for 4th. I think there will be a playoff between those 3 teams. My guess is that there will be a coin flip and 2 of the teams will play each other and the the winner of that game will play the winner of the coin toss with the games being Thursday and Friday. That's the rumor that was going around. I know that TO beat Moorpark and that Calabasas was leading Westlake by 2 late in the game.
BOF,
Moorpark is playing Calabasas on Thursday at Simi High School. The winner of that game will play Westlake on Friday. I think Moorpark has a decent starter available to go against Calabasas. This obviously gives the team that only has to play one game an advantage as Moorpark and Calabasas will have both used their number 2 starter before the Friday game and Westlake will be able to throw their #2.
Last edited by CADad
Moorpark d. Calabasas so it is Moorpark v. Westlake on Friday for the final spot. Should be interesting to see who each team throws. Could be a high scoring game.

From what I could tell Moorpark's coach took a necessary gamble v. Calabasas that didn't quite work out even though it ended up with a win as they had to use both their #2 and #3 starters. If he uses the pitcher I think he is going to start with today that will be an even bigger gamble, but anyone else he could use would also be a bit of a gamble.

Down the lines it is fairly short at CCS and I wouldn't be surprised to see a few balls fly out of there. Westlake will most likely use the same pitchers they used against Moorpark last week but I'd expect Moorpark to handle them a bit better this time so the game may still be a toss-up.
Last edited by CADad
Crepsi (22-5) won the Mission Title again, as did their JV team who went 22-3.

The varsity team seems to get hit by the press for losing game 2nd game of double headers first to Palos Verdes then to Thousand Oaks. No one seems to notice that Crespi played their reserves and no staters in the 2nd game of both double headers against Palos Verdes and Thousand Oaks starters.
The pitcher I said was the big gamble didn't get out of the first inning. Westlake won and will head to the playoffs.

All in all, it looks like what I predicted back on February 2nd came true. The pitchers with the talent weren't developed and weren't ready when needed. They did get a fairly nice performance out of one of the juniors after things had essentially been decided. Hard to tell if the wins in the tournament games gave them the confidence to do OK in league or if going for wins in tournaments kept them out of the playoffs.
Last edited by CADad
Ok, I'll bite.

D1, round 1 winners
Los Al, Canyon, Capo, Mater Dei, Lakewood, Valencia, JSerra, Simi, Hart, Canyon Spr, Tesoro, Wilson, TO, Norco, El Modena, OLu (I think OLu will play Lakewood or Los Al in the finals).

But why stop with DI?

DII, round 1 winners

Redlands EV (will beat either of the WC A teams), Tem Vly, Chino Hills, Oxnard, Katella, Upland, Orange, PV, VM, Alta Loma, SB, PR, El Toro, Crescenta Vly, Rialto, West (my guess here is that West will go very, very far, may even take it all).

DIII, round 1 winners

Crespi, La Serna, Don Lugo, S Hills, Loyola (will win wild card and then beat Mayfair), San Gorgonio, Laguna Hills, Paramount, Cajon, Uni, Quartz Hill, El Rancho, Alhambra, Paloma Valley, Nogales, ND/SO (Crespi all the way).

DIV, round 1 winners:

Northview, Barstow, Torrance, Malibu, Sonora, Kaiser, Lompoc, St. Bone., La Habra, Santa Monica, Granite Hills, Charter Oak, Cath. City, Anaheim, Patriot (gotta go Patriot all the way here).

Don't know anything about the rest, so....
no11,
Not too different on the D1 so we're probably both wrong. Smile

I do think TO has a chance to upset Lutheran depending on how the pitching matchups go. Of course, TO could also lose before getting that far also. Royal got a tough draw but could do pretty well even so. Simi probably doesn't have the pitching to go that far despite their hitting. Westlake just doesn't have the pitching depth. TO is probably the best playoff team coming out of the Marmonte league.
Last edited by CADad
I think being home has huge benefits for tournament games, so in general the higher seeds and home teams “should” win, but if a team runs into and hot pitcher and they could get K’d. I think that behind Johnson Westlake might knock off Hart, beyond that it might be difficult. In general defense and pitching wins but Simi might be able to power through on their bats. Agree on TO. Saugus might be a sleeper. DP might knock off Palos Verdes. St. Bonnie coach was in the local paper and talking about going all the way, being a “poor small school competing with big schools” bla, bla, bla, They might make it through two games based on their seeding, but once the going gets tough they will get knocked off.

