Skip to main content

I crunched some numbers from PG summer showcases and came up with the following averages for Class of 2008 RHPs:

Average Max. Velocity: 79 mph
Average Birthdate: Sept 1989
Average Height: 6'
Average Weight: 170

This came from a sample of 25 RHPs; all I could find from PG's summer events. The 08 pitchers will come out in much greater force in next spring/summers showcases.

Sometimes it helps to know these things, but mostly it's just for fun.
"I would be lost without baseball. I don't think I could stand being away from it as long as I was alive." Roberto Clemente #21
Last edited {1}
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

quote:
Average Max. Velocity: 79 mph

No doubt that group is far above average in speed. If my 15-year old could throw 85, you can bet I'd be carting him around to every showcase within 1,000 miles.

Kids must understand that showcases are biased toward fast pitchers. That is even more true of the youngest kids attending.

A 2008 who throws around 70 is doing just fine
I am not a fan of the faster the better - but I am also realistic.

Speed gets you noticed.

I was at the PG tournament in Ft Myers a few weeks ago. At that YOUNGER age group - if you can hum it - people will be talking.
I saw some kids gunning it - including a few on our team. They got their brains beat in. Doesnt matter.

If you can pitch it at lesser speeds - the interest is limited.

Just the way it is IMO.

I assume it is about projectability. They are probably right.
Last edited by itsinthegame
quote:
Here's a stat for you. I've seen 3 thirteen year olds that threw 90. It's a meaningless stat.

Robert Stock was first clocked at 90 when he was just a bit shy of age 15. I'm almost certain that no current 13-yo can hit 90.

---
"At the age of 14 last summer, Robert Stock became the youngest player ever to make Team USA's youth national team, which finished second in a qualifying tournament in Mexico. He was the second-youngest player of the roster—yet the team’s No. 1 pitcher."

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.