Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

It's interesting to read some of the adjectives and phrases used to describe these All-Americans:

"he'll never be more than an adequate defender at first base"

"His range is limited and his hands are average at best"

"he's a below-average runner and athlete"

"The toolsiest (UCLA's Brandon Crawford) makes inconsistent contact and hit .189 on the Cape; the best hitter (Georgia's Gordon Beckham) is an average defender; and the best glove men (Long Beach State's Danny Espinosa, Baylor's Beamer Weems) have questionable bats."

"He can get out of control offensively and defensively when he tries to do too much."

"shows just average bat speed and an inconsistent feel for hitting"

"scouts still aren't sure what to make of him because his curveball and splitter are inconsistent, and he showed little interest in pitching while in the Cape Cod League last summer"

"His performance has been so average and even below..."

Just goes to show that even the best of the best have their weaknesses.
I was a tad surprised at how some of these kids were brutally critiqued by the men in the Ivory towers.

Maybe the true way to evaluate these kids is to take the college summer leagues a step further and have a National Tournament post season with the best teams of each league. These metal bats do nobody any good, hitter or pitcher.

But then again, the GM's may be posturing because come draft day, some kid who ""shows just average bat speed and an inconsistent feel for hitting" is going to get a fat paycheck$$ Cool
Last edited by OLDSLUGGER8
quote:
Originally posted by OLDSLUGGER8:
I was a tad surprised at how some of these kids were brutally critiqued by the men in the Ivory towers.

Unfortunetly the better player you are the more you are scrutinized. For those of you who may have college players or beyond, lots written it is not for the thin skinned.

I don't beleive in a lot of this pre season stuff either, but it sells subscriptions and lets you know who is high on the radar. I am willing to say most of those mentioned will end up being college All Americans and drafted high. They have already seperated themselves from the pack.
Last edited by TPM
quote:

But then again, the GM's may be posturing because come draft day, some kid who ""shows just average bat speed and an inconsistent feel for hitting" is going to get a fat paycheck$$ Cool

I somewhat find that upsetting. My son wasn't a preseason or after season ALL American but if you read some of the scouting reports, they were brutal.
Yet somehow he did ok. As infield08 posted, these players are not near perfect, but those in the business of scouting somehow see things that we don't and those comments don't mean they are not the best of the best.
I know some of those players mentioned, they are really good kids, tough and highly talented. The pre season reports won't bother them a bit.
Last edited by TPM
quote:
Originally posted by TPM:
quote:

I somewhat find that upsetting.

Hope you are not upset with me...........that was a quote from a GM, and as far as I am concerned, MLB has no right to ctiticize student-athletes as they don't belong to them.

If they opt to draft them later on, then they paid for their right to evaluate them publicly or privately. If the gurus feel this crop are that weak, imagine what they think of all the other kids not listed??

If anyone had any balls, they would get these awful metal bats banned, get MLB to fund the NCAA for wooden bats(like they need money?), then use the three years of college ball as a true feeder system to Pro ball, leveling the playing field and allowing pitchers to properly develop as well as hitters.

The cream does rise to the top, but the process is murky with false results causing a longer waiting period to see who can cut it. In the meantime, they just plug the holes with cheap imports.

By the way.......... a BIG to these kids
Last edited by OLDSLUGGER8

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.