Someone is going to knock off a top seed. Who might that be?
Last edited by BOF
CADad:

haha. You're probably right on - we're both probably wrong.

BOF: I was just looking around DP and I might change from PV winning to DP - they look very strong in the hitting area, and PV is not that strong hitting - very good fielding however, with decent pitching (but DP can hit their ace I think).

I still think it will be LosAl or Lakewood v. OLu in DI finals.

For DII, West beat Wilson and West is a very strong team - seniors who have played together since they were little guys, and all on the same travel teams, too. They know each other like the back of their hands.

Gotta stay with Crespi in DIII and Patriot in DIV. Gee, I think Crespi and Patriot could even take the DI and DII teams and win or at least give them a good run for it. Wouldn't you like to see Lollis and Skipworth go against Cole? Wow.

Eh, well.
Does CIF post results somewhere that we can follow?

I watched the Ventura vs Redondo game last night. Redondo won 2-0 but I suspect they will get killed in Redlands. Neither team looked very good. Redondo won behind a Soph who did his job by throwing strikes and keeping the ball down. I had his velocity at 74-76, not a particularly good breaking pitch but Ventura was rolling over the top of his FB all night. I don't want to take anything away from him because he did his job, but I think my son's Freshmen team saw better pitchers. Just goes to show you how tough it is getting through because of one bad game and your done.

I will try to get to one of the other games in the region on Friday either Simi or TO. I am leaning toward Simi just to see how their bats look.
BOF,
I believe they update the results on the draw sheets if I remember correctly. Westlake has a small chance behind Graham but Montgomery and Bauer of Hart are a combined 18-1 and I don't think anyone else is going to see the mound unless there's a blowout or a game goes well into extra innings. Bauer and Montgomery were going 7 innings back in early March.

BTW, I believe the Div 1 games are on Thursday.
Last edited by CADad
BOF: Have seen and played both teams more than once. Either can do it or lose it on any given day. The Redondo pitcher throws well - not hard, but noone seems to hit him. He has something going for him that just keeps the hitters rolling over and popping out, flying out, etc. He keeps it low, etc. He also can throw forever, he's the energizer bunny on the mound. I do agree however that RedEV will take them (see my prior prediction).
dad; well, in my estimation, Lakewood will likely make it to face either Simi or Hart. And, although both are very strong, I think Lakewood may just barely beat either of them. That should end with them going against Los Al, and again, either team could win, which was why I said Lakewood or Los Al against OLu. Just MHO. But, hey, I am occasionally wrong (not often, but occasionally) - JUST KIDDING.
There's no team I see as a clear favorite. I think Los Al is probably good but over rated also as they played in a weak league this season and I didn't see that they played very many strong teams outside of league. At this point I might even take Hart.

Looking at the draw a little closer I'd say several teams could win the top quarter. Los Al might be a slight favorite but Royal, Capo and others have a shot. The second quarter I might even give the advantage to Simi or Valencia. The third quarter is full of good teams but I'd give a slight advantage to Hart. The bottom quarter I think will come down to TO vs. Lutheran and Lutheran would have Cole going in that game so I'd give them a slight advantage.
Last edited by CADad
quote:
Originally posted by CADad:
At this point I might even take Hart.

Unless of course Westlake beats them. Remember your quota is used up.

From what I can tell there is no really dominant team that will fly through their bracket. Should be interesting.

I am going to be close to Simi this afternoon so I am going to stop by and watch a couple of innings just to see how both teams look.
TO and Simi won. Royal lost a close one. Westlake was shut down by Hart. No big surprises from the Marmonte league teams. I heard that people were surprised that Royal's coach pulled their starter after 5 innings of 1 hit (a home run), no walk pitching.

After Semifinals:

Marmonte 6-3
Sunset 2-3*
Ivy 1-3*
Moore 5-3*
South Coast 2-3*
Trinity 5-3*
Mtn. View 3-3*
Century 2-3*
Foothill 4-3*
Inland Valley 1-3*

* = eliminated
Last edited by CADad
CADad:

Watched the first 3 innings of the Simi game. The Vista Del Lago pitcher looked pretty good. Lefty 81-83, max 84 with a nice breaking pitch. Simi pitcher was 78-80, max 81 a little wild but did OK. VDL was certainly a better pitcher than Simi but the Simi bats carried them through.

I am going to catch a few innings of the St Bonnie game on my way home this evening.

You were right again so you are over quota.
BOF,
That's about where I thought the Simi pitcher was, although I haven't seen him throw in person this year. Simi will probably go with Sandler or Thiel in their next game. Sandler is a 84-85 type on a Stalker I believe, although I've never seen any readings so I could be pretty far off. I think he's been at the same velocity for a couple years now. I don't know what Thiel throws.

Simi is going to be just plain nasty next year with many of their better hitters returning and they should have much better pitching with Sandler, Jones and Meyer. Royal will probably have the best pitching with Berglund and Buckel returning. TO will probably drop off a bit but still be decent with Thomson anchoring the staff. He's a solid pitcher but he was an early maturer and it remains to be seen if he's going to pick up much velocity by next season. Westlake is losing some good seniors but still has some good hitters among the underclassmen. I have to wonder about their chemistry next year after the way their coach cut them down in the papers for losing to a better Hart team. Moorpark has a couple talented pitchers along with decent pitching depth but I don't know if they'll get the work they need between now and the end of next season to be the aces that they'll have to develop into for Moorpark to make the playoffs given a probable lack of hitting. There's a chance the coach will give the work to the softer throwers who will do OK but don't have much chance of developing into aces, or that he'll make the mistake of trying to make one of the harder throwers into a closer. That's just a way to get less innings out of one of your best pitchers at the HS level. Newbury Park is losing several talented hitters. Agoura is going to have a strong hitting team and could win quite a few games despite not having that much pitching once again, although they'll be returning a couple pitchers so it should be improved somewhat. They also seemed to have some players at the JV level who were clearly better than some of the varsity players including a lefty pitcher. Calabasas will probably stay about at the level they were this past season.

Just some very premature speculation and things will begin to sort themselves out during VIBL, scout ball and winter VIBL.
Last edited by CADad
1st round:
CADad 13-3
MaxPreps Rankings 14-2
no11 15-1

2nd round:
Los Al (4) over Canyon (80)
Capo (8) over Mater Dei (2)
Valencia (44) over Lakewood (43)
Simi (11) over King (22)
Hart (12) over Canyon Springs (112)
Wilson (24) over Tesoro (14)
TO (5) over Norco (17)
Lutheran (1) over El Modena (83)

The numbers in parentheses are the MaxPreps CIF SS rankings which are based on a computer model. Rankings like that can't take into account pitching matchups for an individual game of course but it looks like I'm predicting upsets with Capo and Wilson and taking Valencia in a tossup with Lakewood. These rankings were done before the first playoff game.

For some of those from the local area here are some MaxPreps CIF SS rankings of interest:
Crespi (3)
NP (45)
Alemany (102)
Ventura (160)
Last edited by CADad
I might have guessed well enough through the first round, but DI only. Now the rubber is starting to meet the road.

Here's my 2nd round guesses.

DI: LosAl, Mater Dei (by a squeeker - don't know, could also go to Capo. Matzek will pitch for Capo, not sure about MD - Northcraft?), Lakewood, Simi, Hart, Wilson, TO, OLu.

DII: Temecula, Oxnard, Upland, Trabuco, VM, Cypress, El Toro, West

DIII: Crespi, Don Lugo, Elsinore, Laguna Hills, Cal, QH, Paloma V., ND

DIV: Norte Vista, Torrance, Kaiser, Savanna, St. Bone, DR, Cath City, Patriot.

Let's see if I can do as equally poor with these guesses as I did with my last ones.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.